7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning the throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 09:48 AM

Cleaning the throttle body

Hello,
Feeling some weak throttle response sometimes, plus some dips in idle when on D and stopping fast. New air filter and cleaned MAF a while ago.
I was tempted to open the TB completely out of the car and have a good cleaning for it with a TB cleaner.
what do you think? I'll need a new gasket for the TB
Old 02-09-2020, 11:24 AM

I dont know if it will help your idle conditions, but i cleaned mine with throttle boddy cleaner and a lint free towel every time I changed plugs. Dont forget to remove battery connection first. No scraping. Gentle wipe only on the outaide surfaces. Usually, if you have poerr removed long enough (or at least for me) I didnt have to do the throttle or idle relearn procedure.

Good idea re the gasket.

Last edited by LtLeary; 02-09-2020 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by LtLeary
I dont know if it will help your idle conditions, but i cleaned mine with throttle boddy cleaner and a lint free towel every time I changed plugs. Dont forget to remove battery connection first. No scraping. Gentle wipe only on the outaide surfaces. Usually, if you have poerr removed long enough (or at least for me) I didnt have to do the throttle or idle relearn procedure.
Good idea re the gasket.
My rationale was that back of plate is much more dirtier than the exposes front of the plate (plus the ability to liberally clean with TB cleaner) , but I agree that this is a SAFER approach.

Let's see how MaximusN8 tackled his TB removal and replacement.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by LtLeary

Good idea re the gasket.
Eggsellent....that's precisely what I do. Now we have a quorum.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by mahanddeem
My rationale was that back of plate is much more dirtier than the exposes front of the plate (plus the ability to liberally clean with TB cleaner) , but I agree that this is a SAFER approach.

You can get the "back of the plate" pretty damn spotless without the need to separate it and replace a tb gasket.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Captive8
You can get the "back of the plate" pretty damn spotless without the need to separate it and replace a tb gasket.
without any pressure on the plate? And no gunk getting into the intake manifold?
Old 02-09-2020, 09:50 PM

without any pressure on the plate? And no gunk getting into the intake manifold?
Have you never done this procedure on any vehicle before? It's really fairly straightforward.
Buy a can of carb cleaner and some lint-free towels. I like the ones Griot's Garage sells for glass since they're polypropylene instead of paper. Spray the cleaner onto the towel and hold the throttle plate open. I ended up doing this when it was apart for a spark plug change, like someone else mentioned. But if I were to do it on-the-car, I'd use a mirror to verify I got all the crud cleaned off.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:46 AM

Just to note on Captive8's process. Doing it ON CAR instead of off is doable BUT don't forget to remove power FIRST! And don't get standard Carb Cleaner. It can play havoc with some of the sensors and perhaps the gasket if you get it "ingested." That is why my preferred process is off car. Also note the orientation of the screen (on the gasket) when reinstalling.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:11 AM

I'm still due to replace my TB, Since I reset the Check Engine code I haven't had any issues. Pretty much just waiting to see if it'll happen again and go from there. I been driving 60 miles a day round trip for work for the past week or so with no issues at the moment, User1 told me it will come back so I'm just delaying on the inevitable pretty much! I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by MaximusN8; 02-10-2020 at 11:37 AM.