7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Fluids help... not sure what it is!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 04:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Fluids help... not sure what it is!

My wife pointed out a dark purple fluid on the floor of the garage roughly below where my drivers CV shaft would be located. I've gone through this car meticulously since I've owned it never seen purple fluid in this car. Please any help will be appreciated.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:34 PM

Since it is coming from the vicinity of the CV shaft it could be CVT oil although Nissan CVT oil is not purple. Did you ever have the CVT fluid changed using a different type?
Old 04-20-2017, 07:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

No. It's only been changed by certified Nissan techs at woodhouse Nissan in Omaha. When I check the tranny oil it is a greenish yellow tint. Not your typical purple. That's what's stumping me.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:19 AM

check your cvt axles the grease in there is sometimes purple, the rubber boots.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:19 AM

This is a "stumper." On the Driver's Side you have the CVT Filter and Brake Fluid, Neither of which is "purple" or "reddish." The Power Steering Pump is on the other side (Passenger) but you "could" have a leak from the Power Steering Rack on that side (Nissan calls it Steering Gear.) Keep an eye on your Power Steering Fluid Level and see if it is going down. As far as I know, the only "Purple" or "Reddish" fluid in the entire vehicle is Power Steering (aka ATF) fluid.

Now if it is more like grease than fluid, I have seen diluted grease appear "purple" from the CVT boot, but I am going to go with either a loose connector on the Power Steering Rack or a Seal in the Rack going bad.

Please do let us know what you find and good luck.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I never thought to check boots. I'll do that tonight. The fluid on the ground was just like oil with a purple tint. Not the consistency of grease but it's something to check off the list. I went through all the fluids last night to make sure everything was at its proper levels and all was well. While we're on the subject does the tranny fluid need to be check when the vehicle is running or when it's off but at operating Temps?? Thanks again for all the help. This place has been awesome for me to get answers for my car!
Old 04-21-2017, 06:26 AM

One more possibility, Nissan long life coolant is blue. I guess it is possible that if it hasn't been changed in a while it could be dirty and appear a dark blue or slightly purple in color? Probably stretching here...