7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Nissan Maxima won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 02:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2009 Nissan Maxima won’t start

My 3.5L v6 2009 Nissan Maxima won’t start. I identified two issues.
1. The intelligent key light is displayed on the dashbord
2. The gear selector indicator not displaying on the dash board

To the best of my knowledge, the car will only start when the gear is in park position. Unfortunately for me, my gear lever is on park but there’s no display of the Park light on the dashboard display panel. When I press the brake pedal and push the push start button, engine won’t start.

I tried setting the gear directly on the engine, but it still won’t duspls on the display panel and don’t crank or start. I tried a new battery still no start no gear display.

i tried to start directly on the engine and it still won’t start.

I tried some research and was told about code P0705 which has to do with the Park reverse neutral and drive sensers.

any assistance on how to start the car and solve the issue of no gear selector display ? Plus how do I solve my intelligent key light issue.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:43 PM

The intelligent key light on the dash means vehicle can not communicate with the fob. Your fob might have dead battery.
Did you put your fob in the fob slot on the left side of the steering wheel and try to start the car?
As for the second part of the message about gear directly on engine, don't have any idea what you are taking about.
Try installing new batteries in your fob's
Old 04-20-2019, 11:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Richard66
The intelligent key light on the dash means vehicle can not communicate with the fob. Your fob might have dead battery.
Did you put your fob in the fob slot on the left side of the steering wheel and try to start the car?
As for the second part of the message about gear directly on engine, don't have any idea what you are taking about.
Try installing new batteries in your fob's
i changed the battery in my Fob still the intelligent light remains on. I placed the key in the slot still remains on. The intelligent key works as I’m able to lock, unlock the car and open the trunk but the light remains on.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:28 AM

Are you able to push starter button one time to get into ACC Mode? Twice for run Mode?
Another thing it might be the steering wheel lock that failed and is preventing your car from starting. Has the steering wheel lock ever been replaced. This is an open recall from Nissan to get it changed out free of charge,
Old 04-21-2019, 08:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Are you able to push starter button one time to get into ACC Mode? Twice for run Mode?
Another thing it might be the steering wheel lock that failed and is preventing your car from starting. Has the steering wheel lock ever been replaced. This is an open recall from Nissan to get it changed out free of charge,
i am able to push the starter button into acc mode and twice for on or run mode

my steering lock has not been replaced.

What is causing the dash not to display the park reverse neutral and drive mode?

until the dash displays the selected gear it wont start. So what’s causing that failure?
Old 04-21-2019, 09:22 AM

Do you have the ability to pull any codes? A no start malfunction should generate one. The one odd thing is that the intelligence key is displayed on the dash which indicates car has no comms with the fob, even though the fob still works the doors and trunk. There could also be an electrical disconnect between the shifter, the ecm and the transmission. What was the last thing you did to the car prior to the no start problem?
Old 04-21-2019, 10:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Do you have the ability to pull any codes? A no start malfunction should generate one. The one odd thing is that the intelligence key is displayed on the dash which indicates car has no comms with the fob, even though the fob still works the doors and trunk. There could also be an electrical disconnect between the shifter, the ecm and the transmission. What was the last thing you did to the car prior to the no start problem?
yes there’s an electrical failure between the shifter, the ecm and transmission and I believe so because I should see the selected gear when I change gears directly on the transmission. I called a guy with a computer and he told me of error code P0705 which seems to confirm the case also. But what do I do? According to the guy it’s there’s a sensor for park reverse neutral and drive gears which tells the car the exact gear I’ve selected but that sensor is not functioning.

It seems true but I don’t know. Also exactly where Do I find the sensor and what does it look like because I can’t find that sensor

the last thing I did before this conditions werre
1. Change of engine and transmission seats
2. Changed transmission gear selector cable
3. Installed new lights bulbs
4. Back camera

i drove the vehicle out on Friday night and I noticed on my way home that the gear display had gone off and the car drove slowly.

secondly on Saturday morning I drove out so my dad could move his car since I had blocked him. Then this condition happened during the day when I wanted to
move my car out to town.

Last edited by Mr___Collins; 04-21-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:16 PM

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/08/...safety-switch/

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0705

A couple of links that might help out.
Also do your reverse lights come on when you shift into reverse.
Also this car will start in neutral.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:19 PM

OP, you may find the factory service manual useful. Section TM addresses P0705

://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Maxima/2009/
Old 04-21-2019, 09:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/08/...safety-switch/

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0705

A couple of links that might help out.
Also do your reverse lights come on when you shift into reverse.
Also this car will start in neutral.
reverse lights do not come on when I shift to reverse. This is because no gears displays on the dash. So the vehicle doesn’t even know which gear is park neutral reverse or drive.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Nopike
OP, you may find the factory service manual useful. Section TM addresses P0705

://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Maxima/2009/
I will check it out
Old 04-21-2019, 10:10 PM

On your post #7 where you listed last things done to car before the problem, items 1, 2, and 4, you might want to look over the installations, as could be part of the problem.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:18 AM

I am not sure I know what a seat is referring to a cvt or engine (the only seat on an engine I am familiar with is a valve seat...Anyone, please educate me . ) but I am thinking the cable wasn't adjusted correctly.
  1. Loosen the control cable nut and place the manual lever in "P" position.
  2. Place the selector lever in "P" position.
  3. Push the control cable in with a load of 9.8 N (approximately 1 kg, 2.2 lb) . Release the cable and temporarily tighten the control cable nut.
NOTE:
Do not move the manual lever. Make sure the manual lever stays in the "P" position.

Tighten the control cable nut.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Mr___Collins
My 3.5L v6 2009 Nissan Maxima won’t start. I identified two issues.
1. The intelligent key light is displayed on the dashbord
2. The gear selector indicator not displaying on the dash board

To the best of my knowledge, the car will only start when the gear is in park position. Unfortunately for me, my gear lever is on park but there’s no display of the Park light on the dashboard display panel. When I press the brake pedal and push the push start button, engine won’t start.

I tried setting the gear directly on the engine, but it still won’t duspls on the display panel and don’t crank or start. I tried a new battery still no start no gear display.

i tried to start directly on the engine and it still won’t start.

I tried some research and was told about code P0705 which has to do with the Park reverse neutral and drive sensers.

any assistance on how to start the car and solve the issue of no gear selector display ? Plus how do I solve my intelligent key light issue.
Hi, I had a similar issue a few months ago with my 2013 Maxima. Took it on a recovery vehicle to workshop. The issue was related to Steering Lock malfunction and I was asked to replace the steering lock. The workshop guy bye-passed it for me (literally within 15 minutes of arriving at the workshop the car started after the bye-pass) and I drove it for over a month without issues. Just recently I replaced the steering lock and got both smart keys re-programmed.
Old 11-08-2022, 09:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Code p0705 on my 2011 Nissan Maxima

Originally Posted by Mr___Collins
I will check it out
Hello...I also have the same issue as well. The car wouldn't start without no gear selection dispay on dash and the intelligence key is showing on the display as well. Code is the same as yours. Please how did you fix this issue? I am getting frustrated.

Last edited by Phingazs; 11-08-2022 at 09:04 AM.