6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Steering hard/tough to turn 6th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 09:04 PM

Steering hard/tough to turn 6th Gen

My steering is really hard to turn, super hard to be exact, almost sticking 1/4 to 1/2 turn either going left or right and consistently about the same through the entire range when turning it all the way! It's been happening for a while, but today we hit 59 degrees outside and this was really the worst.

So about 2 months ago, initially when it happened, it was just a little hard, not as today's. At the time I thought this was a fluid issue, but just found the two following articles that mention the lower steering shaft, I hope this helps:

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...48k-miles.html

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/maxim...ard-again.html

Basically one of the articles mentions "Instead of replacing the lower steering shaft, all i did was put the car on jackstands and soak the exposed u-joint with a good quality lubricant such as Rust Check", then they turned it for about 10 minutes and that's it, issue resolved.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:13 PM

I was watching the news last week and heard about the Nissan recall, didn't pay much attention, but I thought I heard something about steering... finally I remembered today about it and go figure, another issue for our Maximas I'm sure.

Sorry guys, but now I'm gonna yell at all of you, I can't be the only one having this issue, read the article:

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/20...tly-in-the-us/

Basically it mentions "car maker says that under the latest recall it will replace the lower steering column joint and shaft on about 303,000 Frontier and 283,000 Xterra vehicles in the U.S., Canada, ... The affected Frontier and Xterra vehicles were built in the company’s Smyrna, Tenn., plant between July 2001 and January 2005."

Are you kidding me? Our cars were built in TN also, right? Oh well, one more issue to worry about and unfortunately this is a serious safety issue.

In a nutshell, this Maxima issue is about replacing the lower steering column joint due to a defect, same as recall just issued by Nissan.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by SuperMario
I was watching the news last week and heard about the Nissan recall, didn't pay much attention, but I thought I heard something about steering... finally I remembered today about it and go figure, another issue for our Maximas I'm sure.

Sorry guys, but now I'm gonna yell at all of you, I can't be the only one having this issue, read the article:

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/20...tly-in-the-us/

Basically it mentions "car maker says that under the latest recall it will replace the lower steering column joint and shaft on about 303,000 Frontier and 283,000 Xterra vehicles in the U.S., Canada, ... The affected Frontier and Xterra vehicles were built in the company’s Smyrna, Tenn., plant between July 2001 and January 2005."

Are you kidding me? Our cars were built in TN also, right? Oh well, one more issue to worry about and unfortunately this is a serious safety issue.

In a nutshell, this Maxima issue is about replacing the lower steering column joint due to a defect, same as recall just issued by Nissan.
This is not a common issues, not that of say the 5AT tranny.

High pressure power steering hose leak * YES common issue *

steering rack .. not a common issue.. even with that weather and I have a leaky power steering line that drizzles out fluid, I have zero issues

this may be just wear and tear on your car
Old 01-27-2012, 09:56 AM

u joint

So I put the car on jacks took me 5 min to find the u joint. Lol First I soaked it in w40 and then soaked it with liquid wrench silicone spray. Turn the car on turned the steering wheel left to right and repeat for 10 min. Droped it and drove few blocks and the problem is gone. Not sure for how long but we'll see.
The cheapest and easiest fix I think I've ever done.
F*** dealerships. .. unless u got money..
Old 02-10-2012, 12:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I work in a auto repair shop and we consistently see this issue on many Nissan Altimas and a few Maximas. Exactly as you guys have said, it's an issue that is caused by a bend or worn out steering coupler which is located on the lower steering shaft. The dealer by me keeps them in stock and normal cost around $175-200, maybe an hour labor or so to do the job. Unless there's a steering rack issue you should have butter soft steering afterwards
Old 02-13-2012, 07:40 AM
KC's FINEST

I just replaced the steering rack in my 04 last week. 56xxx miles and it gave out.

Nissan couldn't explain anything. WTF?