7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumper angle alignment with tail light

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 08:41 AM

Bumper angle alignment with tail light

Some might remember I had a stupid lady rear ended me in a drive through. Fixed few days after at a local body shop. The moment I received the car (2 months ago) I noticed the small edge sticking out (see pic below) but had to forget about it due to the COVID prime time. My 09 was in a pristine condition thanks to the previous owner and now I can't help but noticing this and feel it may have sticked out more. Yesterday Went to that body shop and they falsely claimed nothing attaches that area to the body and they can't do anything about it (in summary get lost).
Am I paranoid about it or I have a point in noticing this?

Last edited by mahanddeem; 07-10-2020 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:13 AM

Aftermarket light? Could be the clip that hold the upper "pointy" portion of the light to the body is a little loose and therefore not holding it in as firmly...those things are really fragile.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by tbm5690
Aftermarket light? Could be the clip that hold the upper "pointy" portion of the light to the body is a little loose and therefore not holding it in as firmly...those things are really fragile.
It should be OEM, stated on the paperwork
Old 07-10-2020, 07:35 PM

Yeah, it's ****ed up. I'd be pissed. I wouldn't have driven it away from the shop like that. Since you did, it's on you now. You can't leave for two months, come back and say look, it's ****ed up.

Pop the trunk, pull the housing and figure it out.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:37 PM

I checked my 09 SV and the same side as yours sticks out flush with the metal panel while the one on the other side sits all the way into the metal panel with no movement. I can move mine about 1/16th of an inch, (same side as yours) but the other side is in solid. My body shop repaired some scratches on both doors on the right side and said they resprayed the bumper with clear coat to match everything up. I'm not sure if they took off the light fixture to do the spraying though. Something I'll look at tomorrow as I can imagine a wind stream getting under that corner and make the movement worse.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by User1
Yeah, it's ****ed up. I'd be pissed. I wouldn't have driven it away from the shop like that. Since you did, it's on you now. You can't leave for two months, come back and say look, it's ****ed up.

Pop the trunk, pull the housing and figure it out.
That's the exact "tire kickers" cheap approach that makes businesses looses customers (like they lost me from now on). Any respectable shop should stand behind their work. A sloppy work is a sloppy work today and in 2 months, besides the fact my health and my family's health was my top priority at that time, didn't want to keep back and forth between home and random people. Plus I noticed it sticked out a bit more lately. Should it stayed the way I received it I wouldn't care as much as now.
Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll pull out the right tail light and examine the area, likely they mess up a bolt there or used cheap garbage clip bolts.

Last edited by mahanddeem; 07-11-2020 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Richard66
I checked my 09 SV and the same side as yours sticks out flush with the metal panel while the one on the other side sits all the way into the metal panel with no movement. I can move mine about 1/16th of an inch, (same side as yours) but the other side is in solid. My body shop repaired some scratches on both doors on the right side and said they resprayed the bumper with clear coat to match everything up. I'm not sure if they took off the light fixture to do the spraying though. Something I'll look at tomorrow as I can imagine a wind stream getting under that corner and make the movement worse.
Please keep me updated
Old 07-11-2020, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by mahanddeem
That's the exact "tire kickers" cheap approach that makes businesses looses customers (like they lost me from now on). Any respectable shop should stand behind their work. A sloppy work is a sloppy work today and in 2 months, besides the fact my health and my family's health was my top priority at that time, didn't want to keep back and forth between home and random people. Plus I noticed it sticked out a bit more lately. Should it stayed the way I received it I wouldn't care as much as now.
Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll pull out the right tail light and examine the area, likely they mess up a bolt there or used cheap garbage clip bolts.
There's nothing shady about it. Look at it from their perspective; For all they know you backed into something two months later and are back looking for a free repair by blaming it on the last guy that touched it.

You signed off on their work by not saying anything and driving it off their lot the day they released the car to you.

This is the reason I won't work on other people's stuff. It just comes back to bite you in the *** even if you know what you're doing and your work was sound. They always point the finger at the last guy that touched it, even if the problem later is unrelated to the work you did.