8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

The hat trick of test drives.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 04:54 AM

The hat trick of test drives.

Yesterday I took some time and test drove An SR, a Platinum and a Q50 Premium. As a reference, I currently drive a 12 Premium. My thoughts...

I started with the SR. The camel interior was by far the most aesthetic. I wish they would expand the availability to the Platinum. A very comfortable cabin, no question!

The taillights are a disappointment from the 7th gen. You could always recognize a 7th gen Max from a distance, this new design is quite ubiquitous. And not even LED! One of the cost compromises, no doubt.

The behavior of the chassis was jarring with those 19s on the less than perfect Decatur GA local streets. You really feel the bumps. I did not prefer the feel of the suspension compared to my '12, so that was the end of that test drive.

Next was the Q50 as I was waiting on the dealer to prep a Platinum that just came in. I had test driven a Q37 years back and I gotta say, compared to that, the Q50 lacks some of the excitement in handling. The Q is a bit more tame. The Q is also a bit more spacious, therefore more comfortable for my 6 foot frame than the G.

The big surprise for me (and not in a good way) is the 7 speed transmission. It demonstrated a significant lag (up to 2 seconds) when hitting the accelerator from a standstill, and I was able to get it to go hunting for the right gear (the engine free revving up to ~ 4.5k) before it found the right gear) during passing or quick acceleration efforts. Reminded me of why I never liked automatic transmissions of the past.

Finally, the Platinum. That was spot on! Very comfortable, handling is better than my '12 (less roll), the steering a little lighter than the '12, but not too much to be an issue. The car did turn heads too!

The sport mode is completely superfluous IMO. I did notice the steering get tighter, but only at highway speeds and similar to the 7th gen. The gas pedal did get stiffer too. The CVT also started revving higher and it introduced the stepping to simulate gears. Plain silly.

In the standard mode, the CVT is excellent. Fast response, no hunting. Well behaved.

The one significant difference between the Q and the MAX I noticed was the Max did not provide email access whereas the Q did. I hope that they may add that to the Max in future software updates. Another difference was the speed of the interface. The Max was faster.

And finally, what I found a little disturbing was the apparent flimsiness of the door panels. You can push or pull on the arm rests and the panel would move up to ~ an inch. I noticed that on both front doors on different cars. Very strange!

I'm not pulling the trigger until next month, but the initial $$ conversations gave me impression that the price diff between a Platinum and a Q50 Premium with the Nav and Tech pkgs would be around 3k. (The Infiniti dealer mentioned he has 40 Q50's on the back lot and they were ready to deal seriously). If it wasn't for the 7 speed tranny on the Q, it would be a serious consideration (though I would definitely miss the panoramic roof!).
Old 06-27-2015, 09:39 AM

Great review. Thanks for the info. Another strange thing is you cant get cooled seats on the q50?.
Right now my guess is if you are leasing you will get a better deal with the q50.
I am waiting patiently to see if Nissan lease rates for July improve. It wont be long they have no choice. You can easily lease a q50 or a tlx right now for less than 425 even in the high threes if you are good. You can get a damn good deal on a Genesis Awd sedan also. Nissan knows this, historically the Max is one of the best leasing cars out there they are just waiting... Good deals also on Charger rt and the 300.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:04 AM

I would say try out a Q50 Sport as well.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by steevo
Great review. Thanks for the info. Another strange thing is you cant get cooled seats on the q50?.
Right now my guess is if you are leasing you will get a better deal with the q50.
I am waiting patiently to see if Nissan lease rates for July improve. It wont be long they have no choice. You can easily lease a q50 or a tlx right now for less than 425 even in the high threes if you are good. You can get a damn good deal on a Genesis Awd sedan also. Nissan knows this, historically the Max is one of the best leasing cars out there they are just waiting... Good deals also on Charger rt and the 300.
The tech pkg offers ventilated seats for both driver and passenger (so says the sales guy).

I wouldn't lease as I tend to hold onto cars for a long time. This case is unusual for me. I just wanted to leverage the equity I have on my 12 towards a new generation.

I'm really liking the interfaces, and the very comfy seats.
My wife especially likes the fact that she'll get a ventilated seat as well...

I'm going to look at a Genesis for the sake of comparison. Maybe even a Cadenza.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by NissLover
I would say try out a Q50 Sport as well.
Outa my price range. Also, I'm not interested in the drive by wire.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by guitarman
Yesterday I took some time and test drove An SR, a Platinum and a Q50 Premium. As a reference, I currently drive a 12 Premium. My thoughts...

And finally, what I found a little disturbing was the apparent flimsiness of the door panels. You can push or pull on the arm rests and the panel would move up to ~ an inch. I noticed that on both front doors on different cars. Very strange!

!).

Good informative review , thanks

I find it a little more than disturbing. I did not notice that but I did notice that I could stick my finger in between the center console and the side panel and pull it away more than an inch with little effort. The side panels do not seem sturdy at all. It did not look like a quality fit.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:04 PM

The tech pkg offers ventilated seats for both driver and passenger (so says the sales guy).

I wouldn't lease as I tend to hold onto cars for a long time. This case is unusual for me. I just wanted to leverage the equity I have on my 12 towards a new generation.

I'm really liking the interfaces, and the very comfy seats.
My wife especially likes the fact that she'll get a ventilated seat as well...

I'm going to look at a Genesis for the sake of comparison. Maybe even a Cadenza.
Both are sweet I've checked them out. Cadenza is suprisingly nice in person they will go way under invoice. Car is similar to the Maxima in that there are no options the car comes loaded. Genesis, if you load it, will be tough as it lists over 50000 unless you can lease, in which case incentives and low MF
make the payments more in line with a 40000 dollar car. If you can check out a Black Cadenza Limited with the White Interior package. Cadenza's are not easy to find. Most dealers only have 2 or so.

Oh and as to the q50. No cooled seats and no Ventilated seats. As usual, the sales guy is wrong. Even the q50s Hybrid does not have them.

Last edited by steevo; 06-27-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:09 PM

I saw the q50 premium and the tlx advertised for 309 a month.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by WasDmater
I find it a little more than disturbing. I did not notice that but I did notice that I could stick my finger in between the center console and the side panel and pull it away more than an inch with little effort. The side panels do not seem sturdy at all. It did not look like a quality fit.
Do you have a photo of this area?
Old 06-27-2015, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by R1600Turbo
Do you have a photo of this area?

No. I noticed it when I test drove the car 2 weeks ago but did not take picture.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:32 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

I have been meaning to find the time to go test drive a new Maxima. I love my Q50 but I don't know if I want to continue to pay the price premium next year when my lease is up. I really don't need a sedan as big as the Maxima anymore but there is no way I'd move downmarket. I'd be loosing some of the technological bells and whistles that I have become used to.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:58 PM

The taillights are a disappointment from the 7th gen. You could always recognize a 7th gen Max from a distance, this new design is quite ubiquitous. And not even LED! One of the cost compromises, no doubt.
Thats a shame... From my understanding LED costs less to manufacture than regular lights. Should become obsolete. Maybe they plan on having LED tail lights introduced in later years. Wouldn't surprise me as they remove and try to add features since they aren't adding any new tech to the max. The Corolla which costs half as much as the max comes w LED Head lights.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:25 PM

No. I noticed it when I test drove the car 2 weeks ago but did not take picture.
Where is it specifically?
Old 06-27-2015, 05:27 PM

Good informative review , thanks

Yes, I noticed that too. It's something to watch on an ongoing basis. If the later cars start tightening up, I can always bring it in for a tweak.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:41 PM

Both are sweet I've checked them out. Cadenza is suprisingly nice in person they will go way under invoice. Car is similar to the Maxima in that there are no options the car comes loaded. Genesis, if you load it, will be tough as it lists over 50000 unless you can lease, in which case incentives and low MF
make the payments more in line with a 40000 dollar car. If you can check out a Black Cadenza Limited with the White Interior package. Cadenza's are not easy to find. Most dealers only have 2 or so.

Oh and as to the q50. No cooled seats and no Ventilated seats. As usual, the sales guy is wrong. Even the q50s Hybrid does not have them.
I just got back from test driving both the Genesis 3.8 with all of the option packages, and the Cadenza Premium (they didn't have a Limited available).

I like the exterior of the Genesis a lot. Yes, there are design languages from other manufacturers, but it works; I like it better than the Max actually.

The heads up display is great! I wish that was available on the Max. That and the motorized trunk. The bottom line was the sales guy intimated it could be had for ~ $47k, sticker $52k. The problem is the transmission did not impress and the steering was very light and quite disconnected. Granted, I only tried the regular mode. Didn't think about trying the sport mode until I was long gone. Seats were comfy, but not as comfy as the new Max.

The only Cadenza on the lot was only available with the Premium package, so interior did not impress. The transmission behaved better than the Genesis, but it did not come across as a 'driver's car'. Quite pedestrian.

When returning to my '12 Max after test driving the other cars, I was very happy with the car.

I think Nissan has spoiled me with the CVT. I'm actually fine with that.

On the Q50 - A Sales guy wrong?!? That never happens.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:56 PM

I drove both the Genesis and the Cadenza last year as well, and liked both. But equipped the way I would want it, the Genesis would have a few more bells and whistles than the Max, but cost quite a bit more.

I would describe the Cadenza as a Korean Buick (New Buick, not old, floaty Buick). I had a similar experience trying to find a Limited in a color I wanted. Very few Limiteds within 500 miles of me, and many dealers with just a few Premiums. Makes me wonder if they (Kia) really believe in the car and are willing to support it.

So here I am - contemplating the 8th gen, and it's been a long time since I was as excited by a test drive.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:21 PM

Outa my price range. Also, I'm not interested in the drive by wire.
DAS (Drive-by-wire) is not standard on any cars except the Hybrids. A sport model can be had without DAS.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by NissLover
DAS (Drive-by-wire) is not standard on any cars except the Hybrids. A sport model can be had without DAS.

Good to know. Thanks NL..
Old 06-28-2015, 08:43 PM

Aren't most if not all modern cars utilizing drive-by-wire throttle control? I know Maximas for at least the past 3 generations (including this new one) have no mechanical connection between the pedal and the throttle of the engine. It's all computer controlled from the pedal position.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:57 PM

Yes most new cars use drive by wire throttle control.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:33 PM

Good to know. Thanks NL..
Guitarman go into the Q50 forum and see what some actual owners say/think on the DAS and on the Q in general. http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/
Old 06-29-2015, 01:22 PM
RR5

you said you don't care for drive by wire??? The Maxima and I'm sure many other Nissans have used an electronically controlled throttle body since the 2000's. There's no cable linkage between the accelerator pedal and the throttle body.

The one selling point, in my opinion, of the new 8th gen is the GT-R style center console with the properly placed engine start/stop button. The exterior looks overall are rather impressive and I agree Nissan fell asleep at the wheel over the tail lamps.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:41 PM

I think he was originally talking about the drive by wire steering available on the q50
Old 06-29-2015, 03:35 PM

I think he was originally talking about the drive by wire steering available on the q50
Could just call it electric steering which is what most people call it.

Maxima is electric assist, so it's still hydraulic but uses an electric motor to determine steering effort.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The taillight do have LED lights wrapped around them. this is the best picture i could find, but look better at night.
Attached Thumbnails The hat trick of test drives.-2016_nissan_maxima_platinum_rear.png  
Old 06-30-2015, 07:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by RR5
you said you don't care for drive by wire??? The Maxima and I'm sure many other Nissans have used an electronically controlled throttle body since the 2000's. There's no cable linkage between the accelerator pedal and the throttle body.
The Q50 steer by wire is electric steering. No mechanical connection between the streering wheel and front wheels. has nothing to do with the throttle body and pedal.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by LuchiaLu
The taillight do have LED lights wrapped around them. this is the best picture i could find, but look better at night.
Yes, but those are not the brake lights, which is a step backwards from a safety perspective.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:25 AM
RR5

Ah yes good point, when I see Drive by wire I always think only about the electronic throttle body.

Originally Posted by LuchiaLu
The Q50 steer by wire is electric steering. No mechanical connection between the streering wheel and front wheels. has nothing to do with the throttle body and pedal.
Steering by wire would have been more accurate. Drive by wire to me has always meant the electronic throttle body. I just wonder how that affects the steering systems overall realibility. No steering rack and its various leaks over time and so on.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:30 PM

Yes, but those are not the brake lights, which is a step backwards from a safety perspective.
Led tail ligts are standard. You are concerned that the brake lights are not bright enough?
Old 06-30-2015, 03:52 PM

Led tail lights are standard. You are concerned that the brake lights are not bright enough?
It's not that. A standard bulb intrinsically comes to full brightness slower than an LED does. The faster the illumination, the sooner the guy behind me knows I'm stopping and can respond.

Between my wife and I, in the past we've had 3 instances of people following too close and rear ending the cars. I'll take any advantage I can get.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:29 PM

Led tail ligts are standard. You are concerned that the brake lights are not bright enough?
To the eye the separate bulbed LED's as on the 7th gen and 370Z appear to brighter when the brakes are applied than some of the newer application of LED's, even when the brakes aren't applied which may be an optical illusion. Newer versions are one continuous light the shape of the light, which aren't as unique to the eye to some.