7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

AC not working.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:48 PM

AC not working.

AC suddenly stopped blowing cold air on my way to the airport.

The AC compressor clutch does not engage. Only regular air comes in. What could it be? Help!

Last edited by Cipitiox; 06-26-2016 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:47 PM

Check the connection to the compressor (electrical) then the fuses, if it's is a fuse then you have to find out why the fuse blew. If you don't own a Multimeter I suggest you buy one.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by SR20Power
Check the connection to the compressor (electrical) then the fuses, if it's is a fuse then you have to find out why the fuse blew. If you don't own a Multimeter I suggest you buy one.
Which fuse do I check?
Old 06-26-2016, 10:46 PM

If it's not there it's going to be under the hood ( I don't see it). I Highly suggest pulling up the fuse map (made that name up) to find the proper fuse.. A lot of times you can just look into the top of the fuse and see that it's blown.

Look into the Condenser fan as well. Maybe if the fan isn' kicking on it won't kick on the compressor either, I am just guessing.. Trying to cover all the bases of the A/C systems and what could be the problem here.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:53 AM

If it's not there it's going to be under the hood ( I don't see it). I Highly suggest pulling up the fuse map (made that name up) to find the proper fuse.. A lot of times you can just look into the top of the fuse and see that it's blown.

Look into the Condenser fan as well. Maybe if the fan isn' kicking on it won't kick on the compressor either, I am just guessing.. Trying to cover all the bases of the A/C systems and what could be the problem here.
Both front fans kick in when I press the AC button. However, the compressor won't kick in lolz. wtf?
Old 06-27-2016, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Cipitiox
Both front fans kick in when I press the AC button. However, the compressor won't kick in lolz. wtf?
If you can get a multimeter to the plug that goes into the A/C check for voltage. Until then keep looking for that fuse which is under the hood.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:44 AM

If you can get a multimeter to the plug that goes into the A/C check for voltage. Until then keep looking for that fuse which is under the hood.
Just got a multimeter. Will turn the AC on unplug the Power to the clutch and check for voltage.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:44 PM

How is your feon level? If there isn't enough feon the compressor will not engage.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by rich6661
How is your feon level? If there isn't enough feon the compressor will not engage.
Gauges readout, AC on, compressor not kicking in
Low side: 130psi
High side : 50psi

Although this data is pointless as the compressor is not working.

I hear knocking sound coming from the AC Compressor pulley. This is new. Giving it a check when temperatures decrease here in Texas.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:55 AM

Gauges readout, AC on, compressor not kicking in
Low side: 130psi
High side : 50psi

Although this data is pointless as the compressor is not working.

I hear knocking sound coming from the AC Compressor pulley. This is new. Giving it a check when temperatures decrease here in Texas.
Could be the A/C clutch... If it is, the compressor will need to be removed and the clutch removed with a pulley removal tool, unless you have room to get a crowbar in there to wiggle the sucker off... So, this means removing the Freon anyway and resealing the system... Which also means it's a good idea to have a vacuum pump to remove potential moisture in the system.

When I did my 06' maxima (High pressure line) I purchased the $2.50c Wal-mart freon.. My car is ice cold in this 100+ degree weather.

Good luck keep us posted.. I am interested to know if you Compressor plug is getting power..
Old 06-29-2016, 02:07 AM

Could be the A/C clutch... If it is, the compressor will need to be removed and the clutch removed with a pulley removal tool, unless you have room to get a crowbar in there to wiggle the sucker off... So, this means removing the Freon anyway and resealing the system... Which also means it's a good idea to have a vacuum pump to remove potential moisture in the system.

When I did my 06' maxima (High pressure line) I purchased the $2.50c Wal-mart freon.. My car is ice cold in this 100+ degree weather.

Good luck keep us posted.. I am interested to know if you Compressor plug is getting power..
Narrowed it down to the AC pulley bearing. Ordering new part from nissan.$300 I believe.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:10 AM

BTW how do you check the voltage going to the AC clutch? The connector is somewhat inaccessible. Buried between the serpentine belt. Seems dangerous to take a measurement when the car us running lolz
Old 07-18-2016, 05:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

a/c help

I am having similar issues with a 2012 SV. It actually started when I was passing some other cars on a 2 lane. Didn't see an oncoming car and had to drop the hammer in order to get around them. Suddenly, the a/c, which had worked perfectly up until that time, completely stopped blowing cold air. Compressor does not engage at all. Any ideas, I need help! It's hot!

In addition, I do hear a bit of "clanging" when its at idle. Maybe the clutch?

108k miles
Old 07-19-2016, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by brphillips77
I am having similar issues with a 2012 SV. It actually started when I was passing some other cars on a 2 lane. Didn't see an oncoming car and had to drop the hammer in order to get around them. Suddenly, the a/c, which had worked perfectly up until that time, completely stopped blowing cold air. Compressor does not engage at all. Any ideas, I need help! It's hot!

In addition, I do hear a bit of "clanging" when its at idle. Maybe the clutch?

108k miles
Certainly the clutch. I decided to change the whole unit. Why not?
Same happened to me. Lost AC while merging into highway. Got a rattling noise coming from compressor. Clutch won't engage. Had pressure in the system.

So i decided to replace the compressor. Got a Denso unit made in Japan. Bought it at autozone for $ 270. Recovered refrigerant. Ran a pump. Removed old compressor. Was a pain in the @ss. Two bolts holding the compressor were really hard to get to. Used a torch to loose them. 14mm. Took off serpentine belt.

Hardest part was taking off the L and H lines connected to compressor. Had to use tiny 10mm wrenches. Took out old compressor and installed new denso unit. Repeat backwards. Reinstalling was a breeze. Less than an hour.

Ran a vaccum again for 1hr. Put the belt back on. Turned AC on and added 20oz of r134a refrigerant. Result: got fresh cold air. Total cost $350. Took 6 hours and lots of sweat in Texas heat lolz. Totally worth it though.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Same happened to me. Lost AC while merging into highway. Got a rattling noise coming from compressor. Clutch won't engage. Had pressure in the system.

So i decided to replace the compressor. Got a Denso unit made in Japan. Bought it at autozone for $ 270. Recovered refrigerant. Ran a pump. Removed old compressor. Was a pain in the @ss. Two bolts holding the compressor were really hard to get to. Used a torch to loose them. 14mm. Took off serpentine belt.

Hardest part was taking off the L and H lines connected to compressor. Had to use tiny 10mm wrenches. Took out old compressor and installed new denso unit. Repeat backwards. Reinstalling was a breeze. Less than an hour.

Ran a vaccum again for 1hr. Put the belt back on. Turned AC on and added 20oz of r134a refrigerant. Result: got fresh cold air. Total cost $350. Took 6 hours and lots of sweat in Texas heat lolz. Totally worth it though.
I have a 2014 maxima I'm having the same issue no cold air , I notice the 10 amp AC fuse has no power , please help
Old 07-12-2021, 02:37 AM

I totally agree. When it comes to failing AC units on older cars, sometimes it is best to just bite the bullet and replace the compressor. The cost for parts is minimal and it is possible to do it yourself. I tested my system using a set of high and low pressure gauges. It points to a failing compressor. I also replaced the condenser while I was doing the compressor replacement. I followed similar steps as yours and now I am rewarded with icy cold air coming out of my vents. It measures at a lovely 35 degrees when the outside air is 95 degrees. I live in the southeast part of US where the summer humidity can be 100%. Having a working AC is a necessity not a luxury.

Total cost for my supplies was < $400? I had a quote from a local garage who wanted almost $2500 to do what I did. LOL. I did it myself, of course. If you have never done AC work on a car, it can be intimidating. Don’t be afraid. If you can do your own brakes, you can do AC replacement too. Do it. The reward of icy cold air is well worth it.