7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 08:33 AM

Suspension Advice

Whats up Guys,

I recently changed the front and rear struts on my 2010 Maxima SV but it's still not riding as smooth as I thought it would. I still feel the bumps in the road and also hear a slight scrubbing sound. Any suggestions on what I could check before spending an insane amount of money on replacing unnecessary parts?
Old 07-26-2016, 08:01 AM

How many miles do you have on your tires? They could be the cause of your rough ride.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by ThinBlue82
How many miles do you have on your tires? They could be the cause of your rough ride.
The tires are actually brand new. I think I may just take it to a mechanic and see if they can diagnose the issue and I'll just buy the parts and do the work.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:12 PM

Rough Ride

Originally Posted by rukusmusic
Whats up Guys,

I recently changed the front and rear struts on my 2010 Maxima SV but it's still not riding as smooth as I thought it would. I still feel the bumps in the road and also hear a slight scrubbing sound. Any suggestions on what I could check before spending an insane amount of money on replacing unnecessary parts?
I see you are in the Bronx, so am I....I have been trying to get a smooth ride for 5 months now....New tires, new wheels, Rotors, multiple alignments and balances, most recently a RF balance at National. Thinking of upgrading as well as far as suspension parts. But I'm telling you, the Bronx and NYC streets are just so bad. Everywhere I go I feel everything as well. I don't think it's your car, I think it's where we live!!!! It's certainly not what a normal "street" should actually be. When I have asked the guys in the garage to test drive, they told me it felt normal to them....I'm like, nahhhh...this is a rough ride! They think I'm being particular, but I have the same issues.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:16 PM

This gen max is kinda soft suspension wise. Get that noise checked out for sure.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by ReneeNYC
I see you are in the Bronx, so am I....I have been trying to get a smooth ride for 5 months now....New tires, new wheels, Rotors, multiple alignments and balances, most recently a RF balance at National. Thinking of upgrading as well as far as suspension parts. But I'm telling you, the Bronx and NYC streets are just so bad. Everywhere I go I feel everything as well. I don't think it's your car, I think it's where we live!!!! It's certainly not what a normal "street" should actually be. When I have asked the guys in the garage to test drive, they told me it felt normal to them....I'm like, nahhhh...this is a rough ride! They think I'm being particular, but I have the same issues.
Really? What part? I'm sure I have an issue with my front end suspension. I also have a 2015 Altima and the ride is really smooth. I'll post an update when I get it checked out, we may be having the same issue.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bificus99
This gen max is kinda soft suspension wise. Get that noise checked out for sure.
Yea I'm definitely getting it checked out.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:00 AM

What struts did you get? The Tokico Illumina's can give a nice ride. You can also adjust the damping to your liking
Old 07-28-2016, 07:50 AM

Suspension

Really? What part? I'm sure I have an issue with my front end suspension. I also have a 2015 Altima and the ride is really smooth. I'll post an update when I get it checked out, we may be having the same issue.
Mos def. That would be cool. I'm off East Tremont at Parkchester. Been to a few garages, pep boys, National, and the dealer to no avail. I am researching shocks/struts now to see what would be the best upgrade. But National on Birchall Street is going my new wheels and they offer Road Force balance. Still, car not smooth. Has to be something somewhere. I was thinking if i replaced every damn thing, maybe I would find it!!!! Vibrations make me crazy. I do alot of out of town driving so I drive at much higher speeds which makes any vibrations or shakes worse.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:07 AM

suspension

Originally Posted by carlem9
What struts did you get? The Tokico Illumina's can give a nice ride. You can also adjust the damping to your liking
So I did the research and reviews and the Tokico Illumina seem great. I'm seriously considering them. However, my next worry is to whomever I have put on, how will I know how to adjust the dampening? I don't know the right RD or CD for my car.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:53 PM

Those struts have great reviews I might upgrade sooner then I wanted to. I got monroes, not the best choice but good on my pockets for now.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:55 PM

Mos def. That would be cool. I'm off East Tremont at Parkchester. Been to a few garages, pep boys, National, and the dealer to no avail. I am researching shocks/struts now to see what would be the best upgrade. But National on Birchall Street is going my new wheels and they offer Road Force balance. Still, car not smooth. Has to be something somewhere. I was thinking if i replaced every damn thing, maybe I would find it!!!! Vibrations make me crazy. I do alot of out of town driving so I drive at much higher speeds which makes any vibrations or shakes worse.
I dont experience vibrations at all. I just feel the bumps in the road more than I want to. What size/kind of wheels are putting on it?
Old 08-05-2016, 08:05 AM

I haven't had any luck finding Tokico Illuminas for my 2010 Maxima. Where is a good place to buy them?
Old 08-05-2016, 08:06 AM

So I did the research and reviews and the Tokico Illumina seem great. I'm seriously considering them. However, my next worry is to whomever I have put on, how will I know how to adjust the dampening? I don't know the right RD or CD for my car.
Have you had any luck finding these struts for your car?
Old 08-08-2016, 09:09 AM

Have you had any luck finding these struts for your car?
So the tire/wheels shop drove my car 6 times, changing in and out everything, doing RF balance 2x, changing wheels, going under 80/over 80 etc. etc. etc.

They did confirm the "squirrely" feeling I get when I go over a bump, uneven pavement or anything not perfect....feels like I'm losing control of the back end, it jumps back n forth slightly. My steering wheel is a little loose and the vibrations are noticeable over 45/50. They are telling me the rear wheel bearings need changing and rear shocks going bad. The also say they can "hear" the vibration, which I can confirm as well.

So I'm researching shocks/struts. I told them I want all 4 done to be even, not new here - old there etc. I need the wheel bearings pieces and the suspension parts and can't find Tokico Illulmina's for 2013!!!! Now, I don't know what to get. I don't want the cheapest. I want the quality ride performance. I see only a couple like Munroe and KYB. I would like a kit to ensure I have all the parts. I have no clue what to get and they are waiting on me to pick parts so I can have it fixed. Owner was hesitant to do shocks/struts, said let's just do the wheel bearings and try that first. See how it rides. But I don't want to keep going back and forth. If the shocks are going bad, which one other place said also, why not redo everything so I can move on and enjoy my car?

Only has 37K on it right now but the name of the owner for the first two years was programmed into the computer as "The Bat Man"....I'm thinking he drove it hard in the paint!!!! I just want to change the parts quickly!!!!
Old 08-10-2016, 08:18 AM

Hey where did you find these struts for the 7th gen?
Old 08-10-2016, 08:27 AM

So the tire/wheels shop drove my car 6 times, changing in and out everything, doing RF balance 2x, changing wheels, going under 80/over 80 etc. etc. etc.

They did confirm the "squirrely" feeling I get when I go over a bump, uneven pavement or anything not perfect....feels like I'm losing control of the back end, it jumps back n forth slightly. My steering wheel is a little loose and the vibrations are noticeable over 45/50. They are telling me the rear wheel bearings need changing and rear shocks going bad. The also say they can "hear" the vibration, which I can confirm as well.

So I'm researching shocks/struts. I told them I want all 4 done to be even, not new here - old there etc. I need the wheel bearings pieces and the suspension parts and can't find Tokico Illulmina's for 2013!!!! Now, I don't know what to get. I don't want the cheapest. I want the quality ride performance. I see only a couple like Munroe and KYB. I would like a kit to ensure I have all the parts. I have no clue what to get and they are waiting on me to pick parts so I can have it fixed. Owner was hesitant to do shocks/struts, said let's just do the wheel bearings and try that first. See how it rides. But I don't want to keep going back and forth. If the shocks are going bad, which one other place said also, why not redo everything so I can move on and enjoy my car?

Only has 37K on it right now but the name of the owner for the first two years was programmed into the computer as "The Bat Man"....I'm thinking he drove it hard in the paint!!!! I just want to change the parts quickly!!!!
So there's a little progress. I would stay away from Monroe struts. I changed my front and rear struts to Monroe about a month ago and I'm not satisfied with the quality of the ride but maybe I'm being ****.
I hope to find the tokico struts because of the reviews and the option to change the dampening. Lol yes, it sounds like "batman" was a tough driver.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:30 AM

suspension

So this Friday I am getting the rear suspension done. KYB -G2s for rear shocks and Timken wheel bearings and new mounts. Now the problem is couldn't find tokicos for my 2013 max. KYBs don't make matching fronts.... So if I want to change the front, which I do, just want to see if the ride is much different as the problem was in the rear suspension, not front, I have to choose between Sachs and Monroe, which obviously I'd choose Sachs. But it seems like the 2013 doesn't have many choices. I was also hoping for adjustable dampening. Recently on a roller coaster my daughter complained her seat was loose and shaky and my son commented, it doesn't shake as much as mom's car.....!!! Soooo, Friday eve I will hit a highway and hope for a smooth, shake free ride!!!! (**gulp!**)
Old 08-10-2016, 09:33 AM

Do you have any mods on your 2010 or aftermarket wheels?
Old 08-11-2016, 10:26 PM

So this Friday I am getting the rear suspension done. KYB -G2s for rear shocks and Timken wheel bearings and new mounts. Now the problem is couldn't find tokicos for my 2013 max. KYBs don't make matching fronts.... So if I want to change the front, which I do, just want to see if the ride is much different as the problem was in the rear suspension, not front, I have to choose between Sachs and Monroe, which obviously I'd choose Sachs. But it seems like the 2013 doesn't have many choices. I was also hoping for adjustable dampening. Recently on a roller coaster my daughter complained her seat was loose and shaky and my son commented, it doesn't shake as much as mom's car.....!!! Soooo, Friday eve I will hit a highway and hope for a smooth, shake free ride!!!! (**gulp!**)
Let me know how that goes and if it improves the quality of your ride.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:32 PM

Do you have any mods on your 2010 or aftermarket wheels?
So far I've only installed an r2c cold air intake and blue interior lights. I've ordered the racingline battery tie down, racingline sway bar and front and rear end links, and the eibach pro kit springs. I want to order the front strut tower brace from racingline as well but they've been sold out for weeks. I considered ordering it from stillen but I'm not ready to come off $220 for it. I think ill wait for racingline to stock up.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:01 AM

So far I've only installed an r2c cold air intake and blue interior lights. I've ordered the racingline battery tie down, racingline sway bar and front and rear end links, and the eibach pro kit springs. I want to order the front strut tower brace from racingline as well but they've been sold out for weeks. I considered ordering it from stillen but I'm not ready to come off $220 for it. I think ill wait for racingline to stock up.
How does the R2C cold air intake sound? Do you notice improvement in acceleration? Eibach is good. How is your car driving right now?
Old 08-12-2016, 06:05 AM

How does the R2C cold air intake sound? Do you notice improvement in acceleration? Eibach is good. How is your car driving right now?
The R2C CAI sounds good. Honestly, I haven't noticed any performance gains but I love the filter. I'll update you as soon as I install all of my parts.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:31 AM

So, I had the suspension done, back first, front second. The owner supervised back, was gone on vacation last week for front. I was excited because I noticed such a difference with the back. My shocks and wheel bearings were a rap! Horrible. Got Timken bearings. Took it out this weekend.....shaking again. Not as bad as it used to but Noticeable over 60 and just gets worse and worse the faster you go. I notice a sound with the shake like the engine is vibrating to it.. BUT, suspension was on point, no loose steering, the car stayed with me on corners, all that was 100 percent better.

None the less, friday, back in the shop, the owner is going to test and review the work. I am going to ask he check alignment, the sway bar and engine mount, etc etc. But, I also am looking to upgrade my exhaust. Would like a low sound like a Flowmaster. Looking to see what's best for the 2013 Max.....the struggle is real with this car.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:12 AM

So, I had the suspension done, back first, front second. The owner supervised back, was gone on vacation last week for front. I was excited because I noticed such a difference with the back. My shocks and wheel bearings were a rap! Horrible. Got Timken bearings. Took it out this weekend.....shaking again. Not as bad as it used to but Noticeable over 60 and just gets worse and worse the faster you go. I notice a sound with the shake like the engine is vibrating to it.. BUT, suspension was on point, no loose steering, the car stayed with me on corners, all that was 100 percent better.

None the less, friday, back in the shop, the owner is going to test and review the work. I am going to ask he check alignment, the sway bar and engine mount, etc etc. But, I also am looking to upgrade my exhaust. Would like a low sound like a Flowmaster. Looking to see what's best for the 2013 Max.....the struggle is real with this car.
Nice looking car. Thats progress. I think I know what your issue is. It sounds like you may need to replace your motor mounts as well if your car is shaking over 50 moh. Have them check that out and let me know.

If I catch you at a red light get ready to race it.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:24 AM

HAHAHA, no doubt! I love beating people off the light! I don't even move up. You know how drivers who are impatient, creep, creep, creep, thinking they are gonna take off at the light first. I stay half a car length back...relaxing. Time the light...I'm out! Just a little fun!
Old 08-24-2016, 09:58 AM

HAHAHA, no doubt! I love beating people off the light! I don't even move up. You know how drivers who are impatient, creep, creep, creep, thinking they are gonna take off at the light first. I stay half a car length back...relaxing. Time the light...I'm out! Just a little fun!
LOL sounds like a challenge!
Old 08-24-2016, 01:14 PM

LOL sounds like a challenge!
Where did you go to have your work done? Ive inquired several places I go to, but they don't do transmission or exhaust. Smh
I also need a new horn..I know, trivial. Rarely, hardly ever do I use my horn, but when I do, it needs to really speak! The horn on the car is definately some bicycle sh*t.....
Old 08-24-2016, 05:28 PM

I took mine to " Your family auto service center" @ 1975 Amethyst St, Bronx, NY 10462
They're pretty good.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:29 PM

Where did you go to have your work done? Ive inquired several places I go to, but they don't do transmission or exhaust. Smh
I also need a new horn..I know, trivial. Rarely, hardly ever do I use my horn, but when I do, it needs to really speak! The horn on the car is definately some bicycle sh*t.....
I took it to " Your family auto service center" @ 1975 Amethyst St, Bronx, NY 10462
They're pretty good.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:39 PM

I took it to " Your family auto service center" @ 1975 Amethyst St, Bronx, NY 10462
They're pretty good.
My place National is half a block away under the 2, on Birchall. When I drop off and pick up my car friday i'll check them. I even go to that laundry spot on the corner occassionslly, Small world.....
Old 08-24-2016, 07:55 PM

My place National is half a block away under the 2, on Birchall. When I drop off and pick up my car friday i'll check them. I even go to that laundry spot on the corner occassionslly, Small world.....
word? I go there too for smaller jobs. I'll be at the shop on amethyst Saturday morning getting some work done. if you're in the area and you see an ocean gray maxima there stop and say hello.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:06 PM

word? I go there too for smaller jobs. I'll be at the shop on amethyst Saturday morning getting some work done. if you're in the area and you see an ocean gray maxima there stop and say hello.
Ok. I could talk to them and hopefully schedule for next week. Just need an install. No repair. I'm always changing tires and wheels, messing with suspension....I have storage at national, so I'm there alot. They wanna drop it, I wanna raise the back. ...lol. you are never done with mods, addiction.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:57 AM

So I went by, made appt for next Saturday. Went between 10-11. Gonna upgrade my exhaust on tremont later today. Coming home on white Plains near tremont, passed a light gray maxima.....not sure if it was ocean gray. A grey maxima was by the auto place but it was 8th generation.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:00 AM

I'm doing flowmasters, always used them, I swear by them.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:21 AM

So I went by, made appt for next Saturday. Went between 10-11. Gonna upgrade my exhaust on tremont later today. Coming home on white Plains near tremont, passed a light gray maxima.....not sure if it was ocean gray. A grey maxima was by the auto place but it was 8th generation.
No that wasn't me. I think I saw your car at national yesterday. I went in to price some rims and tires and I saw what might have been your car sitting in front of the place.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:28 AM

No that wasn't me. I think I saw your car at national yesterday. I went in to price some rims and tires and I saw what might have been your car sitting in front of the place.
It was. ....I got there at 6 stayed to 7:30, lifted it, went over every suspension part, its good. Changing tires next week to Michelin, one control arm slightly twisted, needs correction and maintenance on calipers. Do need to check rear motor mount and install K&N perf. Kit at family auto. next sat.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:39 AM

Are you getting your work done now?
Old 09-07-2016, 01:39 PM

So I got the K&N cold air intake kit on, filters changed to K&N, put on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s and changed the bad control arm. Now I think I need a strut bar for more stability and Racingline is still sold out....I'm not doing the Stillen either.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:18 PM

Nice! How is it riding now?

Quick Reply: Suspension Advice