7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Damn stepper motor!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2024, 01:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Damn stepper motor!!!

Dropped pan for the second time just to make sure everything was right. I know there’s only one way the stepper motor can go but I did it just to make sure it didn’t slip off the fork it connects to and well same thing . I’m definitely no car guru or anything but I’m trying my hardest not to have to buy new trans . P1778 is the code but it doesn’t seem to be the stepper motor considering I changed it . Damnit I’m lost. Maybe it’s possible that they sent a defective one? I dunno. Damn CVT. anybody else have this problem? Also whenever I stop then start to accelerate it starts jumping and then the traction light comes on for a sec . 
Old 05-25-2024, 06:21 AM

You have a defective CVT with lots of internal issues. Replacement time.
Old 05-26-2024, 03:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Any chance the torque converter ? Here’s all symptoms of what it’s doing
  • Whenever I’m stopped on a very very small incline and let go of brake while it’s in drive it will start rolling backwards.and if I give it a little gas it wants to jerk kind of like I’m stalling in a stick shift how it jerks back and forth .
  • Sometimes while I’m in drive and accelerate after a stop it’s like it’s stuck in 1st for a little longer than it should be then rpm’s will rise and when it switches to second gear it jerks pretty hard
  • When im driving and I hit the breaks and start to slow down the rpms will rise. Kind of like im Engine breaking
  • a little rattling coming from trans while idling. That’s the only time I can hear it anyways .
  • but once I get after 2nd gear it rides and drives decent . Just got to be easy on it because if I’m going 60mph at 2000 rpm’s and I give it just a little gas the rpm’s jump up

My wife just had a baby so I’m trying to take the cheaper route if I possibly can. Thoughts on torque converter ?
Old 05-26-2024, 03:03 PM

Unfortunately your CVT is done and needs to be replaced. It's a very pricey repair. You can opt for a junkyard CVT, but with those you never know what you get. These cars are nice but the transmissions are junk. Once mine and my wife's 7th gens crap out, that'll be it for us and Nissan.

Old 05-27-2024, 12:14 AM

Agree, the Tran is gone! Mine did the same, I tried Stepper plus others as well.
my transplant happened at 250k miles, to a80k miles donor (and still running)

good news: there’s shops out there that can rebuild the internals back to new ( friend had hers done in Virginia Beach less than two months back)
cost her Little over 3k, 16 Altima.

Old 05-27-2024, 03:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the help on putting me in the right direction . I’m going to call and see what I can do about someone rebuilding mine . I could buy a used trans but I’m not sure what I’m getting . Hopefully I can find someone locally to rebuild it and don’t have to travel 16 hours all the way to Virginia Beach lol there’s got to be someone here in south Louisiana that rebuilds them
Old 05-29-2024, 08:56 PM

That sucks man, I wish it was something simple. Good luck with getting it fixed.
Old 05-30-2024, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Maxgig
That sucks man, I wish it was something simple. Good luck with getting it fixed.
These cars look awesome, but the CVT's are trial and error. Some have luck and will go on hundreds of thousands of miles. Unfortunately a lot of them don't. I have a 2010 with 198k on it and my wife has a 2012 with 166K. So far so good, but once the CVT's or any other catastrophic failure happens to either of these, I will not be purchasing another Nissan. The 8th gen Maxima's aren't much better, neither are any of Nissan's other vehicle lineup. They once built beautiful cars that lasted. That reliability has been gone for sometime now.