7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag Light Blinking B1139

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 11:41 PM
shb

Airbag Light Blinking B1139

Last week my battery died, and since then my air bag light on the dash keep blinking. I tried to do the reset method found in other thread (turning off and on right after the air bag light off 4x) to no success.

I have advance auto part read the dtc code and it gave B1139 Side RH Airbag Squib Driving Circuit Open & b1015

Can any one help me and advice what should I do ? The stealership here charge $150, just to have it read uaing their computer...its crazy.

Last edited by shb; 07-31-2021 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by shb
Last week my battery died, and since then my air bag light on the dash keep blinking. I tried to do the reset method found in other thread (turning off and on right after the air bag light off 4x) to no success.

I have advance auto part read the dtc code and it gave B1139 Side RH Airbag Squib Driving Circuit Open.

Can any one help me and advice what should I do ? The stealership here charge $150, just to have it read uaing their computer...its crazy.
It's crazy that the dealership charges a customer instead of doing the work for free?
Old 12-07-2020, 01:20 PM
shb

yes, $150 is only to plug their OBD device and read the error.... not including any work to fix it.... they think I have money tree in the back yard...
Old 12-07-2020, 01:36 PM

Are you sure you did the procedure right? What did you do exactly ?
Old 12-07-2020, 01:36 PM

https://www.safetyrestore.com/blog/n...dule-dtc-code/

Do some research on this business.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:49 PM
shb

Thanks , yes I did came across that, but want to keep that as my resort before starting disassemblying my center panel and sending the module to some company I have no experience with.... anyone has any experiences with this company ?

Originally Posted by Richard66
Old 12-07-2020, 02:55 PM
shb

I used the reset procedure from thread below , but after the reset attempt, the light was flashed differently, like it is showing a code or something...
I recorded what I did to reset it and at the end you will see the light showing a pattern slow light , 7 fast flashes then slow again .

Reset method was from thread below
https://maxima.org/forums/7th-genera...ing-light.html

1) Turn IGNITION on (but don't start car)
2) After the AIR BAG warning lamp lights for 7 seconds, turn IGNITION off within 1 second.
3) Wait 4 seconds
4) Turn IGNITION on (but don't start car)
5) After the AIR BAG warning lamp lights for 7 seconds, turn IGNITION off within 1 second.
6) Wait 4 seconds
7) Turn IGNITION on (but don't start car)
8) After the AIR BAG warning lamp lights for 7 seconds, turn IGNITION off within 1 second.
9) Wait 4 seconds
10) Turn IGNITION on (but don't start car)
11) Wait 3 seconds
12) Turn IGNITION off
13) Wait 2 seconds
14) START Car (the light may be blinking slower than before)
Old 12-07-2020, 03:27 PM

Check the airbag fuse....
Old 12-07-2020, 03:30 PM
shb

Originally Posted by Les7311
Check the airbag fuse....
Did that as well, the fuse is still good...
Old 12-07-2020, 05:44 PM

“........It could mean that your battery backup is drained, that you have a worn-out airbag clock spring, or that your SRS airbag control module is faulty. ... It can also mean that something is wrong with your seat belts or impact sensors......”. quoted above from web

try the seatbelts.
turn on car, and plug in each seatbelt.
my tundra had a faulty seatbelt latch that I had to replace

try and hola back
Old 12-08-2020, 12:25 PM
shb

tried that. the seatbelts latch OK, but the light still on... I am getting desperate here
Old 12-08-2020, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Have you dived into the FSM yet? See signature for free download up to 2013. All trouble codes are in there and how to properly diagnose them.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:48 PM

Last resort, stealership!!!

get them to diagnose car, then based on results, determine if you want to DIY

unless you know someone with a high profile scanner that can tell you the intricacies of the vehicle.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:13 AM
shb

I found SR which related to air bag, bust mostly on how to replace stuffs. Can you advise which doc shows the trouble codes ?

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Have you dived into the FSM yet? See signature for free download up to 2013. All trouble codes are in there and how to properly diagnose them.
Old 12-18-2020, 12:29 PM

I may be going blind but I can't find that code in either the FSM or Alldata. Are we sure we have the right code? The SRC should have all the DTCs for the air bag system but I don't see that one.
The blinking pattern in your video indicates an issue with the Air Bag Diagnosis Sensor located under the center console. We may need to get our own DiagnoseDan going here. This is from the 2009 FSM. I don't know what model year you have.

Last edited by LtLeary; 12-18-2020 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-20-2020, 06:18 AM

The exact same thing happened to me last week. I replaced the battery and now I have the same error code flashing (1 long + 7 short). I too tried the airbag rest procedure and checked the fuse but still have the issue. I followed the reset procedure in the 2012 Maxima FSM.

Car has never been in a crash and light was not on before the battery died. I am going to try working with it more next week. Will post back if I figure out anything.
Thanks

Update: Still trying to resolve this. I was able to read the codes with my Foxwell NT630 Pro Scanner, but it would not clear it. The code that my scanner shows is B1015. I could not find this code or the exact flash pattern in my FSM.
Update 2:
I sent out my module to "Safety Restore" for a reset. Put it in and connected everything back. No more airbag code and no flashing light. I tried everything and this is the last resort to get this fixed. Pretty bad that something as simple as jumping off the car causes something so major.

Last edited by KArthur; 06-08-2021 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:35 PM
shb

Thanks. Mine is a 2012 so should be the same as 2009.... With this going on, does it mean that airbag wont deploy in an accident ? I still have the problem and have not had a chance to bring it to dealership... been dragging my feet since I am not using the car much currently and the how much the dealership charge just for diagnostic
Old 01-14-2021, 12:37 PM
shb

thanks for the update... just wondering if you have any luck yet ? is your scanner giving the same code as well ?
Old 01-14-2021, 09:08 PM

If your restraint system was working properly before the battery died than I doubt that there is anything wrong with the system. The code you are getting probably does not even matter. All the system needs is a proper reset procedure.

It's been a while but I had this problem when the battery on my 2014 went dead. The reset procedure can be somewhat complicated and it's easy to not do it properly. It took me multiple tries to get it right. I tried some of the written procedures to clear the airbag light provided in this forum without luck. If I remember correctly I eventually went to You Tube and pulled up a video of someone actually performing the reset procedure on their Nissan. I was able to see what I was doing wrong and was able to finally clear the flashing airbag light.

I realize you may have tried a number of procedures but more than likely you are not doing the reset procedure correctly.

Try this.

Last edited by Nopike; 01-14-2021 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:30 PM
shb

Thanks I did tried like the video below as well before , the light didnt go away, but the blinking pattern changed like shown in my video, looks like it entered diagnostic mode and showed a code.

Originally Posted by Nopike
If your restraint system was working properly before the battery died than I doubt that there is anything wrong with the system. The code you are getting probably does not even matter. All the system needs is a proper reset procedure.

It's been a while but I had this problem when the battery on my 2014 went dead. The reset procedure can be somewhat complicated and it's easy to not do it properly. It took me multiple tries to get it right. I tried some of the written procedures to clear the airbag light provided in this forum without luck. If I remember correctly I eventually went to You Tube and pulled up a video of someone actually performing the reset procedure on their Nissan. I was able to see what I was doing wrong and was able to finally clear the flashing airbag light.

I realize you may have tried a number of procedures but more than likely you are not doing the reset procedure correctly.

Try this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E6Mkr2Xgjc
Old 01-15-2021, 02:37 PM

All I can say is keep looking and keep trying. I'm sure the dealer would be happy to reset it for you. $$$$$$$$

Last edited by Nopike; 01-15-2021 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by shb
thanks for the update... just wondering if you have any luck yet ? is your scanner giving the same code as well ?
I sent my air bag module off to "Safety Restore" and they reset it. Even though my car had not been in a crash, this fixed my blinking air bag light. Very satisfied with the service and they turned it around pretty fast.

The code I was getting was B1015.... not B1139 as in the subject of this thread. My flash code was 1 long+ 7 short flashes.

Last edited by KArthur; 06-11-2021 at 04:32 AM.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:05 PM
shb

Originally Posted by KArthur
I sent my air bag module off to "Safety Restore" and they reset it. Even though my car had not been in a crash, this fixed my blinking air bag light. Very satisfied with the service and they turned it around pretty fast.

The code I was getting was B1015.... not B1139 as in the subject of this thread.

Thanks alot for sharing. I will give them a try. I contacted similar company (myairbag) and they claim they can't reset airbag module that has not been in an accident. I do also have b1015 code as well. May ask what is the total cost ( on top of the $50 on their website) for you and total time until you get the module bag ? this is our only car and need to plan ahead for the down time.
Old 06-09-2021, 04:22 PM

Total cost for me was $50 for the "reset" service (covers shipping too). It took a couple days for shipping to them and they shipped it back out the next day. Took a couple more days to get back to me. You should probably count on it being gone 5 business days at least.
I also asked them about resetting my module even though it had not been in a crash.. They said that they only clear crash data.. But whatever they did it worked to clear the code on my unit..

When I removed the module, I also pulled out the Airbag fuse and put the console back in, then I drove the car with the module out. Not good to drive the car without the safety features working, but it was just as safe as driving with a flashing airbag light. Either way the airbags will not deploy in an accident. With the airbag fuse removed, rather than the airbag light blinking.... mine was continuously on.

Last edited by KArthur; 06-11-2021 at 04:31 AM.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:43 AM
shb

I will definitely give them a try.

Do you happen to have any good instructional video to remove the center console to access the module that helped you did that ?

Originally Posted by KArthur
Total cost for me was $50 for the "rest" service (covers shipping too). It took a couple days for shipping to them and they shipped it back out the next day. Took a couple more days to get back to me. You should probably count on it being gone 5 business days at least.
I also asked them about resetting my module even though it had not been in a crash.. They said that they only clear crash data.. But whatever they did it worked to clear the code on my unit..

After I removed the module, I also pulled out the Airbag fuse and put the console back in.. I drove the car with the module out.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:57 PM

Not sure what model Maxima you are working with...... but, for a 2010 go here for the Service Manual and download the "SR -SRS Airbag System" and the "IP-Instrument Panel" documents. Start by going to page SR-17. This will tell you what to do to remove the module. I DID NOT disconnect all the separate modules listed in step 3.

Proceed at your own risk
1. Remove the 10amp Airbag fuse from the interior fuse panel.
2. Position the seat forward so you can access the screws on the rear of the console. You will have to get in the backseat to get to these.
3. After you get those out, move the seat back so that you can access the screws on the side of the console above the seat belt latch.
4. Set the parking brake and move the shift selector to D. Makes it easer to get out over the shifter.
5. Now disconnect the battery negative cable, then the positive cable and wait 3 minutes. Then you can proceed to remove the side panels and screws outlined in the ""IP-Instrument Panel", Pg 16.
6. After the console is out the SRS Module is right there between the seats. I first disconnected the three plugs then removed the bolts that hold it in. DO NOT USE AND IMPACT TYPE NUT DRIVER NEAR THE SRS MODULE. Use a ratchet to remove the bolts around the SRS Module.

This is really simple to do if you know the steps. I am always nervous when working around the SRS, but it is safe if you take the necessary precautions. Total time to remove the console is less than 30minutes.

Here is a YT video for a 2016. Basically the same steps as a 2010.

Hope this helps.

Kirk

Last edited by KArthur; 06-11-2021 at 04:33 AM.
Old 07-31-2021, 12:35 PM
shb

thanks so much Kirk for the guidance here. I pulled the trigger to have Safety restore reset it for me and it works ! Light is gone ! and saved me bunch of $$$ from stealership

By the way I found someone made video targeted for the 7th Gen Maxima.. There is slight different to the 8th Gen on the steps to remove the console though. is no need to remove the Rear A/C vents. Just remove shifter, the trims above the shifter, remove the 3 screws in it, 2 screws next to each of seat belt latch, 2 screw on the rear, remove connectors, then should be able to remove the whole console out.

Old 08-06-2021, 08:51 AM

Glad that it got the light off for you. MUST be something about the dead battery that causes this to happen.
Might not be the dead battery, but I did jump mine off to get it going. I think jumping it off is what does it. Nothing in the user or service manual says you can't jump it off. It actually tells you how to jump because if the dead battery.
Old 11-01-2021, 02:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So this happened to me over the weekend. Working inside my 2011 Maxima with the doors open (overhead lights on). Had to put the charger on it and afterwards I got the flashing air bag symbol. Followed the steps in your video and to my delight it cured it. Thanks