8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2016 Maxima official release photos

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Weight transfers to the front of the car on acceleration in a FWD car. If anything, the rear would raise up, and the increased positive camber would cause the top of the wheels to poke... not tuck.
Granted, I'm not a mechanical engineer, so feel free to correct that interpretation.
Your interpretation is wrong. The weight transfers to the back when accelerating, and to the Front when braking. Haven't you noticed? It does not matter much whether the car if FWD or RWD.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
I'll leave this here..

Very nice!
Old 02-05-2015, 01:46 AM

Weight transfers to the front of the car on acceleration in a FWD car. If anything, the rear would raise up, and the increased positive camber would cause the top of the wheels to poke... not tuck.

Granted, I'm not a mechanical engineer, so feel free to correct that interpretation.

Come on man, it's a Maxima. Expect the rims to be flush, and you will be disappointed.

What are you smoking, LOTH? They are decidedly not symmetrical. Not at all. Unless there is a right-side set of wheels, and a separate left-side set of wheels... which is extremely unlikely for Nissan.

You have a strange definition of the word symmetrical.
I did not mean geometrically symetrical. I was meaning the wheels on this latest view of the car do not have the alternating wide and narrow spokes that we saw on the Super Bowl ad. I agree with you that those Super Bowl ad wheels did not flatter the appearance of the car, and would look completely different stylewise on one side of the car than they did on the other.

But these wheels in this latest photo will look the same on either side of the car, and, although the tiny flange at the outer end of each spoke is only on one side of the spoke, the spoke flanges are paired in a manner that will make the wheels look the same no matter where they are mounted on the car.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
Your interpretation is wrong. The weight transfers to the back when accelerating, and to the Front when braking. Haven't you noticed? It does not matter much whether the car if FWD or RWD.
Hmm. Thinking about gas in the tank, and how it will slosh to the back regardless of what makes the car accelerate... yeah man, that makes sense. I guess it was me that was smoking something when I wrote that.

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
But these wheels in this latest photo will look the same on either side of the car, and, although the tiny flange at the outer end of each spoke is only on one side of the spoke, the spoke flanges are paired in a manner that will make the wheels look the same no matter where they are mounted on the car.
I know you want to rationalize this, but by your own explanation, they will certainly not look the same.

Meh. The wheels are ugly, LOTH.

My Vossens have directional spokes, with a different pair of rims left side and right side. That's the only reason I'm sensitive to this design consideration. Admittedly, this is not something that people tend to notice. However, when you do see the problem, you can't un-see it.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jprocs24
Very nice!
Now these wheels look much better than all the other ones I've seen.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:50 PM

Wow this site is buzzing since the teaser of the Super Bowl Ad, I am a bit on the fence about the car when I saw it. But it is growing on me, but I have to see the car in person, it might win me over, hopefully. I have been reading in several post that it going to be a 3.6 engine, I am not aware that Nissan makes a 3.6 unless it's a Mercedes-Benz Powerplant engine. who knows, only time will tell when the car arrives in the show room. If it is as it promise the 4 DSC, I am definitely gonna trade in my 08 Accord in for it, since I am somewhat liking the design but again, only time will tell when I see it in person.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by 95VQ30
The look is definitely growing on me but the drivetrain..

so much hate on their Facebook comments

Yup. CVT can KMA
Old 02-06-2015, 05:41 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Boy I really hate that Mazda-esque flowing design crease that goes under the front windows and up onto the fenders to the headlights. Really hate it.

That single design element is why I really dislike the recent Mazda designs.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:04 PM

Woah hello there beautiful car.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:38 PM

New front end look= best thing about the 2016 design
Old 02-08-2015, 07:49 PM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by JRod28
New front end look= best thing about the 2016 design
Not me, I think the front looks hideous. Remove the hamburger emblem and it looks like one entire vehicle stacked on top of another.
Rear angle better but still too tall. 4DSC really?
Old 02-10-2015, 02:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by James92SE
Boy I really hate that Mazda-esque flowing design crease that goes under the front windows and up onto the fenders to the headlights. Really hate it.

That single design element is why I really dislike the recent Mazda designs.
I was thinking this exact same thing and couldn't agree more. The resemblance is pretty interesting.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:27 PM

^^^
Good side-by-side comparison (so to speak).

Actually, the Mazda is more appealing, IMO. The lines are so much more clean and purposeful, whereas the Nissan just amps up the stylistic elements unnecessarily. That black A-pillar, and the fake-floating trim over the rear fender, and the layered front end... it's just too over the top.

If the Mazda had the Maxima's VQ engine, that would be a win.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:59 PM

The headlights bring this image to mind..

Name:  ChryslerBuilding49.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  63.0 KB
Old 02-10-2015, 06:22 PM

^^^
Good side-by-side comparison (so to speak).

Actually, the Mazda is more appealing, IMO. The lines are so much more clean and purposeful, whereas the Nissan just amps up the stylistic elements unnecessarily. That black A-pillar, and the fake-floating trim over the rear fender, and the layered front end... it's just too over the top.

If the Mazda had the Maxima's VQ engine, that would be a win.
I agree, they copied the 6 up front especially the fenders and Kia Optima rear doors back. Does not work as a mesh of the two here, heck the Altima wears that Mazda 6 or better yet 73-78 Monte Carlo front fender crease better than this car does.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:43 PM

Looks like a Tesla. Not so big on it. I will drive my 05' and buy a Ford Pick up.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:50 AM

Mazda 6 looks much more like the Q50 than the new Maxima.

This new Maxima design keeps growing on me and I think it will be brutal in person (in a good way).

But that GD VCT...
Old 02-11-2015, 05:26 AM

That front end...

Old 02-11-2015, 05:52 AM

Personally I think it looks horrible, if I wanted a Kia Optima I would of bought one. There are WAY too many body lines going and it just looks plain ugly, I will take my '14 over that any day.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Snapper1978
Personally I think it looks horrible, if I wanted a Kia Optima I would of bought one. There are WAY too many body lines going and it just looks plain ugly, I will take my '14 over that any day.
I wouldn't go as far as saying it's horrible personally lol but I see where you're coming from. At any rate, it's arrived and will be a conversation topic for quite a while until first glimpses of it seen on road. I'm frankly excited regardless of the fact lol
Old 02-11-2015, 08:05 AM

It is just my opinion, but looks VERY similar to the kia and nowhere like a maxima. I loved how maxima's mostly look a bit like the former design, I always loved that and this looks nothing like it. It has too many body lines for me and looks like they rushed it out,imo.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Snapper1978
It is just my opinion, but looks VERY similar to the kia and nowhere like a maxima. I loved how maxima's mostly look a bit like the former design, I always loved that and this looks nothing like it. It has too many body lines for me and looks like they rushed it out,imo.
For perspective, they did the exact same thing with the new Q50 last year, which looks more like everything else, and less like something unique to Infiniti. And with the same aging power-train, but no 6MT any longer. IDK what market Nissan is going after these days, but it's increasingly feeling like I'm not a part of it anymore.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-11-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:58 AM

I kinda agree, I love the sedan looking car, I think it is classy and nice but nowadays a lot of these cars look like 5 different models just lumped together. It may grow on me but just too many body lines
Old 02-11-2015, 04:15 PM

Could the Maxima and Mazda have been designed by the same person?

Last edited by CS_AR; 02-12-2015 at 01:42 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:42 PM

Nissan Nissan Nissan might as well have a going out of business sale should be called the Nissan Goatima Name:  114_zpsaf847666.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  36.0 KB

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 02-11-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Alexander
Nissan Nissan Nissan might as well have a going out of business sale should be called the Nissan Goatima

Chris - I do appreciate your talent at being able to notice and present the resemblance of a nanny to the 8th gen. Good quality work. I must admit I laughed heartily.

But we may need to maybe somewhat hold the horses here. I don't think such drastic action as a 'going out of business' sale is warranted. After all, Nissan just reported an $856 MILLION profit for the last quarter of 2014. Wall Street analysts had expected only a $697 million profit. Sales for the 4th quarter of 2014 were up 17% over the corresponding quarter a year ago.

Even more meaningful, Nissan expects to report a $3,5 BILLION profit for the fiscal year ending at the end of next month (March). Nissan will certainly have the money to throw an incredible 'going out of business' party.

Nissan is obviously hitting the target with a lot of customers. I think much of the disappointment here with the 8th gen is because we still have a lot of folks who liked the Maximas of the 1980s and 1990s. Those days are gone, and the Maxima is aimed at a different target audience these days.

I personally love the aggressive and threatning look of the front of the 8th gen, like the side sculpting, am intrigued by the floating roof concept, and have no problem with the rear view. It will not please everybody, but it will please around the 70,000 customers Nissan expect to buy the 8th gen. I feel the distaste of many folks will mellow when they see the 8th gen in person.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 02-12-2015 at 01:55 AM.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:37 AM

I personally love the aggressive and threatening look of the front of the 8th gen, like the side sculpting, am intrigued by the floating roof concept, and have no problem with the rear view.
I wonder if the idea is when you see it approaching in your rear view mirror you move over to get out of the way?

Hey Chris - How do you like owning a car where the owner's club looks like an episode from the original "Maytag Repairman" TV commercial series? There ain't much going on or going wrong over there.. Note that I can sympathize with your boredom. I have a Q45.

Last edited by CS_AR; 02-12-2015 at 05:28 AM.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:42 AM

am intrigued by the floating roof concept
Except that it's not a floating roof design, like the BMW i8. It's just a piece of black plastic. It's trim, nothing more. So while you're intrigued, I'm actually a little insulted.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:59 AM

Nissan Nissan Nissan might as well have a going out of business sale should be called the Nissan Goatima
The SSC was brutally gorgeous.

I think people will be pleasantly surprised when they see the new Maxima in person and all the lines will make more sense. Especially once it gets some aftermarket wheels and a modest drop
Old 02-12-2015, 05:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nissan is obviously hitting the target with a lot of customers. I think much of the disappointment here with the 8th gen is because we still have a lot of folks who liked the Maximas of the 1980s and 1990s. Those days are gone, and the Maxima is aimed at a different target audience these days.
I'd agree with this to an extent. And the enthusiast segment of the market I'm willing to bet is pretty small to begin with. Again, I think the look is a good start, just waiting to see what's under the hood, the interior, tech, etc.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:04 AM

I love the new design. Each generation of any car will lose some customers, but new ones will be gained, it is normal. I for one never really considered the last generation Maxima and instead got an Altima, however, this new Maxima will draw me into buying my first Maxima.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by CS_AR
I wonder if the idea is when you see it approaching in your rear view mirror you move over to get out of the way?

Hey Chris - How do you like owning a car where the owner's club looks like an episode from the original "Maytag Repairman" TV commercial series? There ain't much going on or going wrong over there.. Note that I can sympathize with your boredom. I have a Q45.

I can't wait til someone posts their first pic of this either on the road or on a lot.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:24 AM

The problem guys is they are already gearing the Altima up for a 2016 refresh so the Maxima hits the streets and then the Altima gets better.

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 02-12-2015 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The problem guys is they are already gearing the Altima up for a 2016 refresh so the Maxima hits the streets and then the Altima gets better.
So would that mean the refresh '16 altima's will somewhat be better than the Max's?
Old 02-12-2015, 08:36 AM

mr2cool80 yup that's been the problem since 2002 you want this latest generation to be back in its place as the Maxima was in the 90s before the Altima grew in terms of size,sales and recognition with the 3rd gen 2002-2006. We won't know for sure until next year when the 8th gen 2016 hits the streets but from the way things are going it looks like the Altima is a potential threat again. Nissan is planning to bump it up for 16

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 02-12-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:00 PM

Article:

http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/...san-maxima.htm
Old 02-13-2015, 01:08 AM

When an article suggests a new Maxima generation will probably have engine options between a 4 cylinder and a 6 cylinder, I raise an eyebrow. When that same article presumes the new generation Maxima will have around 260 HP, my eyes begin to roll. At least the article is correct in that the 8th gen Maxima is based fairly clearly on the Nissan Concept Sedan, and will be introduced April 1st at the New York International Auto Show.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
I'd agree with this to an extent. And the enthusiast segment of the market I'm willing to bet is pretty small to begin with. Again, I think the look is a good start, just waiting to see what's under the hood, the interior, tech, etc.
You are correct that, love or hate the looks, there are many minds that will not be made up until the power plant, specs, options, etc are revealed.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:09 AM

When an article suggests a new Maxima generation will probably have engine options between a 4 cylinder and a 6 cylinder, I raise an eyebrow. When that same article presumes the new generation Maxima will have around 260 HP, my eyes begin to roll. At least the article is correct in that the 8th gen Maxima is based fairly clearly on the Nissan Concept Sedan, and will be introduced April 1st at the New York International Auto Show.
It looks like the articles are starting to copy speculation from other articles. I'm sure more like it will appear during the run up to April.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It looks like the articles are starting to copy speculation from other articles. I'm sure more like it will appear during the run up to April.
It's like playing the old telephone game...

Quick Reply: 2016 Maxima official release photos