7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy this 2010 Maxima, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 11:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Looking to buy this 2010 Maxima, need advice

http://www.centennialnissanofcharlot...ma-2010-570573

I'm going for a test drive soon, but I'd like to know more about this car coming from more experienced maxima owners in this forums. Any tips, things to be aware of are appreciated. I like really the overall elements that Maxima brings to driving experience and it's a car that fits my basic needs with that little feel of luxurious. Thank you!
Old 01-02-2018, 07:44 AM

I own a 2009 SV Sport, first year of this generation model, and have not had any problems with it, in fact this is the best car I have ever owned, 10 so far both foreign and domestic. I see you must be Canadian as the dealership is on PEI. Welcome to the forum, I live just South of you across the border on the Olympic Peninsula.

When you do your test drive try to keep it for a couple of hours and make sure everything works, all the lights, electronics, heat/cooling, check the engine fluids for color and smell. With those miles the car is due for its second CVT oil change. Make sure the first one was done, was due at 60,000 miles. IF you buy try to get a short term warranty for anything that might pop up during the first 60 days.

If the car was well cared for and maintained well you should have many fun driving miles with it. Good Luck
Old 01-02-2018, 09:19 AM

If I'm to understand the conversion correctly, they're asking about $7915 US for a car with about 80,000 miles on it. If the car is in great shape, that's not a bad deal. Of course get them lower then they're asking price always, but it's already a decent deal based on a quick bluebook check.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi guys! I went this afternoon for a test drive, I really liked the car overall, cvt sounded about right, but when I asked the salesperson, he said the car was running without new cvt fluid according to the records [See pictures] and the mechanics from the dealership. I also noticed some rust on the brakes, but I'm not sure if they will affect the car very negatively. [See picture] In the CarProof report, there was a 2600$ repair that has been done to the car body. I don't know if that should be something to be worried about.
Thank you guys for the replies, it helped a lot! Rust on brake
one repair costing 2600 at 24k km
service records
service records
service records
brake rust
Old 01-03-2018, 05:32 AM

That rust is likely because of road salt, so it's probably normal on most cars up there. It's all surface stuff that isn't painted. Check under the car for rust in the lower framework and supports, especially around the front of the car under the Radiator. Being that it's been repaired explains the lower price, forced depreciation. They probably shafted the previous owner with a lowball tradin value, so be sure you get them as low as possible based on that. Also, if the CVT hasn't been done, is this a Nissan dealership?

Based on this: https://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/techpu...2010_N_SMG.pdf
Trans fluid should be inspected at many intervals, but on Page 34 it says replace at 60,000 miles. You're more then 20,000 miles overdue. You've got a monster bargaining chip right there. First, I'd have them do the fluid for free and give you a drivetrain 12 month warrantee before I'd even consider their price. You're outside of all warrantee, and extended warrantee may be hard to get. If they offered in house drivetrain warrantee I'd pay that price. Without that, I'd still want the fluid swapped, CVT inspected, then test before you buy. Also knock $1000 off the price, down to about $6900 US or so. See what they are willing to do, again, you've got the repair that depreciated the car initially, the CVT stuff is a little scary though.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I will check under the car again, but from what I saw from the previous test drive, it looks okay. This is a Nissan dealership. 2nd owner I believe he said.
The car does have a warranty under Nissan for 200,000 KM or 10 years, whichever comes first. However, like you said, the CVT is what worries me the most, so I'll have to talk to the dealer about that again.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:47 AM

A full standard manufacture's warranty for the next 2-3 years or another 70,000km...are you 100% certain it is transferable, and covers more then just powertrain? That deal just got super sweet with that kind of piece of mind. How is that warrantee even possible? Was this once certified pre-owned and that's what is being honored? Yeah, I'd still get them to at least throw in the trans fluid service for free, but even at asking price that's a decent deal.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
A full standard manufacture's warranty for the next 2-3 years or another 70,000km...are you 100% certain it is transferable, and covers more then just powertrain? That deal just got super sweet with that kind of piece of mind. How is that warrantee even possible? Was this once certified pre-owned and that's what is being honored? Yeah, I'd still get them to at least throw in the trans fluid service for free, but even at asking price that's a decent deal.
Actially a transmission warranty and dealer is willing to change transmission fluid and gives a in house warranty of 60 days.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:20 PM

As for the repair, I'd not worry about it. Over six years old and frankly, it isn't hard to spend that kind of $$$$ on a repair...works out to about USD $2,000. My wife's car had $3,400 damage done when some punks keyed the left side of the car, got the doors and quarter panels.

Previous owner was diligent about servicing, and to me that is a HUGE plus in the car's favor. If you can, find out who he/she was and see what they have to say about the car. I've done this several times over the years, and had similar contact by potential buyers of cars I'd traded to dealers.