7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intelligent Key

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 10:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Intelligent Key

Well,

I have a 2011 Nissan Maxima and I must say this is the first issue I have ever had with it. The other day, I was driving down the road and suddenly the car beeped and said no key detected. I didn't think much of it because it was in my pocket. I get home and turn the car off and go inside. I attempt to go out later and this is where the fun begins... the buttons on the outside of the car don't respond, the fob doesn't respond and the car doesn't sense the fob at all.

I replaced the FOB battery twice, I have stuck it in the slot holder, nothing. The car refuses to sense the key is there. Even when I stick it in the slot holder, it still keeps telling me to insert it.

The ONLY way I have found to get around it is to unplug the car battery and then for 5 minutes after the battery is reconnected the fob works without issue....then it stops being detected all over again until I reset the car.

Any idea?
Old 01-13-2017, 03:58 PM

Your car battery could be failing, is it still the original?.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

We thought of that as well because it was the original battery. We went and purchased a new one.... same issue.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Still no resolve. It can't be the steering wheel lock because there has never been a fuse in it for it to even work if there is one. Brand new battery in car, brand new battery in fob. Oddly enough it started working for about a week and then started the crap all over again.

The only way to crank the car is to take the negative terminal off and put it back on then run to the car and crank it before it stops sensing the key.

What in hell could be wrong!?
Old 02-11-2017, 06:23 PM

I had to bend the contacts of my key fob to make mine work early on. You know there is a key fob holder on the dash to lower left of the steering wheel. Put the fob in to override the keyless start function.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Bificus99
I had to bend the contacts of my key fob to make mine work early on. You know there is a key fob holder on the dash to lower left of the steering wheel. Put the fob in to override the keyless start function.
Yeah I've always been aware of the fob holder. The dashboard will tell me to insert it after it says no key but it still doesn't work. It's like the system doesn't sense it. After about 30 seconds (after resetting car battery) it quits sensing. Key holder doesn't override it either even though its supposed to.

Guess I'll have to break down and pay the $175 Nissan Diagnostic fee. Took it to several locals and they have no clue.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My only guess is something is wrong with the fob since it won't even override the car when I put it in the slot. Either that, or the system that senses the key in the slot doesn't work. At first they told me it was the steering wheel lock but my car has never even had a fuse in the slot for that...so that can't be it. lol
Old 02-12-2017, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Bell
My only guess is something is wrong with the fob since it won't even override the car when I put it in the slot. Either that, or the system that senses the key in the slot doesn't work.
I think the NATS amp in the key slot is failing. You'd need a dealer-level diagnostic tool to pull out the code. I'm suspecting B2190. If not the amp then it's the BCM.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Costee
I think the NATS amp in the key slot is failing. You'd need a dealer-level diagnostic tool to pull out the code. I'm suspecting B2190. If not the amp then it's the BCM.
3 months later and the issue kept happening. Multiple dealership visits and they all wanted to replace the entire system even though it threw no codes. I finally decided to tear apart the dash myself to find out why the port didn't even work. After 30 minutes of digging around I found the port wasn't even plugged in. So I plugged it in and it solved everything.

So much for needing a new system *rolls eyes* They could've done a much better job of investigating for sure. Someone had unplugged the port, wrapped up the connector in electrical tape and taped it to the inside of the dash. I don't understand why or how.... but, it's working flawlessly.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:05 AM

good for you! You beat the dealer which is sad they are supposed to know the car, but you saved a lot of money! if they replaced the system who knows how much and how long it would of taken..