7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time Nissan owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 02:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

First time Nissan owner

So, bought my first Nissan the other day, a 2011 Maxima that's done about a 160k kilometers (100k miles).

The thing needs some TLC, and the following is what's required. At least, that I am aware of.

1. Needs new shocks, so I was wondering what set of aftermarket shocks would you guys recommend? Not looking for anything fancy, just a sub $100/piece would do, I'm looking for a well dampened, but comfortable ride, nothing too sporty.
2. Needs a new steering wheel pump. What would you recommend? New or used?
3. Engine has vibration on idle, but is very smooth and quite when driving, so I'm assuming the mounts need replacing? If so, would you recommend that I go aftermarket or OEM for the mounts?
4. Check engine light is on. The previous owner has no clue. He had gotten the car inspected from the local dealer, the day I bought it. Report states, engine is fine, would say above average for a car with this much mileage. The exhaust plumes are colorless, there is no weird smell coming from the exhaust, or engine bay. So, faulty sensor, perhaps?
5. Should I change the gearbox oil? since It has never been changed before. Usually, on Audi's, its a safe bet to change it every 70k or so miles

Unfortunately, my mechanic has come down with CoVID-19 and will be in the hospital for a while, so I couldn't have him look at the car, before I purchased it. Coming from a background of owning several VAG cars, namely Audi's, I just assumed that Nissan automatically equals reliability. Hope, I'm not too wrong.

Thanks in advance!.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:19 PM

Congrats and welcome to the forum.
Shocks and Struts. I used Monroes for both front struts (not quick struts) and rear shocks. Coming from Audi's this may seem odd (especially if you had A8s!)
Steering Wheel Pump. I went with both. First time new and it lasted a day and second one rebuilt and it is still going 300,000+ miles later. If you have a reliable parts center near, go there and ask what they see the most returns on.
Engine Vibration: Could be anything but I would start by taking a look at the codes on the Check Engine Light. That should have been annotated on the report you got unless they just "whipped it."
Yes, do change the CVT fluid and inline filter. Depending on your driving habits, 70K may be enough or not enough. I drive mainly highway so that would be ok on mine.

Hope your mechanic come back strong and healthy.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:39 AM

Send it back that's too much work. I can only imagine the other neglect it has.