7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential New Owner 2011 SV Premium

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 10:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Potential New Owner 2011 SV Premium

Hey folks,

I'm thinking about buying my mom's 2011 Maxima SV Premium, with only 39,500 miles on it. I currently drive a 2012 Audi Q7 TDI, and Audi is buying it back due to the diesel class action lawsuit. I can't figure out what I want right now, and my mom needs to get rid of her Maxima (no longer driving due to health issues) so it seems logical to just buy her car and drive it until I figure out what I really want.

Here's the catch: it has sat for over a year, and has only been started/driven occasionally during that period. I drove it last weekend, and it did fine. The tires, which probably only have about 5k on them, initially had some flat spots but those worked out after a few miles. The airbag light on the instrument panel is blinking, so I know I have to get that fixed. Also, I will definitely get the oil changed.

Are there other issues I should be concerned with, or other things I should have checked? Any common issues with this generation Maxima?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:08 PM

I will buy it from you. Pm me your price.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm not interested in selling it - I am buying it.

Any advice from the owner community on things to have checked out on it is appreciated.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:52 AM

If it were me and I've owned 3 Maxima's and a 2010 Murano. I would personally get rid of the battery, Nissan still used crappy water cell batteries in that yr car. Other than an oil change and checking the fluid levels you should be good.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks! I put a new battery in it last weekend. I'll definitely do an oil change, and even though it only has about 40K on the odometer I'll probably do a CVT fluid change and new spark plugs.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Storm33
Thanks! I put a new battery in it last weekend. I'll definitely do an oil change, and even though it only has about 40K on the odometer I'll probably do a CVT fluid change and new spark plugs.

I was going to suggest changing the CVT fluid and plugs as added security. I personally change my CVT fluid every 50k miles and I did my spark plugs at 100k.

One thing I totally forgot that you should change is the cabin filter, I think the service life on it is around 30k miles. Good luck man you're getting a nicely optioned car that you fortunately know the history on.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the tips! I'll add the cabin filter to the list.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:29 PM

It's not like spark plugs go bad with age...and these are Iridium plugs, right?

I'd definitely check to make sure no critters have made their home in in...mice, rats, in particular.
Definitely change the oil, wouldn't hurt to put a few ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas tank and oil. Check the brake fluid to make sure it's free of any water contamination. If the fuel is really old, it should be pumped out and replaced with new.