8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

5 trims, no options

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 06:29 AM

5 trims, no options

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...ims-no-options

Too many variations make it complicated for customers, salespeople, dealers who have to order and Nissan, which has to know what’s available for dealers, Diaz says. “I think it’s going to prove to be a game-changing direction for us.”

It's a cost containment strategy. Trying to improve the bottom line. I don't fault them for that. They streamline the manufacturing and distribution processes and still give dealers opportunities to make margins on minor add-ons.

The concept (or inference) that it's better for the consumer though is ludicrous.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:17 AM

^^ I think that is a good cost saving idea. A few years ago I spent a day visiting Honda's V6 car manufacturing plant in Lincoln AL and learned (at the time) they setup the production line to produce 32 like models cars in a given color. Sometimes when a highly popular color model combination are required they will produce 64.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:49 AM

I like this strategy, option game can be really tricky and can quickly add up substantial amount of money to the base price.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:17 PM

It's funny when you see an ad for a car and they mention all the features that come standard. You're still paying for what you want, optioned or not.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:45 PM

It's a cost saving strategy plain and simple.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by george__
It's a cost saving strategy plain and simple.
Yep. And this is one of the strategies that enable Nissan to sell us a car far better equipped than the first model year of the 7th gen seven years ago for somewhere not far from the same price.

Moves such as this are also designed to limit the endless possible combinations with all the modern technology and mechanology now available. This limitation is necessary because most dealerships have limited lot space, and Nissan seems to add a new vehicle every year or two. Having endless variations of each vehicle means the dealer will not have room for even one example of many of the possible combinations, much less a color choice. I think this may be the wave of the future for vehicles where price point is important.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:07 PM

it's interesting they did it like this for the 2016 model. i like it and don't like it if that makes any sense.

for example, i would love to have the around view monitor on the SR or SL :P
Old 05-27-2015, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by MaxMus
it's interesting they did it like this for the 2016 model. i like it and don't like it if that makes any sense.

for example, i would love to have the around view monitor on the SR or SL :P
I understand what your saying. I am getting the SR and the only thing that I wish I could add would be the around view monitor, but with all the other monitors that come on the car, I am ok giving that up to get the sport suspension.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:33 PM

There are dfinitely compromises and tough choices to make with this 5 model setup. I think one thing that may change around the 'half-gen' time would be to enable ordering an SR with a simple moonroof. Yes, a moonroof goes against what the SR image stands for, but the public has a way of wanting what they want, image notwithstanding.

I personally like this setup because it limits variations to the point there should be more colors of each of the 5 models sitting on dealer lots at any given time.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:58 PM

does anyone know invoice on the platinum and SR models? i'm torn. i like the sportiness of the SR but would miss a sunroof. the platinum is way over the top for what i need, but it's the only model that has what i can't live without (LED lights) and climate seats. the SL has regular halogen lights so i'm not going backwards from my HID lights.

i get what they are doing, but color really isn't a big deal to me these days. i'd rather have my car optioned out to what i need.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:10 PM

does anyone know invoice on the platinum and SR models? i'm torn. i like the sportiness of the SR but would miss a sunroof. the platinum is way over the top for what i need, but it's the only model that has what i can't live without (LED lights) and climate seats. the SL has regular halogen lights so i'm not going backwards from my HID lights.

i get what they are doing, but color really isn't a big deal to me these days. i'd rather have my car optioned out to what i need.
Invoice on Platinum is $37,205. That does not include 'holdback', which gives the dealer another bit of money. I have misplaced the invoice for the SR, but will post it when I find it in this pile of 8th gen material I have accumulated.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Invoice on Platinum is $37,205. That does not include 'holdback', which gives the dealer another bit of money. I have misplaced the invoice for the SR, but will post it when I find it in this pile of 8th gen material I have accumulated.
You know I will be waiting on the SR invoice price, as that is the trim I am getting!
Old 05-29-2015, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by NissanFreak2000
You know I will be waiting on the SR invoice price, as that is the trim I am getting!
NissanFreak - the SR Invoice is $35,164. I just posted a thread with all MSRPs and Invoives on this 8th gen board.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:38 AM

the platinum is way over the top for what i need, but it's the only model that has what i can't live without (LED lights) and climate seats. the SL has regular halogen lights so i'm not going backwards from my HID lights.

I thought the SR also had the LED lights and the climate controlled front seats? I hope Im not wrong on that because I plan on getting the SR. Heres the SR features from the Nissan website:

<li class="ng-binding ng-scope" ng-class="featureItem.version_title ? 'title' : ''" ng-repeat="featureItem in trim.detailedFeatureItems">Sport-tuned Suspension<li class="ng-binding ng-scope" ng-class="featureItem.version_title ? 'title' : ''" ng-repeat="featureItem in trim.detailedFeatureItems">Integrated Dynamics-control Module (Active Ride Control, Active Trace Control, Active Engine Brake)*<li class="ng-binding ng-scope" ng-class="featureItem.version_title ? 'title' : ''" ng-repeat="featureItem in trim.detailedFeatureItems">19” “Diamond-cut” machined aluminum-alloy wheels<li class="ng-binding ng-scope" ng-class="featureItem.version_title ? 'title' : ''" ng-repeat="featureItem in trim.detailedFeatureItems">Premium Ascot Leather-appointed seats with Diamond-quilted Alcantara® inserts*<li class="ng-binding ng-scope" ng-class="featureItem.version_title ? 'title' : ''" ng-repeat="featureItem in trim.detailedFeatureItems">Climate-controlled front seats<li class="ng-binding ng-scope" ng-class="featureItem.version_title ? 'title' : ''" ng-repeat="featureItem in trim.detailedFeatureItems">Paddle shifters<li class="ng-binding ng-scope" ng-class="featureItem.version_title ? 'title' : ''" ng-repeat="featureItem in trim.detailedFeatureItems">P245/40R19 W-rated all-season tires<li class="ng-binding ng-scope" ng-class="featureItem.version_title ? 'title' : ''" ng-repeat="featureItem in trim.detailedFeatureItems">Front chassis damper<li class="ng-binding ng-scope" ng-class="featureItem.version_title ? 'title' : ''" ng-repeat="featureItem in trim.detailedFeatureItems">Premium Ascot leather-wrapped steering wheel with Alcantara™ insert*<li class="ng-binding ng-scope" ng-class="featureItem.version_title ? 'title' : ''" ng-repeat="featureItem in trim.detailedFeatureItems">“Liquid Chrome” faceted finishers<li class="ng-binding ng-scope" ng-class="featureItem.version_title ? 'title' : ''" ng-repeat="featureItem in trim.detailedFeatureItems">Aluminum sports pedals<li class="ng-binding ng-scope" ng-class="featureItem.version_title ? 'title' : ''" ng-repeat="featureItem in trim.detailedFeatureItems">LED low beam headlights<li class="ng-binding ng-scope" ng-class="featureItem.version_title ? 'title' : ''" ng-repeat="featureItem in trim.detailedFeatureItems">No moonroof

Please correct me if Im wrong
Old 05-29-2015, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by djenkins
I thought the SR also had the LED lights and the climate controlled front seats? I hope Im not wrong on that because I plan on getting the SR.Please correct me if Im wrong
The SR does have the climate controlled seats and LED lights! I made sure as I am getting the SR and I wanted both. From what I can tell, the main things you give up with the SR are the sunroof and around view camera, however, that is worth me giving up to get the sport suspension.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:25 AM

Here are the things that Platinum has that SR does not:
  • Outside mirrors with reverse tilt-down feature
  • Auto-dimming driver-side outside mirror
  • Dual Panel Panoramic Moonroof with one-touch open/close
  • NissanConnectSM Services Powered by SiriusXM®
  • AroundView® Monitor
  • Power-tilt/telescoping steering column
  • Vehicle speed and rain-sensing variable intermittent windshield wipers
  • Rear-window power sunshade
  • Memory System – driver’s seat, steering wheel and outside mirrors
  • Driver Attention Alert
  • Moving Object Detection (MOD)
Old 05-29-2015, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by coasterswim
  • AroundView® Monitor
  • Driver Attention Alert

The SL has NissanConnect, so wouldn't the SR also have that?
Old 05-29-2015, 07:36 AM

The SL has NissanConnect, so wouldn't the SR also have that?
The SL has NissanConnectSM Navigation with 8.0" multi-touch control screen and Voice Recognition for audio and navigation, but not NissanConnectSM Services Powered by SiriusXM®
Old 05-29-2015, 07:40 AM

Oh I see. What are the differences? Is that all the stuff so that you can track where your car is, and how fast your kids are driving it and such?
Old 05-29-2015, 08:00 AM

This article goes into depth on what NissanConnect Services are:
http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/u...-nissan-maxima

• New connected services program integrates secure, innovative ownership experience with Nissan owners’ connected lifestyles
  • Launches with all-new Nissan Maxima; four additional Nissan vehicles to offer NissanConnect℠ Services program later this calendar year
  • Key features include Emergency Preparedness, Remote Access, Customizable Alerts and Convenience Services
  • Three available levels of connectivity available, including six months’ no-cost trial subscription of the entire suite of Premium Plus features
  • Developed in coordination with Nissan Research Center Silicon Valley
  • SiriusXM becomes Nissan’s exclusive launch partner for this new service
NissanConnect Services powered by SiriusXM®, the all-new connected services program featuring vehicle security, monitoring and remote services, leads the list of new available connected technologies offered with the all-new 2016 Nissan Maxima. Every 2016 Maxima also includes standard NissanConnect infotainment features, providing access to Online Search with Google®, SiriusXM Traffic™ and SiriusXM Travel Link™ (fuel prices, weather, movie listings, stock info, sports) (SiriusXM subscription required, sold separately after initial trial period).
With its extensive package of available content, NissanConnect Services is one of the most feature-rich connected service programs available in the industry, with a robust suite of security features.
Three levels of services are available on the new Maxima Platinum model in the United States:
  • NissanConnect Services: The base package includes emergency services, including Automatic Collision Notification and Stolen Vehicle Locator, as well as maintenance alerts such as In-Vehicle Messaging and Dealer Service Scheduling Reminders (late availability).
  • NissanConnect Services Premium: The mid-tier package includes everything from the base package plus remote control services including Remote Start* and Remote Door Lock/Unlock, as well as monitoring alerts like Valet Alert and Curfew Alert.
  • NissanConnect Services Premium Plus: The full package adds to the suite of convenience services, including Assisted Search, Connected Search and Journey Planner.
The services are accessed through a redesigned NissanConnect system that includes updated graphics and Maxima’s standard 8.0-inch color display with multi-touch control and Nissan Voice Recognition. Every Maxima also includes a 7.0-inch Advanced Drive Assist Display, two front USB connection ports for iPod® interface and other compatible devices, Streaming audio via Bluetooth® and Hands-Free Text Messaging Assistant.
The “Connect” side of NissanConnect links users to Cloud Services in three ways – beamed in through radio and satellite, brought in through smartphone and built in with a cellular network embedded telematics control unit (TCU). That means in the case of an emergency, a touch of a button can connect you to a live person for assistance. In the case of an accident severe enough to deploy the air bags, the NissanConnect Services agents will connect with the vehicle occupants to determine the level of assistance needed and call for help. Roadside assistance can also be dispatched to your location, whether for a flat tire, out of gas or other situations.
Convenience Services range from Connected and Assisted Search, destination directions downloaded right to the navigation system and even journey planning – with routing of up to five waypoints and destination.
Remote Access is another key feature, with help accessible through a compatible computer or smartphone. Services include remote door lock and unlock, remote engine start and remote horn and flashing lights to help find the Maxima in a garage or parking lot.
Finally, the system offers customizable alerts via email, text message or automated phone call. Alerts include vehicle speed, curfew (with available notification to the driver 20 minutes before the curfew alert), valet alerts (more than two miles from drop-off) and geographical boundaries. With a car as enjoyable to drive as the new Maxima, the new NissanConnect Services offers an additional level of control when family members, friends or valets might not have sufficient self-discipline.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:19 AM

I thought the SR also had the LED lights and the climate controlled front seats? I hope Im not wrong on that because I plan on getting the SR. Heres the SR features from the Nissan website:

Please correct me if Im wrong
hi djenkins, i was referring to the SL version which would fit my needs, except that it doesn't have the LED or even an option for HID lights. You are correct that the SR has the LED lights and climate controlled seats.

i'm torn between the SL, SR or the Platinum now.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
thanks light. that was the msrp on my sv back then but i paid a lot less than msrp. i guess it's going to be a game of cat and mouse with these dealers before they accept my offer of invoice or a bit above invoice.

@coast: thanks for that link. i appreciate the information.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:31 AM

I feel for you MaxMus. It was a rough decision, but Ive pretty much decided on a Gun Metal SR. For me, the deciding factors were the interior colors (I REALLY want Camel) and the 19" wheels. I had the Camel color interior on my 2005 maxima, and really fell in love with it. That 2005 also had the rear bucket seats, which I also miss.

I thought about the sun roof for awhile, but then really thought about it, and realized that since I have owned my 2009 (almost 6 years now), I probably opened the sun roof like once a year. I am beginning to get a bald spot, and I was probably blinding the people in the cars behind me with the sun roof open .

I will also miss the electronic tilt and telescoping steering, but will get over that quick.

So as for me, Ive pretty much locked in the 2016 I want, but Im still having trouble understanding which options of the Nissan Connect I wont be getting in the SR. One thing I would really like is remote start and door locks from a phone app. Is the remote start on the SR only from the key fob?

No matter, I will own a Gun Metal SR hopefully in a couple weeks
Old 05-29-2015, 09:40 AM

So as for me, Ive pretty much locked in the 2016 I want, but Im still having trouble understanding which options of the Nissan Connect I wont be getting in the SR. One thing I would really like is remote start and door locks from a phone app. Is the remote start on the SR only from the key fob?
It sounds to me like any feature that needs some sort of data connection will only be available in Platinum and will come with some subscription cost once the 6-month trial is up. Remote start and door locks from the phone app is likely Platinum-only.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:49 AM

I feel for you MaxMus. It was a rough decision, but Ive pretty much decided on a Gun Metal SR. For me, the deciding factors were the interior colors (I REALLY want Camel) and the 19" wheels. I had the Camel color interior on my 2005 maxima, and really fell in love with it. That 2005 also had the rear bucket seats, which I also miss.

I thought about the sun roof for awhile, but then really thought about it, and realized that since I have owned my 2009 (almost 6 years now), I probably opened the sun roof like once a year. I am beginning to get a bald spot, and I was probably blinding the people in the cars behind me with the sun roof open .

I will also miss the electronic tilt and telescoping steering, but will get over that quick.

No matter, I will own a Gun Metal SR hopefully in a couple weeks
oh man, do i love, love, love the camel interior. you are correct in that i rarely open the canopy on my 09 Max. i'm very light skinned so the sun just burns me. but just this past week we went to Virginia for a family reunion and i opened the hatch and it was so nice going through the backwoods and hills and valleys with the sun on my neck.

i don't know. i'm so torn right now on what version to buy.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:40 PM

• AroundView® Monitor
  • Driver Attention Alert
coaster - Thanks for posting this. I knew from the start that I would be choosing the Platinum, because I want several of the things you listed.

Outside mirrors with tiltdown feature - Helps when backing near curbs to park, but not that important for me.

Auto-dimming driver side outside mirror - I need this, as my eyes are sensitive to light, and when on an Atlanta area 16 lane freeway at night, there will always be headlights in the outside mirror.

Dual panel panoramic roof - our three granddaughters always ride in back, and they really love being able to see the tall buildings of Atlanta (or birds or planes or clouds) by looking up. I want this.

Nissan Connect SM Services - I don't understand everything going on in this area, and do not even have a smart phone (yes, I am a dinosaur), so don't know how much I would use this.

Around View Monitor - Being very old with an appropriately stiff neck, this will be a real blessing.

Power tilt-telescoping steering column - I use this all the time.

Speed and rain-sensing intermittent windshield wipers. I will probably appreciate the speed-sensing part, but am quite used to turning the wipers on myself when it begins raining, then turning them off when the rain stops.

Rear window power sunshade - One of the most important features of the Platinum for me. Parking in the middle Georgia sun in summer heat with the windows up will bake the back seat upholstery until it crumbles. This also helps the back of our granddaughters' necks on trips when the sun is shining from behind. I leave this shade closed the hot half of the year. It is designed so we can see through it via the inside rear view mirror.

Memory system - outside mirror, seats and steering column - THE most important item for me. My wife and I alternate driving frequently, and we use completely different settings for mirrors, seats and steering column. Such a wonderful option.

Driver Attention Alert - I am excited to try this. Us old folks sometimes have a tendency to drift on long trips. This may turn out to be a really useful option.

Moving Object Detection. - Colud be really nice. Down here in Georgia, we are always trying to back out from between two ridiculously large SUVs or 6,000 pound monster pickups, so can't see a thing coming from either direction. This could be very useful.

IN SUMMARY, I either want or need eight of these eleven items, am already used to five of them on my 7th gen Premium package, and might use two of the other three. Makes my choice of the Platinum very easy.

I do wish Nissan had used something like SP or SPL or SZ on the rear instead of the word 'Platinum.' Seems a little ostentatious.

Now if I were a young whippersnapper, I would lean toward the SR. And I might even cover most of the chrome with black plastic wrap.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 05-29-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:00 PM

The dealer I spoke to today had absolutely no information on the pricing of NissanConnect Services once the 6-month trial has expired.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:14 PM

The dealer I spoke to today had absolutely no information on the pricing of NissanConnect Services once the 6-month trial has expired.
Here you go....

How much does NissanConnectSM Services powered by SiriusXM® cost?
Customers can select from three package options to best suit their needs:

NissanConnectSM Services - $11.99 per month
NissanConnectSM Services Premium - $19.99 per month
NissanConnectSM Services Premium Plus - $24.99 per month

Annual and multiyear plans are also available.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:52 PM

^ Thanks. More expensive than they're worth, but not a lot more expensive than I thought they'd be.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:15 AM

What could one estimate would be the holdback amount on the 2016 (for negotiating purposes?)
Old 06-09-2015, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by jc53
What could one estimate would be the holdback amount on the 2016 (for negotiating purposes?)
Guessing ... but Nissan Holdback is typically 3%.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:56 AM

Cars Direct and True Car both have 2016 Maxima available. So you can go to their websites and build the model you like. This is a great way to see what options are really available on which models and what they require.
For example, in order to get the spoiler on an SL, you must also install splash guards and illuminated kick plates.