7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Advice on interior LED color

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 04:17 PM

Advice on interior LED color

I recently got a 2014 Maxima S and wanted to replace the door lights, map, dome, and license plate lights with LED's.

It's not my first walk in the park with LED's - I installed them in my 97 GXE a few years ago. However, the color I chose then was so blinding that I basically never turned on a single interior light except the door ones because I didn't have a choice.

So, to not repeat that mistake now, and realizing that those bulbs in the 97 were probably 'cool white', I'm curious if someone can post what natural white vs. warm white looks like? Also, do I need a load resistor or anything for the 2014 Maxima's?

It seems like all the bulbs I need are 194's, so I'll order from here: https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...rofit-car/206/

I know I don't want the license plate to be warm, so I'll stick to natural white on that, so they are illuminated with a pure white glow that isn't bluish either? I've seen some of the newer Lexus license plates, and they are pretty white - I don't know if that's natural white or cool white?

But I'm conflicted whether the warm white for the interior will just look like the stock incandescent bulbs, but brighter (which I wouldn't mind) - the only thing I know is that the super bright white, like the ones I had in my 97 Maxima, are annoying, and I never want anything like that because it hurts your eyes if you look at them for longer than a few minutes.

Last edited by tarun900; 02-28-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:34 PM

I tried warm white in my mother's car because she hates cool white and needed to replace some bulbs so I figured why not go LED. They look pretty similar to incandescent bulbs. I'm not sure why you would do the swap though. If you like warm white keep stock bulbs.

These are the warm bulbs I used:
Amazon.com: AGT Brand 4x 194 168 5-SMD Warm White Natural High Power LED Car Lights Bulb: Automotive Amazon.com: AGT Brand 4x 194 168 5-SMD Warm White Natural High Power LED Car Lights Bulb: Automotive

However I put cool white bulbs in my Maxima and love them. They aren't too bright. I'm kinda attached to cool white though every bulb in my cars/houses is cool white. I just bought a 10 pack of 194s and did the entire interior. I can get some pics tomorrow night if you like.

Edit: don't pay $5 per led on superbright I have 3 10 packs of these and only had one early failure (vibration from subs probably killed it early): http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00755...bJL&ref=plSrch

Last edited by Liquid_pjear; 02-28-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Liquid_pjear
I tried warm white in my mother's car because she hates cool white and needed to replace some bulbs so I figured why not go LED. They look pretty similar to incandescent bulbs. I'm not sure why you would do the swap though. If you like warm white keep stock bulbs.

These are the warm bulbs I used: Amazon.com: AGT Brand 4x 194 168 5-SMD Warm White Natural High Power LED Car Lights Bulb: Automotive

However I put cool white bulbs in my Maxima and love them. They aren't too bright. I'm kinda attached to cool white though every bulb in my cars/houses is cool white. I just bought a 10 pack of 194s and did the entire interior. I can get some pics tomorrow night if you like.

Edit: don't pay $5 per led on superbright I have 3 10 packs of these and only had one early failure (vibration from subs probably killed it early): http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00755...bJL&ref=plSrch
Awesome, yes I'd love to see pics when you get a chance - greatly appreciated! Ah, my concern was that warm white would be just like the stock incandescents, but brighter. How about natural white? The cool white is just too hard to stare at, at least the ones I had installed in my 97 Max.

I was actually just debating whether to buy from VLED instead of superbrightLED's because the latter seems to have a spotty quality record - so I assume based on VLED's higher pricing, you would advise I pass on that brand too?
Old 03-11-2016, 08:06 PM

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread. I've been traveling in my truck for work. Just got home and snapped some pics of the max. I threw a warm led in the back so you could see the difference. The two colors are about equal in brightness. One serious upside to buying less expensive LEDs (other than cost) is they aren't crazy bright. I can turn my cool white map lights on at night while driving and they don't blind me. They don't feel intrusive at all they just give a better look.

Sorry for huge pics and messy car it's late and I just got home from a long trip.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:10 PM

I definitely like the warm ones better - what Kelvin temp are those?
Old 03-12-2016, 08:27 AM

There isn't a temp listed. I would imagine mid to high 3k range. They are just listed as warm white. They are a dollar a LED so they are pretty cheap to try out.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DZX...jzL&ref=plSrch
Old 03-12-2016, 01:54 PM

I think I like the warmer a little better because it seems like it wouldn't be as harsh a light.

SN: What kind of cover do you have on your seats?
Old 03-12-2016, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by rayz336
I think I like the warmer a little better because it seems like it wouldn't be as harsh a light.

SN: What kind of cover do you have on your seats?
I have no idea. It was on the back seat when I bought it from the dealer. They said it was a factory protective cover but it is heavy duty stitched plastic like the expensive protection you can get custom made for classic cars and I've never seen a cover like that on a Nissan. I've left it on cause no one uses the back seat except my dogs. It's held up damn well and the rear seat is basically new.