7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by rukusmusic
Nice! How is it riding now?
Riding now feels bad ***. Tires are proper, suspension fixed, bumps are smooth! But I have this list of things I wanna change from grille to lights. Wherever I go. ...they hear me! Need that strut bar though. Found something interesting when lifting the car, the box frame assembly not stock nissan. Yellow chalk indicates it's from a junkyard. I took photos. When I bought it, suspension was in shambles, 1 control arm twisted, 1 new tire only. ....and from what I've been shown, a new transmission. Hmmmm. It was driven one year. Sat at dealer one year. No accidents on file. I think someone at the dealer had an accident and they "repaired" it. I'm putting the pieces together as I change out pieces! I need radar installation as well. Smh #caraddiction
Old 09-07-2016, 02:56 PM

Mad progress! What did you do to correct the suspension issues?
Old 09-07-2016, 05:16 PM

Mad progress! What did you do to correct the suspension issues?
Believe it or not, even with low mileage, wheel bearings were going bad so put Timkens on, struts/shocks were no good-upgraded, new mounts, new rotors/brakes, did a Road force balance in which treds had to be realigned as the computer measurements werent right so measured from every pinion, tires (soft tire made a difference-michelin), rims, control arm. Then it was good....now I have decent torque, great grip, and speed, but I feel a slight lack of firmness I want in handling at high speeds and in corners so I need to do bars and endlinks. How is your ride?
Old 09-08-2016, 08:21 AM

Thanks for that. I think I'll check mine too because it's still not riding as smooth as I want it to.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:33 AM

Thanks for that. I think I'll check mine too because it's still not riding as smooth as I want it to.
You have new tires and you did strut upgrade? Strut bar. What else? When you say not smooth, can you give me specifics of the conditions surrounding that, at what speeds, or what type of ride are you getting?
Old 09-08-2016, 09:17 AM

Tires are new continental, struts all around, racingline rsb and front/rear end links. I still feel every bump in the road and in my gas pedal, it is not vibrating at all. I believe it might be my lower control arm so I'm going back to the shop this weekend.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by ReneeNYC
You have new tires and you did strut upgrade? Strut bar. What else? When you say not smooth, can you give me specifics of the conditions surrounding that, at what speeds, or what type of ride are you getting?
Tires are new continental, struts all around, racingline rsb and front/rear end links. I still feel every bump in the road and in my gas pedal, it is not vibrating at all. I believe it might be my lower control arm so I'm going back to the shop this weekend.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:29 AM

What brand of struts/shocks did you get?
Old 09-08-2016, 10:36 AM

Struts are Monroe Spectrums. Not the best brand. Which ones do you have?
Old 09-08-2016, 10:57 AM

Struts are Monroe Spectrums. Not the best brand. Which ones do you have?
I've heard monroe ride hard. I have Sachs in front, KYB Excel in back. Kyb doesn't make fronts and I did rear first. Tokicos were unavailable for my year of car. I wasn't happy bout 2 different types.....I've also heard Maximas feel road vibrations easy so if your suspension or tires are hard, you will feel everything. That's why I changed tires to a softer tire and I do notice difference.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:12 AM

Monroes aren't that bad, a tad stiffer than stock. One thing they do well is rebound control. Much less floaty now.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:28 AM

Well I just noticed something the past week...everytime I take off or accelerate super fast, I'm swayin' .....smh What is it now? I drive too fast to be swayin, that is not safe.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:42 AM

National just told me to bring next week, gonna check sway bar and links.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bificus99
Monroes aren't that bad, a tad stiffer than stock. One thing they do well is rebound control. Much less floaty now.
I know that floaty feeling, don't like that at all.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:42 PM

National just told me to bring next week, gonna check sway bar and links.
So if you are ever on 95 S heading into the Bronx between exits 15 and 14 do not. ...be in the passing lane. Late Sunday night hit a small pothole at 80mph, nothing but alarms, watching 2 psi sensors dropping! I actually sped up while I could to make it to the Connor street exit in Baychester right into the gas station where the air finished exiting in both passenger side tires. Flatbed tow to fix it place who didn't have my tire sizes....smh. rear one blew out the side and rim bent. Next morning National repaired rim (why I didn't buy chrome) and got new Michelins on by warranty. All is well, but that was crazy! Following some sport bikes that day I did get to go up to 110! Nice, felt normal speed. Now I'm really questioning these low profiles. Looking forward to my winter tires, safer! I'm driving like "shook ones" right now, looking down everywhere.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:19 PM

So if you are ever on 95 S heading into the Bronx between exits 15 and 14 do not. ...be in the passing lane. Late Sunday night hit a small pothole at 80mph, nothing but alarms, watching 2 psi sensors dropping! I actually sped up while I could to make it to the Connor street exit in Baychester right into the gas station where the air finished exiting in both passenger side tires. Flatbed tow to fix it place who didn't have my tire sizes....smh. rear one blew out the side and rim bent. Next morning National repaired rim (why I didn't buy chrome) and got new Michelins on by warranty. All is well, but that was crazy! Following some sport bikes that day I did get to go up to 110! Nice, felt normal speed. Now I'm really questioning these low profiles. Looking forward to my winter tires, safer! I'm driving like "shook ones" right now, looking down everywhere.
Thanks for the heads up! The streets of NY will definitely kill low profile tires and rims. Glad you got everything sorted out though. I've been holding off on installing my Eibach springs but I think I'm gonna go ahead install them next weekend since I'll have some free time. I've been hearing that they drastically change the ride quality for the worst, meaning every single bump in the road is felt. I'll update you later.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:07 AM

Are you lowered? Or intend on lowering?
Old 09-17-2016, 08:10 AM

Getting ready to do grille and lighting. I also have to order that sway bar and endlinks this week from racingline. Still no strut bar upgrade....smh
Old 12-18-2018, 10:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I see you are in the Bronx, so am I....I have been trying to get a smooth ride for 5 months now....New tires, new wheels, Rotors, multiple alignments and balances, most recently a RF balance at National. Thinking of upgrading as well as far as suspension parts. But I'm telling you, the Bronx and NYC streets are just so bad. Everywhere I go I feel everything as well. I don't think it's your car, I think it's where we live!!!! It's certainly not what a normal "street" should actually be. When I have asked the guys in the garage to test drive, they told me it felt normal to them....I'm like, nahhhh...this is a rough ride! They think I'm being particular, but I have the same issues.
man im start to believe yall its where we live NYC TRIBORO State got the worse road. I replaced most my part but the rear still going crazy wit passengers on the rear wit brand new rear sachs shocks. Smh im tryna think what else could it be.