8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2016 Maxima Assembly Line

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 04:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

2016 Maxima Assembly Line

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/22/2...icial/#image-4

Kind of disappointed about the CVT, car looks better though.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jopa416
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/22/2...icial/#image-4

Kind of disappointed about the CVT, car looks better though.
Why would the CVT disappoint you? It is the most fuel-efficient, best-accellerating, smallest, lightest, least expensive, most futuristic tranny available. Why would you want some large, heavy, shifting, inefficient tranny from the second millenium?

Come join us in the third millenium!
Old 04-23-2015, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Why would the CVT disappoint you? It is the most fuel-efficient, best-accellerating, smallest, lightest, least expensive, most futuristic tranny available. Why would you want some large, heavy, shifting, inefficient tranny from the second millenium?

I'm already there! This CVT will worlds beyond what some downers are trying to make it. It will be advanced, faster, and an blast to drive! Bring on the retuned sport CVT! Can't wait.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:26 PM

CVT Shudder

I have read too many complaints about CVT shudder, not risking $40K to find out if it true.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:39 PM

Old 04-23-2015, 07:40 PM

Can anyone read what the emblem on the rear right side says in the second last pic. to the right? Looks like it says platinum?
Old 04-23-2015, 07:51 PM

I have read too many complaints about CVT shudder, not risking $40K to find out if it true.
It is definitely true that shudder has been an issue on some latest generation Altima's and Pathfinders. Serious problems. But, I have never experienced it on two 7th gen Maxima's. Nothing even close to shudder. My guess is that the 8th gen was delayed until they had the shudder problems completely fixed for the new flagship Maxima. It is something I will be real interested in following as when we get some real life ownership feedback on the performance of the new Maxima... I think we will know very quickly if the shudder problem exists once there are a few out on the road.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
Can anyone read what the emblem on the rear right side says in the second last pic. to the right? Looks like it says platinum?
The only things that can appear on the right rear are S, SV, SL, SR and PLATINUM. Since that photo shows a word with more than two letters, it has to be PLATINUM.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:58 AM

Well, we can look at Consumer Reports reliability ratings and find the CVT is more reliable than many of the shifting type trannies. The vibration, damping at takeoff in the early 7th gens, and slowing above 85 MPH are things Nissan has been working on. The 8th gen Maxima release was delayed until Nissan found a fix for problems in the new CVT they put in the neg gen Altima a year or two back. The CVT in the 8th gen Maxima should be really nice. A few who have tested the 8th gen mentioned nothing wrong with the CVT.

I have seen two rating services that both mentioned that Nissan probably in the leader in CVT development.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:54 AM

I can speak to the shudder problem that you are talking about as I have a 7th gen Maxima and a 2013 Pathfinder. The shudder problem was very prominent and a major pain when it happened around 17k miles. We have had a few reprograms of the CVT and I'm not sure it's gone but definitely less noticeable and now we have 33k. To be honest, I'm not sure it's even there or if I am just imagining it's there. I would imagine that Nissan has it together now and I have never had any issues with my Max. My lease is up less than a year and right now I am torn on what potential car I am going to get. The new Murano or the Maxima but I have faith that both will be very nice and the CVT won't be an issue.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:40 AM

I have a 2012 Maxima SV Premium. This is our 3rd Maxima so I am sold on these cars. I never buy the 1st model year of a new car. And I heard many people having issues with the CVT. Definitely takes some getting used to. I purposely waiting buying the Maxima because I figure they would work out the bugs.
I have a freind who has an 08 Altima and he has had his transmission replaced. I have not had any issues to this point and I am at 22,000 miles. Again, I would wait after the car has been out for a year before considering it if you plan on buying the car or keeping it for awhile. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:32 PM

Lets get it straight.

Yes a CVT has great potential to be a great performance item (near DCT performance), however- the Maxima is not geared for optimum performance. It will probably be a hair faster than the 7th/5.5gen(6spd) in a straight line and will run circles in handling over any Maxima, but its skewed toward economy/mass production. The "gear shifts" are just silly marketing and prevent crazy RPM climbs.

I hope for a Nismo model they revise the CVT for a more performance-driven experience.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by 95VQ30
The "gear shifts" are just silly marketing and prevent crazy RPM climbs.
It was implemented due to customers used to regular shifting automatics complaining about the CVT not feeling "normal".
Old 04-24-2015, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by 95VQ30
Lets get it straight.

Yes a CVT has great potential to be a great performance item (near DCT performance), however- the Maxima is not geared for optimum performance. It will probably be a hair faster than the 7th/5.5gen(6spd) in a straight line and will run circles in handling over any Maxima, but its skewed toward economy/mass production. The "gear shifts" are just silly marketing and prevent crazy RPM climbs.

I hope for a Nismo model they revise the CVT for a more performance-driven experience.
Very reasonable postulation. Yes, Nissan absolutely is going for fuel efficiency numbers over outright performance, because government fuel efficiency requirements continue to rise. Nissan really has no choice. As for the 'shifts', this is, as you say, a marketing ploy, but not a silly one. Nissan found that, as R1600Turbo said, one of the major complaints from customers was the strange feel of driving a CVT, so they are trying to help those CVT newbies feel that the CVT is not that different than shifting trannies.

There will come a time Nissan will do away with the fake shifting. That will happen once the general public understands how CVTs work, and becomes more accepting of them. In the meantime, they put paddles on the SV for those folks who still want the 'sense' of shifting.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:10 PM

I hate to hear that the 2016 Maxima is going to have fake shifting.
Hoping that can be changesd by having the car in normal mode vs sport mode. Never once have i complained about no shift points, to me its just
a continus smooth drive. Never the hunting for the correct gear and feeling
the loss of power as the computer and transmission find the correct gear.
The way I see it if you don't like a car with a CVT then don't buy it. There are
plenty and I mean plenty of cars that still use multi geared transmissons.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:46 PM

Keep in mind it's not fake shifting all the time. Under normal driving conditions it works as a normal CVT. It only works past a certain % of throttle.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

There is such things as test drives.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:17 PM

Very subjective because there are some dang good traditional auto trannies out there on cars with similar power or more that deliver as good or better fuel economy than a CVT in 290/300Hp V6 car. CVTs are the way Nissan is going and a few others but the others are mostly on lower end 4 cyln cars. Most others are sticking to traditional automatics in there "powerful" V6's. Acura TLX V6, Accord V6, Avalon, Genesis,Q50 etc etc. Some like traditional autos, DCT's, few others like CVT. All are pretty efficient these days.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Very subjective because there are some dang good traditional auto trannies out there on cars with similar power or more that deliver as good or better fuel economy than a CVT in 290/300Hp V6 car. CVTs are the way Nissan is going and a few others but the others are mostly on lower end 4 cyln cars. Most others are sticking to traditional automatics in there "powerful" V6's. Acura TLX V6, Accord V6, Avalon, Genesis,Q50 etc etc. Some like traditional autos, DCT's, few others like CVT. All are pretty efficient these days.
Of course you are correct that much of this is still subjective. I think the crux of the tranny situation is that, all else being equal, manuals are now recognized as the least fuel efficient and slowest accelerating type of tranny. At one time, they were the best. Continual upgrading and adding of more gears has kept the newest automatics virtually on a par with the gradually improving CVT. But high school physics tells us that, at some point, a tranny that never has to shift will edge out a tranny that must shift. Especially one that has lots of shifts, such as an 8 speed or 9 speed.

But the performance of the best automatics will always be very close to that of even the best CVTs. The edge will eventually go to the CVT because of:

1 - CVT is lighter, helping both fuel economy and acceleration.
2 - CVT is smaller, helping with space in car design.
3 - CVT has fewer parts, making for simpler construction.
4 - CVT is less expensive to build, reducing initial car cost.

Some of the cars you mentioned are getting less than rave reviews from testers. The road test of the new TLX in yesterday's Atlanta paper was disappointed in both power and handling. Consumer Reports found many shortcomings with the Q50.

The primary reasons many vehicles are sticking with automatics:

1 - Many customers are not yet sure of CVT reliability.
2 - Many customers are used to that feel ofshifting, and like it.
3 - Nissan is at the forefront in CVT development, while makers of several cars you mentioned are lagging in CVT development.

But you are correct that, at this time, the newest automatics are on a performance level with the newest CVTs.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:51 PM

At the end of the day, I couldn't care less whether its a CVT, traditional auto, or DCT. I just want it to be reliable, fast, and efficient.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:56 PM

Of course you are correct that much of this is still subjective. I think the crux of the tranny situation is that, all else being equal, manuals are now recognized as the least fuel efficient and slowest accelerating type of tranny. At one time, they were the best. Continual upgrading and adding of more gears has kept the newest automatics virtually on a par with the gradually improving CVT. But high school physics tells us that, at some point, a tranny that never has to shift will edge out a tranny that must shift. Especially one that has lots of shifts, such as an 8 speed or 9 speed.

But the performance of the best automatics will always be very close to that of even the best CVTs. The edge will eventually go to the CVT because of:

1 - CVT is lighter, helping both fuel economy and acceleration.
2 - CVT is smaller, helping with space in car design.
3 - CVT has fewer parts, making for simpler construction.
4 - CVT is less expensive to build, reducing initial car cost.

Some of the cars you mentioned are getting less than rave reviews from testers. The road test of the new TLX in yesterday's Atlanta paper was disappointed in both power and handling. Consumer Reports found many shortcomings with the Q50.

The primary reasons many vehicles are sticking with automatics:

1 - Many customers are not yet sure of CVT reliability.
2 - Many customers are used to that feel ofshifting, and like it.
3 - Nissan is at the forefront in CVT development, while makers of several cars you mentioned are lagging in CVT development.

But you are correct that, at this time, the newest automatics are on a performance level with the newest CVTs.
Indeed, and Light I was just using them as examples... :-). Btw the TLX V6 has a high 5 sec to 60 and 1/4 mile in the 103mph range, so its equally quick but "faster" than the Max after 60.http://www.caranddriver.com/acura/tlx I wonder if the tester you read on was a lowly 4cyl, also if Acura put some better stock tires on the TLX its handling would greatly improve as many owners have done!

Last edited by MONTE 01&97 SE; 04-25-2015 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Indeed, and Light I was just using them as examples... :-). Btw the TLX V6 has a high 5 sec to 60 and 1/4 mile in the 103mph range, so its equally quick but "faster" than the Max after 60.http://www.caranddriver.com/acura/tlx I wonder if the tester you read on was a lowly 4cyl, also if Acura put some better stock tires on the TLX its handling would greatly improve as many owners have done!
I think the new TLX has an acceleration edge over the 7th gen Maxima, but will be interested to see test results for the 8th gen Maxima. I also think the 8th gen Maxima will test better in handling than the TLX, and may also win on MPG, although the TLX, having less HP than the 8th gen, may do OK on fuel.

The reason I am interested in the 8th gen Maxima performance is because I assume the CVT lag at takeoff we experienced in the 7th gen has been corrected, that the lag in acceleration after 85 MPH we had in the 7th gen has been corrected, and the 80 pounds of lost weight and increase of HP in the 8th gen may be a factor.

I will say that the new TLX is a much more attractive car than the previous TLs with the front tooth. Although the new TLX turns no heads, there is something to be said for its new very conservative styling. Turning heads is not always a positive thing. I think the new TLX will be a direct competitor for the new Maxima with conservative buyers.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 04-26-2015 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:48 AM

Old 04-26-2015, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by NissanFreak2000
At the end of the day, I couldn't care less whether its a CVT, traditional auto, or DCT. I just want it to be reliable, fast, and efficient.
Totally agree! I want all three of those characteristics. The Altima V6 cvt was certainly fast and efficient, but the lack of reliability with the shuddering ruined it all. That is why the cvt on the new Maxima has to be perfect from the first availability or the rollout will be a disaster.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Max2013
Totally agree! I want all three of those characteristics. The Altima V6 cvt was certainly fast and efficient, but the lack of reliability with the shuddering ruined it all. That is why the cvt on the new Maxima has to be perfect from the first availability or the rollout will be a disaster.
Very true. Nissan clearly delayed the release of the 8th gen Maxima, and there are strong hints that the reason was their determination to get the CVT shudder experienced in the Altima fixed before releasing the Maxima. If they indeed have fixed that shudder, the 8th gen Maxima may well have the finest CVT we have ever seen in a production car.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by george__

Ummm. That does not look like the TLXs I have been seeing on the Acura lots. I think the difference is those wheels, which are really something. I hope the driver does not hit a pothole while turning the wheels or tries to cut through the curb ditch while turning into a steep driveway, else the front fenders will be popped right off the car. For TLX drivers who actually intend to use their car on the highway, at least the much more conservative OEM wheels look fine.

EDIT - Those rear splash guards are the most unusual I have ever seen.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 04-26-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:11 PM

Why is nissan trying so hard to make their CVT feel and sound like normal tranny ?
A 7speed tranny would improve driving experience a lot with similar mpg numbers.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by BluFlame
Why is nissan trying so hard to make their CVT feel and sound like normal tranny ?.
Customer complaints that "it doesn't feel normal". Probably been over this a million times.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by BluFlame
Why is nissan trying so hard to make their CVT feel and sound like normal tranny ?
A 7speed tranny would improve driving experience a lot with similar mpg numbers.
Like it or not, the CVT is going to be the tranny of the future. As it gets better and better, then the old high school physics laws come into play - Given like situations, a tranny that never has to shift will get better fuel efficiency and better acceleration than a tranny that has to shift.

But the 'similar mpg numbers' are only part of the story.

As the CVT continues to improve, it will be more fuel efficient than any automatic.

The CVT is smaller than automatic trannies, meaning less space needed.

The CVT is lighter, meaning less dead weight to get moving on takeoff and get stopped when braking.

The CVT has less moving parts, and is easier to assemble.

The CVT costs the manufacturer less than an automatic tranny.

Nissan is probably the best CVT maker in the business.

These points and more have been posted here in several threads. We need to accept that the CVT is the tranny for the Maxima, is probably going to be in an ever-increasing number of car models, and those who just can't let go of those 2nd mllenium shifting trannies need to look at cars other than the Maxima.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:07 AM

I will never buy a car with a CVT transmission not matter how great it looks. I've driven a few cars with them and I do not like it. Also pretty much every automobile journalist will tell you cvt transmissions and the word sports sedan don't go together. The main reason Nissan has fallen so far in reliability ratings is due to there cvt transmissions. Even Honda is smart enough to use a traditional automatic transmission on there v6 accord and dump the cvt on the 4cyl models only....Come on Nissan
Old 04-27-2015, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
I will never buy a car with a CVT transmission not matter how great it looks. I've driven a few cars with them and I do not like it. Also pretty much every automobile journalist will tell you cvt transmissions and the word sports sedan don't go together. The main reason Nissan has fallen so far in reliability ratings is due to there cvt transmissions. Even Honda is smart enough to use a traditional automatic transmission on there v6 accord and dump the cvt on the 4cyl models only....Come on Nissan
Change is a good thing and if we aren't changing, we are falling behind. If the CVT is here to stay and Nissan keeps improving year over year, it's a good thing. Quit being so short sighted and look longer term, I would imagine that's what Nissan is thinking. You should probably be looking elsewhere as the CVT is here to stay and it doesn't sound look the new Max is for you.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:54 AM

Nissan invented the Cvt over 20 years ago now. Not only Honda but Subaru is using them too, both rate very high on the reliability charts. In circa 2015 cvt's are good to go.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by richmusch
Change is a good thing and if we aren't changing, we are falling behind. If the CVT is here to stay and Nissan keeps improving year over year, it's a good thing. Quit being so short sighted and look longer term, I would imagine that's what Nissan is thinking. You should probably be looking elsewhere as the CVT is here to stay and it doesn't sound look the new Max is for you.
Not being short sighted and yes the new Maxima isn't for me. As far as the CVT being here to stay, for some automakers yes for some no. I love my 5.5 gen 6speed and will keep it until the wheels fall off. After that I will not be looking at any Nissan products. If they have improved the CVT so much then why has the Altima been a complete mess. I had a 2014 Altima rental and the engine droning is awful on the highway which is caused by the CVT. Its just the nature of the beast. I don't have a problem with anyone looking to buy the new Maxima, as this is just my 2 cents. I just can't bring myself to pay 40K for a car with a CVT.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by richmusch
I agree Nissan will keep perfecting and investing lots of funds into the R&D improvements for the CVT. It will keep becoming faster, more efficient and more reliable! I think this is great! The Max won't be for everyone, but Nissan nailed this car in my opinion and it will draw in more new people to the family than it will lose because some don't like the transmission options! For me, this car is an amazing sporty FWD sedan!
Old 04-27-2015, 08:18 AM

If I am not mistaken, they have fixed the droning with the whole d-shift, d-step, whatever in the 2015s and up. I personally am not fund of CVTs myself, but I do think it is time to accept that they're here to stay and that as time goes by, they'll get better, already have.

Honestly if you drive a CVT like a normal human being, you really can't tell the difference until you get on it. I drive a 2007 Altima 3.5 6-spd and my mom had a 2008 or so 2.5 CVT rental that I drove specifically to see what it feels like, and it honestly wasn't that bad.

But I look at it like this, think how much disdain there was with automatics for a long time, now look how much they have improved. It used to be that they were the slower and less efficient route. NOW automatics are the faster option and the more fuel efficient option, compared to manuals. It took a while to get to that point, but.. I think the same will happen with CVTs eventually, but it won't take as long for them to evolve. Look at the strides Nissan has made. The fact they have found a way to "create shifts" to make them feel like more conventional autos yet not affect overall efficiency is a feat in itself.

I'm not ready to own one, and I will also hold onto my 6-spd as long as I can but I have accepted that my next car will most likely be an auto and I am sure in the future, at some point, lies a CVT...
Old 04-27-2015, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by NissLover
If I am not mistaken, they have fixed the droning with the whole d-shift, d-step, whatever in the 2015s and up. I personally am not fund of CVTs myself, but I do think it is time to accept that they're here to stay and that as time goes by, they'll get better, already have.

Honestly if you drive a CVT like a normal human being, you really can't tell the difference until you get on it. I drive a 2007 Altima 3.5 6-spd and my mom had a 2008 or so 2.5 CVT rental that I drove specifically to see what it feels like, and it honestly wasn't that bad.

But I look at it like this, think how much disdain there was with automatics for a long time, now look how much they have improved. It used to be that they were the slower and less efficient route. NOW automatics are the faster option and the more fuel efficient option, compared to manuals. It took a while to get to that point, but.. I think the same will happen with CVTs eventually, but it won't take as long for them to evolve. Look at the strides Nissan has made. The fact they have found a way to "create shifts" to make them feel like more conventional autos yet not affect overall efficiency is a feat in itself.

I'm not ready to own one, and I will also hold onto my 6-spd as long as I can but I have accepted that my next car will most likely be an auto and I am sure in the future, at some point, lies a CVT...
I also accept the fact that my next car will be a automatic, just not CVT. Not all auto manufacturers believe in the future of CVT. So there will still be options out there. You won't be stuck with a CVT unless you want too. There are plenty of new 7-9 speed automatics being developed, but manual transmission cars will be a thing of the past and I hate coming to grips with that
Old 04-27-2015, 12:06 PM

Some one else said it before and I will repeat: If the CVT was so great then why isn't there a CVT in a GTR?!
Whaaahhhh! EmmmPeeeGeeee! Whaaaahhhh! too much moneeeeee!
Then go buy an Altima.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by 2003MaximaMan
Some one else said it before and I will repeat: If the CVT was so great then why isn't there a CVT in a GTR?!
Whaaahhhh! EmmmPeeeGeeee! Whaaaahhhh! too much moneeeeee!
Then go buy an Altima.
...or better yet, swap out the Altima body for the GTR's body!

Weeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-27-2015, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
Not being short sighted and yes the new Maxima isn't for me. As far as the CVT being here to stay, for some automakers yes for some no. I love my 5.5 gen 6speed and will keep it until the wheels fall off. After that I will not be looking at any Nissan products. If they have improved the CVT so much then why has the Altima been a complete mess. I had a 2014 Altima rental and the engine droning is awful on the highway which is caused by the CVT. Its just the nature of the beast. I don't have a problem with anyone looking to buy the new Maxima, as this is just my 2 cents. I just can't bring myself to pay 40K for a car with a CVT.
You have now asked twice why, if the CVT is so good, are other carmakers still sticking with the automatic?

The answer is, THEY ARE NOT.

Gradually, other carmakers are moving their automobile lines to CVTs. BUT THIS CAN'T HAPPEN OVERNIGHT, because most of these other automakers are behind in CVT development. Toyota, in particular, got caught with their pants down with the CVT, and are trying to catch up by working with other carmakers who are ahead of them in CVT development.

Those here (and there are several), who 'drove a CVT and didn't like it' remind me of certain automakers in the early 1950s, whos techs drove those early automatics, and didn't like them, so lallygagged with manuals, and went out of business. Yes, those early automatics were bad. I know because I drove them. But I knew at the time that automatics were absolutely the future of trannies. And they were.

I'm quite sure none of the 'CVT protesters' here have driven the 8th gen Maxima. They probably are not even aware the 8th gen was delayed because Nissan wanted the CVT to be right. The were not going to release the new Maxima with the troublesome CVT that hurt the Altima. Also remember that the CVT in the 7th gen Maxima has an excellent reliability record. I had a few months where it took me some experimenting before I felt I was driving the CVT correctly (just mashing the pedal is NOT the way to drive a CVT), but, once I felt acclimated, I have grown to love it. Not the first whisper of a problem in almost seven years.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:07 AM

You have now asked twice why, if the CVT is so good, are other carmakers still sticking with the automatic?

The answer is, THEY ARE NOT.

Gradually, other carmakers are moving their automobile lines to CVTs. BUT THIS CAN'T HAPPEN OVERNIGHT, because most of these other automakers are behind in CVT development. Toyota, in particular, got caught with their pants down with the CVT, and are trying to catch up by working with other carmakers who are ahead of them in CVT development.

Those here (and there are several), who 'drove a CVT and didn't like it' remind me of certain automakers in the early 1950s, whos techs drove those early automatics, and didn't like them, so lallygagged with manuals, and went out of business. Yes, those early automatics were bad. I know because I drove them. But I knew at the time that automatics were absolutely the future of trannies. And they were.

I'm quite sure none of the 'CVT protesters' here have driven the 8th gen Maxima. They probably are not even aware the 8th gen was delayed because Nissan wanted the CVT to be right. The were not going to release the new Maxima with the troublesome CVT that hurt the Altima. Also remember that the CVT in the 7th gen Maxima has an excellent reliability record. I had a few months where it took me some experimenting before I felt I was driving the CVT correctly (just mashing the pedal is NOT the way to drive a CVT), but, once I felt acclimated, I have grown to love it. Not the first whisper of a problem in almost seven years.
Ford and GM are automakers who tinkered with CVT but now are focusing on 7-9 speed transmission because consumer feed back wasn't positive. From what I've read NOT every automaker is interested in CVT technology. Nissan loves it and that's fine, but its not going to be the only transmission available in future cars. As far as the 7th gen CVT goes I would hardly call it very reliable. There are lots of post on CVT problems and if you go to Edmunds.com there are plenty more over there complaining out CVT failures on the 7th gen...The new Altima came out after the 7th gen and consumer reports states a 20% failure rate of the CVT in that car.

Quick Reply: 2016 Maxima Assembly Line