Have anyone asked the Nissan Dealer to set engine braking to OFF in Maxima 2009? - Maxima Forums

Go Back  Maxima Forums > Maxima Discussions > 7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015)
Reload this Page >

Have anyone asked the Nissan Dealer to set engine braking to OFF in Maxima 2009?

7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Have anyone asked the Nissan Dealer to set engine braking to OFF in Maxima 2009?

Old 12-06-2018, 10:09 PM

Hello,
Maxima 2009 with 82k miles. Around where I live there are some hilly roads, one of these is very close to the road I take when coming out of my apartment complex. I hate it (these chilly cold days) when engine is not very warmed up to normal temperature for the RPM to shoot between 2k to 3k when going down hill. Now I understand that it is a safety feature for the car so it makes going downhill "more controlled", but I am a slow and careful driver anyway lol
I am taking the car to Nissan dealer for a CVT fluid change (damn I wish I had the space and a good ramp to do the fluid change myself!). Should I ask them to disable the engine braking (see FSM section TM-34. They have to access that section in CONSULT when they will reset fluid deterioration level)?
Anyone has asked the dealer to do it? any thoughts?
Thanks
Old 12-07-2018, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by mahanddeem View Post
Hello,
Maxima 2009 with 82k miles. Around where I live there are some hilly roads, one of these is very close to the road I take when coming out of my apartment complex. I hate it (these chilly cold days) when engine is not very warmed up to normal temperature for the RPM to shoot between 2k to 3k when going down hill. Now I understand that it is a safety feature for the car so it makes going downhill "more controlled", but I am a slow and careful driver anyway lol
I am taking the car to Nissan dealer for a CVT fluid change (damn I wish I had the space and a good ramp to do the fluid change myself!). Should I ask them to disable the engine braking (see FSM section TM-34. They have to access that section in CONSULT when they will reset fluid deterioration level)?
Anyone has asked the dealer to do it? any thoughts?
Thanks
You don't need a ramp to change the Cvt fluid.. can easily get under there to the 10 allen bolt and drop the drain plug and drain.
Second, the dealer most likely will not disable anything like that due to safety concerns.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Nmax5150 View Post
You don't need a ramp to change the Cvt fluid.. can easily get under there to the 10 allen bolt and drop the drain plug and drain.
Second, the dealer most likely will not disable anything like that due to safety concerns.
Thanks for your reply. Even if I don't need to lift the car to open the tranny plug, I need enough space to go around the area (never been underneath this car) and also change the external CVT filter, I hate to rush a sensitive job concerning this picky transmission.

For disabling engine braking (after some search), I found this, and yes, dealers can do it and did it for some people in the past
https://maxima.org/forums/7th-genera...aking-off.html
Thanks

Last edited by mahanddeem; 12-07-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:52 AM

Thanks for your reply. Even if I don't need to lift the car to open the tranny plug, I need enough space to go around the area (never been underneath this car) and also change the external CVT filter, I hate to rush a sensitive job concerning this picky transmission.

For disabling engine braking (after some search), I found this, and yes, dealers can do it and did it for some people in the past
https://maxima.org/forums/7th-genera...aking-off.html
Thanks
Well , if its worth paying over $100 to have it done, go for it.. They will charge you at least 1 hour check out.. and most shops are at least $140 an hour now.....
Old 12-13-2018, 07:06 PM

Well, dealer did my CVT fluid drain and refill (drained 4.5 quarts) and changed the external filter for me. They were about to set engine braking to OFF using the CONSULT, quoted me $65 for that process (they estimated it half an hour labor). They seem not to care about CVT fluid reset status, so they did not attach vehicle to CONSULT. They pulled the car out before doing it, so I will be back to them at a later time for it. But they definitely can do it for me.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

theres a app for that allows you to turn it off if you have android and a bluetooth obd2
Old 12-30-2018, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Anthony Langley View Post
theres a app for that allows you to turn it off if you have android and a bluetooth obd2
Only CONSULTIII can hook up to ECM and does the job (correct me if I'm wrong) unless something new came out.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

If this wasnít what your looking for I apologize
Old 12-31-2018, 05:19 PM

If this wasnít what your looking for I apologize
Never heard about that before, can you send link please ?

Edit: Found it in Google play.

Edit 2: Man you're great! thanks! I bought the app and it worked like a charm. Set engine braking to off from default! No more stupid RPM to 2.5k to 3k when going slight downhill!
Thanks a bunch.
I owe you a beer lol

Last edited by mahanddeem; 12-31-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

CVTz50

Old 01-01-2019, 08:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I didnít even see you had found it my bad man but no problem we all here for each other join the 7gen maxima group on Facebook if you havenít already
Old 01-02-2019, 06:49 AM

That's pretty nifty! How does the phone interface with the car, USB and that's it?
Old 01-02-2019, 07:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bluetooth obd2

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL View Post
That's pretty nifty! How does the phone interface with the car, USB and that's it?
As long as you have a Bluetooth obd2 a android phone or tablet and $5 your good to go
Old 01-02-2019, 08:59 AM

Great app, provided you have a Bluetooth OBDii dongle.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:38 PM

Those of you who turned engine braking off. Does the vehicle coast more easily to a stop light on level ground? . My 2014 engine brakes on level ground when coasting to a stop. I don't want that to happen. I never understood the point of it. I would think that actually decreases fuel economy
Old 01-03-2019, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Nopike View Post
Those of you who turned engine braking off. Does the vehicle coast more easily to a stop light on level ground? . My 2014 engine brakes on level ground when coasting to a stop. I don't want that to happen. I never understood the point of it. I would think that actually decreases fuel economy
Do you have engine braking off?
I was imagining, as you mentioned, engine braking is in effect even when letting of gas on level roads costing to a stop (light or sign). I have it off now, car "seems" and "feels" more free when off gas. I guess you have to try it for yourself (if you're still have the EB on default).
Old 01-04-2019, 01:49 PM

Do you have engine braking off?
I was imagining, as you mentioned, engine braking is in effect even when letting of gas on level roads costing to a stop (light or sign). I have it off now, car "seems" and "feels" more free when off gas. I guess you have to try it for yourself (if you're still have the EB on default).
No I have not turned EB off. I am trying to decide if it is worth turning off. Seems easy enough with the instructions provided in this thread. Currently when EB kicks in during coasting I press on the gas pedal gently and that seems to disengage it. You are right I may just try turning it off and see if I find that an improvement.

I found this article that makes me think it may be a useful feature after all. I am not sure if this applies to the 7th Gen Maxima or only to newer models.
https://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TEC...ine_brake.html

Last edited by Nopike; 01-04-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Without some engine braking wouldn’t you have to ride your brakes down hills to stay at the speed limit, and would downshifting a gear when descending steep grades in the mountains have little effect in helping to maintain a sane speed without overheated brakes? I commute about 90 miles a day on urban interstate and use engine braking a lot to maintain proper distance from the car in front. I'd think without it I'd be on the brakes a lot more.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by jevery View Post
Without some engine braking wouldnít you have to ride your brakes down hills to stay at the speed limit, and would downshifting a gear when descending steep grades in the mountains have little effect in helping to maintain a sane speed without overheated brakes? I commute about 90 miles a day on urban interstate and use engine braking a lot to maintain proper distance from the car in front. I'd think without it I'd be on the brakes a lot more.
definitely. With no engine braking, car just stays in highest "gear" and "welcomes" the speed rise from going downhill (for example) with no further action, otherwise normally it would downshift and RPM jumps to 2k to 3k.
I think the decision to disable EB or leaving it factory setting (on) comes down to where the car is driven. Around where I live there are some minor downhill roads that would not put severe stress on the brakes if EB is turned off. I believe if someone is frequently traveling long stretches of high speed downhill interstate then that's totally different and it would be dangerous to ride the brakes for too long.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by jevery View Post
Without some engine braking wouldnít you have to ride your brakes down hills to stay at the speed limit, and would downshifting a gear when descending steep grades in the mountains have little effect in helping to maintain a sane speed without overheated brakes? I commute about 90 miles a day on urban interstate and use engine braking a lot to maintain proper distance from the car in front. I'd think without it I'd be on the brakes a lot more.
1) Most people do not live in areas that have enough mountains/ hills for this to matter.
2) Most vehicles do not have an engine braking function like the Maxima. Downshifting and using the brakes in a conservative manner probably works just as well.

I decided I will just leave EB turn on. It does not appear to engage most times that I coast to a traffic light. When it does I do find it annoying but giving the accelerator a brief light press disengages it.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Nopike View Post
1) Most people do not live in areas that have enough mountains/ hills for this to matter.
2) Most vehicles do not have an engine braking function like the Maxima. Downshifting and using the brakes in a conservative manner probably works just as well.

I decided I will just leave EB turn on. It does not appear to engage most times that I coast to a traffic light. When it does I do find it annoying but giving the accelerator a brief light press disengages it.
My 2003 AT had some severe engine braking when going on steep downhills. Saying "most vehicles..." Is an underestimate.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:15 PM

I didnít even see you had found it my bad man but no problem we all here for each other join the 7gen maxima group on Facebook if you havenít already
Joined already, thanks.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you!

I can't believe I found this app til now! Not only does it remove the breaking, but it does advance the timing by 2 Degrees. All for 4.99!