7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seeking CVT advise from Thailand

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 08:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

seeking CVT advise from Thailand

Hi guys, I own a 2012 Teana j32, 250xv v6 here in Thailand, i believe its the same as Maxima but with 2.5cc. I am really frustrated coz no dealer here got a clue to solve my issue, and actually its pretty weird. The only thing they could say is to buy a new transmission, which it cost like 4.000 US$! We have a problem in here with the weather, its very hot and our CVTs are all suffering in this heat. I bought the car earlier in March this year second hand with 130.000km, and right after few days when i drove it on the highway I noticed a kind of whining noise from the tranny especially accelerating over 3000rpm. Next day brought the car to Nissan and I been told that in Thailand its very hot and its a common problem so I should not drive the car over 3000 rpm otherwise CVT it will overheat, they also suggested to replace the trans cooler (1200 US$) and fluid change. Found no sense replace a working cooler with another one exactly the same. So I did the Ns2 drain/fill fluid change and car act well after, the whining noise was gone and never appear again since. Instead a month later this slippage symptom comes up. So I decided to replace the cooler with an aftermarket bigger one and, as many people here on the forums suggested Ns3, I also wanted to give a try and flushed in 8lt it. After this the car were driving as never drive before...felt like new. I was very happy. Not for long, coz right after about 1/2000 km, that slippage it comes out again. After that I been trying Amsoil cvt fluid, again couple of thousand km very well then back at the same point. Replace the cooler with another with more BTU and get back to standard Ns2... same story, good for the first month then slips again. Lately I found out another weird thing, resetting cvt memory by factory settings it lead the transmission to operate properly, no signs of slippage....exactly like every time I did the fluid changes...it works as normal but just for the time of 1/2000km. This make me think that could be some kind of electronical (TCM/Software) problem more then mechanical. If it mechanical issue, let say belt or pulley damage... there should be no fluid can make better or no way that just reset the cvt memory and stop slips. But in my case at every reset or fluid change it works fine again for 1/2000 km...looks like only for the time memory its learning the new driving habits... Here nobody knows what to say if is coming to electronic issue...they just offer a new transmission. Please I welcome all suggestion and opinions...will be very much appreciate.... Am stuck and have no clue on what to do, last option will be to replace the whole transmission or selling the car... Thank you thousand...
Old 11-23-2016, 06:28 PM

Can you have the dealer check with their Consult III software what the ECM is showing for the 'deterioration' value on the CVT fluid? if it is over 210000 (a pure number, no units) then the fluid is due for replacement. I'm just guessing that possibly the ECM is going into some sort of 'safe-mode' to protect the transmission? if the CVT fluid deterioration number is not reset in the ECM, maybe this is why the problem keeps coming back?

If that's not it, then there might be an electrical problem with the transmission that is not influenced by either dirty or clean fluid?
Old 11-24-2016, 02:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi KGM,
thanks in advance for you interest and quick reply, really appreciate.
As I normally use to monitoring temperatures am using a bluetooth OBDll paired with Android and this App CVTz50 which gives me all transmission data, I can guarantee that fluid deterioration values been reset at every fluid change, and last time was a moth ago I reset it myself with this App. Also there are no CVT/DTC detected, even tested with Consult lll no faults codes at all! Its weird isn't?? Lately am thinking if it could be a ROM communication problem with TCM, if am right I understood that in the ROM are stored some kind of "calibration parameters" which are communicated to the TCM...or something like that. If those parameters for any reason are not correct or being corrupted, probably need to be erased then rewritten... but am not sure, its just a thought. Your opinion will be very appreciate... thanks a lot...