7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Supplemental Air Bag Warning Light On!!!!?

Old 03-16-2010, 08:40 PM

Exclamation Supplemental Air Bag Warning Light On!!!!?

So today after I installed my uPac iPhone interface I went to start my car and on the instrument cluster they Red Supplemental Air Bag Warning Light is on and keeps on flashing (not shutting off).

Does anyone know what could be the issue and if there is anything to do to reset it?
Old 03-16-2010, 08:50 PM

Try this:

How to reset SRS(air bag) light:
Open the driver's door. Note the rubber covered button located low on the B pillar, a button which is pressed by the door when the door is closed. This is the Driver's Door Switch (DDS).

Turn the ignition from OFF to ON. Press the DDS at least 5 times within 7 seconds after turning the ignition switch ON. Turn the ignition OFF. Close the driver's door. Start the engine.

If the airbag warning lamp is still on (or still flashing), there is a fault in the Supplemental Restraint System which must be diagnosed and repaired. This is a job for your local friendly Nissan dealer.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:10 PM

Thank you very much, I am going to have to give that a try first thing in the morning before I make my way to wonderful college, lol. Where did you find that information out?

What would cause a fault in that system for the air bag though? All I did was a plug and play install/?

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
Try this:

How to reset SRS(air bag) light:
Open the driver's door. Note the rubber covered button located low on the B pillar, a button which is pressed by the door when the door is closed. This is the Driver's Door Switch (DDS).

Turn the ignition from OFF to ON. Press the DDS at least 5 times within 7 seconds after turning the ignition switch ON. Turn the ignition OFF. Close the driver's door. Start the engine.

If the airbag warning lamp is still on (or still flashing), there is a fault in the Supplemental Restraint System which must be diagnosed and repaired. This is a job for your local friendly Nissan dealer.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by KillaKam
Thank you very much, I am going to have to give that a try first thing in the morning before I make my way to wonderful college, lol. Where did you find that information out?

What would cause a fault in that system for the air bag though? All I did was a plug and play install/?
Nicoclub.com awesome Nissan site. I think you might have caused a electrical surge when you plugged in your adapter possible setting off the sensitive airbag sensors.

The good news is if you can't locate it I'm sure the dealer will..
Old 03-17-2010, 08:01 AM

Nicoclub.com awesome Nissan site. I think you might have caused a electrical surge when you plugged in your adapter possible setting off the sensitive airbag sensors.

The good news is if you can't locate it I'm sure the dealer will..
Gave it a shot about 4 times and no luck what so ever. Called one dealer and was quoted $45 for test and reset.

Called another and was quoted $95 for what ever reason.

I'll be going with the $45 one I guess. I just hope it isn't gonna be something where Ima have to pay more to have something replaced.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by KillaKam
Gave it a shot about 4 times and no luck what so ever. Called one dealer and was quoted $45 for test and reset.

Called another and was quoted $95 for what ever reason.

I'll be going with the $45 one I guess. I just hope it isn't gonna be something where Ima have to pay more to have something replaced.
Found this worth a quick try:

Manual SRS Light Reset
For Nissan & Infinity Vehicles

This method works from 2003-Current

If your airbag light is on (or flashing)... try this. By the way, use a stopwatch to count.... the timing must be accurate in order for it to work.

1) Turn IGNITION on (but don't start car)
2) After the AIR BAG warning lamp lights for 7 seconds, turn IGNITION off within 1 second.
3) Wait 4 seconds
4) Turn IGNITION on (but don't start car)
5) After the AIR BAG warning lamp lights for 7 seconds, turn IGNITION off within 1 second.
6) Wait 4 seconds
7) Turn IGNITION on (but don't start car)
8) After the AIR BAG warning lamp lights for 7 seconds, turn IGNITION off within 1 second.
9) Wait 4 seconds
10) Turn IGNITION on (but don't start car)
11) Wait 3 seconds
12) Turn IGNITION off
13) Wait 2 seconds
14) START Car (the light may be blinking slower than before)
15) Wait 3 seconds
16) Turn IGNITION off
17) Wait 3 seconds
18) START Car
Old 03-17-2010, 09:47 AM

Also found this one:

rocedure to Reset the Air Bag System Warning Light
According to the Nissan service manual, the steps to reset the air bag system warning light are the fallow:
1. Turn ignition switch from OFF to ON.
2. Air Bag warning lamp is on for 7 seconds and turns off, the turn ignition switch OFF within 1 second after the lamp turn off.
3. After ignition switch is turned OFF, wait for more than 3 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 twice. (Perform 3 times in total.)
5. Turn Ignition switch ON.
6. The SRS lamp has been reset it.
If the warning light can not be reset, more diagnosis will be require. Please contact you Nissan dealer for more information.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:53 AM

Thanx for all of that information; I just got back from the dealership so I didn't see that you posted all of that stuff so $50.35 the light is gone, lol...

I wish I would have seen your post before I went down there
Old 06-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Smile

I just want to thank you guys for taking the time to post the procedures for resetting the airbag light, I had to try several of them and I'm actually not sure which one did the trick, but one of them worked because now the light is off.

I have owned 5 Maximas (1990, 1995, 2001, 2005 and now at 2010) and I just now have discovered this forum. What a wealth of information is contained in here!

Anyway, I'm so pleased to not have to take my car to the dealer to get it reset.

Thanks!
Jay
Old 06-10-2010, 02:10 PM

I'm glad MaxloverAZ is a member of this site. It's members like him that are always willing to help out others that make this .org so good. Not that my airbag light was going off but he is just always a big help and a good source for information.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:12 AM

What caused this? When you removed the AC control bezel you had to disconnect the airbag on/off light indicator. While it was disconnected you probably like me turned on the car or at least to acc. This caused the system to scan for issues and it found the fault disconnected indicator and therefore trigged the flashing. I have tried the help from the first post from nicoclub and it does not work. I will try the rest and update if not then I guess I need to have the dealer reset it.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by IH8SPM
What caused this? When you removed the AC control bezel you had to disconnect the airbag on/off light indicator. While it was disconnected you probably like me turned on the car or at least to acc. This caused the system to scan for issues and it found the fault disconnected indicator and therefore trigged the flashing. I have tried the help from the first post from nicoclub and it does not work. I will try the rest and update if not then I guess I need to have the dealer reset it.
I surged the electrical system by plugging in the power wire back in. I don't like to disconnect the battery when I do stuff and that was just the price that I paid. I was unable to find a way to reset so I took it to the dealer and they reset it for $54. That was cheap compared to 2 other nissan dealers that I called that wanted $92.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Love my '09

This looks like a good one to add to the FAQ sticky!
Old 07-10-2010, 01:24 PM

+1 For Sticky
Old 07-20-2010, 03:33 PM

I was just told yesterday that there are several parts that need to be ordered to repair this problem. Maybe it was more than just a small issue. I will update as I find out more.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:29 AM

This is how you reset the airbag signal as I have done it several times when my uPac caused it to come on:

1. Turn the ingtion on (don't start the car)
2. Wait for the airbag light to turn off (about 5 seconds) and turn the ignition off
3. Wait for 1 second and turn the ingtion on (don't start the car)
4. Wait for the airbag light to turn off (about 5 seconds) and turn the ignition off
5. Wait for 1 second and turn the ingtion on (don't start the car)
6. Wait for the airbag light to turn off (about 5 seconds) and turn the ignition off
7. Wait for 1 second and turn the ingtion on (don't start the car)
8. Wait for the airbag light to turn off (about 5 seconds) and turn the ignition off
9. Start the vehicle and the light should be off.

Hope this helps and I know this works...

-Rich
Old 07-24-2010, 08:57 AM

UPDATE: Never try to solve AIRBAG issues. ALWAYS have it professionally corrected to avoid a potential life altering failure. That's all I am going to say.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:15 PM

Manual SRS Light Reset

If your airbag light is on (or flashing)... try this. By the way, use a stopwatch to count.... the timing must be accurate in order for it to work.

2) After the AIR BAG warning lamp lights for 7 seconds, turn IGNITION off within 1 second.
3) Wait 4 seconds
5) After the AIR BAG warning lamp lights for 7 seconds, turn IGNITION off within 1 second.
6) Wait 4 seconds
8) After the AIR BAG warning lamp lights for 7 seconds, turn IGNITION off within 1 second.
9) Wait 4 seconds
11) Wait 3 seconds
12) Turn IGNITION off
13) Wait 2 seconds
15) Wait 3 seconds
16) Turn IGNITION off
17) Wait 3 seconds
18) START Car

THIS IS THE CORRECT ONE! WORKED PERFECT!
Old 06-21-2012, 09:40 AM

Manual SRS Light Reset

3) Wait 4 seconds
6) Wait 4 seconds
9) Wait 4 seconds
11) Wait 3 seconds
12) Turn IGNITION off
13) Wait 2 seconds
15) Wait 3 seconds
16) Turn IGNITION off
17) Wait 3 seconds
18) START Car
wonna thank this forum again for the wealth of information..... just performed this on a '01 SE to clear the warning light.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:41 PM

You can actually stop on step 12 on most nissan cars, including on my 09 maxima that had this same issue. I watched several videos on it and only went to step 12 and it worked fine
Old 02-10-2013, 01:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks Rich, this worked flawlessly for me, my airbag sensor tripped after I did the nav video bypass on my car, the guy had the car on while unplugging the harnesses.09 Maxima premium package. Took me less than 5 min to do.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ediddy
Thanks Rich, this worked flawlessly for me, my airbag sensor tripped after I did the nav video bypass on my car, the guy had the car on while unplugging the harnesses.09 Maxima premium package. Took me less than 5 min to do.
same thing just happened to me when I did the bypass...
Old 05-24-2013, 07:55 PM
GT4

Thanks very much everyone! I had the exact same problem, and the above instructions worked perfectly and I have no more flashing airbag warning light .

FYI, I was installing the PAC VCI-NIS2 video integration module, and I disconnected the airbag connector (the big brown colour connector at center console on the passenger side). I think that was the cause the problem.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:44 AM
LL3
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for this thread. I am going to try this on my 09 today.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you!

Manual SRS Light Reset

3) Wait 4 seconds
6) Wait 4 seconds
9) Wait 4 seconds
11) Wait 3 seconds
12) Turn IGNITION off
13) Wait 2 seconds
15) Wait 3 seconds
16) Turn IGNITION off
17) Wait 3 seconds
18) START Car
Tried this the first time out and it worked on my 2007 Maxima. Apparently when I took out the passenger seat to fix the buckle restraint I was lucky enough to have the supplemental air bag warning light come on...

I just could justify spending $150 for about 15 minutes of work. That's what my local Nissan dealer wanted to fix the buckle restraint.

Thank you for the information!
Old 05-23-2016, 04:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just tried on my 2009 nissan maxima and it worked thank you. I think i may have tripped the light somehow when i hooked up aftermarket stereo. Anyways give this a try it worked for me so prolly will work for you as well.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by richmusch
This is how you reset the airbag signal as I have done it several times when my uPac caused it to come on:

1. Turn the ingtion on (don't start the car)
2. Wait for the airbag light to turn off (about 5 seconds) and turn the ignition off
3. Wait for 1 second and turn the ingtion on (don't start the car)
4. Wait for the airbag light to turn off (about 5 seconds) and turn the ignition off
5. Wait for 1 second and turn the ingtion on (don't start the car)
6. Wait for the airbag light to turn off (about 5 seconds) and turn the ignition off
7. Wait for 1 second and turn the ingtion on (don't start the car)
8. Wait for the airbag light to turn off (about 5 seconds) and turn the ignition off
9. Start the vehicle and the light should be off.

Hope this helps and I know this works...

-Rich
***brotha' Rich coming thru like a champ! This was the only one that worked for me--2010 Max.

Many Thanks!
Old 02-03-2019, 12:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Manual SRS Light Reset

3) Wait 4 seconds
6) Wait 4 seconds
9) Wait 4 seconds
11) Wait 3 seconds
12) Turn IGNITION off
13) Wait 2 seconds
15) Wait 3 seconds
16) Turn IGNITION off
17) Wait 3 seconds
18) START Car
I can confirm, this worked for my ‘11 Max. Thanks so much!