7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

2011 maxima transmission service

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 03:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Angry 2011 maxima transmission service

I need thoughts on a situation. I took my 2011 Maxima sport in for an oil change, filter and transmission service. I received a call at the end of the second day of the dealership having the vehicle for an 8 am appointment the first day. My car won't accelerate. The service manager has no explanation except that they retrieved codes saying that there were past issues, none of which this one owner car had ever indicated to me that it had an issue with. Am I being played? What are the odds that the tranni would just quit after a service? Thoughts? I appreciate it. Small town dealership. Son of the owner is the service manager. Thanks for any and all input.
Old 06-21-2023, 04:50 PM

Assuming all was ok prior, low fluid level. But you didnt mention what "service" was done. Maybe they put in dextron, or went nuts with a non-consult 3 scan tool and tried puttimg im a "fix" for a prob you did t have. But i would start out with chevking fluid level and color of the fluid. It should be a nice pale green.

By all means,let us know how it turns out.
Old 06-21-2023, 05:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The shop stated that they changed the filter, drained, Not flushed, the fluid. Added 5 qts back and now the car will not "accelerate ". I.am presuming for now that the filter is the issue or they mixed fluid. I will talk to the owner in the morning.
Old 06-22-2023, 01:39 AM

Do you know which "filter" they replaced? The primary is external to the cvt. There is a screen "filter" inside the cvt. The external, unless it was defective and blocked, would not be a cause in my mind. But I guess you will be finding out soon!
Old 06-22-2023, 04:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cvt

Thank you for that info. I will talk to the owner today. Hoping that they did not ruin the transmission!
Old 06-24-2023, 11:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

more input on transmission issue

After chatting with the owner of the repair shop I have learned:
The vehicle would not move at all after the service work.
They were in a hurry, then they weren't, the lead mechanic was there then he wasn't. Lots of covering his basis. He is sure they did not rush. He believes it is just a bad coincidence.
He also stated that the check engine light came on when they started it the first time.
They are going to try install the OEM screen filter. They did not change the external filter.
the are going to put OEM fluid in, which will then be mixed with the other fluids that are in it allready.
Has anyone ever heard of or had a working transmission just quit. What would cause it to just not do anything after it was working just fine before the work that was done?
This not going down a good path right now...
Thanks for now!
Rex
Old 06-24-2023, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the update. Usually, catasrophic failure is greeted with bits of the belt in tbe pan. As they had to drop the pan to change the screen, it most likely not the belt. What flulid did they use if not genuine NS2? Reg. Auto trans fluid will damage the cvt. I have heard of someome using dextron and ruining their cvt but I thought that more of a urban legend than reality.

I feel bad for you, but if the do get it moving, change the external filter. It is a real filter and not the sceen rhat lives under the pan.

I cant wait for the next update!

Old 06-24-2023, 04:36 PM

How long have you had this car? If you've had this car for sometime and no issues arose prior to the CVT service I'm willing to bet the wrong fluid type was used and upon their test drive things went South. Now if you had just purchased this car and took it in for the service, it very well could have coincidentally had issues going on that were covered up by the previous owner for example Resetting the Check Engine Light which can last days before coming back on.
Old 06-25-2023, 10:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maximus-- I am the original owner. I had no issue with the transmission or other until the service manager called and said it would not move after they changed the fluid and filter, screen inside. I started it today to check the sound. It whirs as soon as I start it in park. No other noise when I moved it to drive. Just a louder whir.
I am thinking that the o ring was not seated or broke and maybe fouled the pump. It appears that they were in a hurry and may not ever had put the fluid in before starting it. Just from how the tech acted. I am going to try to be there to see the non oem filter when they drop the pan. If they will let me... will be an issue if they do not
Old 06-25-2023, 11:05 AM

RexB, seeing that your the original owner and had absolutely no issues prior to this service they performed it's certain the garage messed something up in the process. Anything from the wrong fluid type, to something installed improperly or forgetting to fill it with fluid or to the proper level. CVT's can and certainly have failed prematurely, but your situation being the only owner and no issues until they touched it, leaves me to strongly believe they messed something up. Do stand your ground with them, and let them know that the vehicle had absolutely no issues prior to the service they performed. Please keep us posted on how you make out with this, and the best of luck to you!
Old 06-26-2023, 12:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Smile problem solved

So, the service manager let me observe the removal of the pan. The issue was indeed with the after market strainer screen. The pick up tube was too long and was pressed against the pan and not allowing fluid to be pulled thru it. Hopefully the pump was not damaged. I knew of this possibility as I had run into the same issue with a GTO. No oem filter screens available so I had them clean the screen and replace the other filter. I will let you all know if they damaged the pump or not. They learned a lesson from the "old boy" car club guy!! Thank you for all of your input..
Old 06-26-2023, 12:49 PM

Rexb, Thank you for the update. Let us know how the car makes out over the next few days or so. Hopefully this was all it was to resolve this issue.
Old 07-07-2023, 05:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

ive done this job and its pretty hard to mess up - you don't even need to drop the pan as the internal screen requires no replacement or maintenance

you just replace the external filter and refill the fluid off im not sure how they could damage something there unless they didn't put enough fluid in
Old 07-07-2023, 01:41 PM

Last summer I pulled my transmission pan and there was a bit of buildup and one little shard of metal on the screen. Had to literally beg for the external filter at the dealer.