7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 11:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Steering issue

This is really weird. I have a 2009 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV. All of a sudden, when I first start driving it will pull to the right when going down a curved road, so
much so that it feels like im gonna crash — it almost sticks but I can pull through. Nevertheless, it only happens when I first start out driving. For whatever reason, it’s as if once it warms up (like me when I get up, my joints gotta get into motion to act right lol), it’s all good n corrects itself. heading to dealer today but since it’s not running/listing/showing check engine code, they’ll likely charge a huge diagnostic fee. Anyone have this problem before?? Any advice would b great. Thanks!
Old 12-12-2018, 01:14 PM

Rack or in need of power steering flush.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Bificus99
Rack or in need of power steering flush.

yup, u called it - the dealer said the rack needs replacement. About a stack ($1k) to fix. Just bought the car in July, put less than 2000 miles on it. Is there any way this could happen in this short period of time or do u think it was like that when they sold me the car?
Old 12-12-2018, 05:33 PM

Lack of fluid change interval before you got it.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Bificus99
Lack of fluid change interval before you got it.
cool so therefore U believe it’s something they need to remedy versus me putting out a stack to fix? It’s always something but I really appreciate ur feedback
Old 12-12-2018, 07:18 PM

I have something but a bit worse.

2011. 159k miles, new tires and alignment then all of a sudden I have torque steer.

Any acceleration the car pulls to the right. Get off the gas, and it straighten up. I can feel like a body turn almost. It gets scarier when on a ramp that curves to the right.

What are are your thoughts???
Old 12-18-2018, 05:16 AM

Tou have bad A Arm bushings! Happened to my daughter's max and sure enough her bushing was totally deteriorated on the passenger side.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by fattamax
Tou have bad A Arm bushings! Happened to my daughter's max and sure enough her bushing was totally deteriorated on the passenger side.
bingo!!!!!!

replacing passenger side LCA - shop Dx it with bad bushings. A DIY. Thanks for the input.

Plus the engine mount in front of the radiator and dog bone mount on the passenger side also shot. These now fixed.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by bjp4life@icloud.com

cool so therefore U believe it’s something they need to remedy versus me putting out a stack to fix? It’s always something but I really appreciate ur feedback
It's 10 years old, likely well over 100k miles Unless it came with a dealer warranty, like a 90 day 1000 mile if you buy from us, or other used car incentive from the dealership/lot, this is likely all on you. That said, is it possible a fluid flush will fix the problem? Sure, if they misdiagnosed your problem to begin with and went with the higher priced repair, then yeah, it's possible. Only way to know is to get a second opinion and/or try it. But I'm pretty sure a fluid swap is part of the rack replacement anyway, so if they see problems with the rack, it's likely not going to go away with a fluid swap. The part itself is over $300, plus their markup, then labor, plus the fluid change (follow up with them and make sure that's the case), it's not a awful price to be honest.

That said, lesson learned right? Older used cars may be cheap up front, but in the cost of keeping a high mileage car on the road typically marry up with the same price you would pay for a lower mileage car with some warrantee, even if you had to add the coverage after the fact. It's a gamble sure, some extended plans are expensive, but when you add up 2-3 repairs like this one, the warrantee pays for itself.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by bjp4life@icloud.com
This is really weird. I have a 2009 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV. All of a sudden, when I first start driving it will pull to the right when going down a curved road, so
much so that it feels like im gonna crash — it almost sticks but I can pull through. Nevertheless, it only happens when I first start out driving. For whatever reason, it’s as if once it warms up (like me when I get up, my joints gotta get into motion to act right lol), it’s all good n corrects itself. heading to dealer today but since it’s not running/listing/showing check engine code, they’ll likely charge a huge diagnostic fee. Anyone have this problem before?? Any advice would b great. Thanks!
well, the dealer said power steering rack needs replacement. I bought from a reputable Honda dealer certified used lot. I bought an extended warranty contract from them. of course it’s not a warrantied part but they, after some deliberate inquires on my part, agreed to fix the entire issue for the deductible $100 I have with the warranty company. They also decided to put me in a loaner, thankfully at no additional charge, but didn’t have any so paid for a comparable car at hertz. Overall I’m 100% happy with this outcome especially since it’s Honda dealer, they’ll use OEM Nissan parts and fluids, and warranty the labor and parts. It goes without saying that they’ve acquired our car sales for me and our family forever.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:51 AM

Glad they're taking care of you!