8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Test drove or checked out the new Maxima? Give your impressions here!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015 | 05:16 PM

I was hesitant until I went to the dealer, in the right color combos its a great car.
Old 07-17-2015 | 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by mls277
I was hesitant until I went to the dealer, in the right color combos its a great car.
Exactly how Im starting to feel about it.
Old 09-01-2015 | 06:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Quandry - just test drove 2016 Maxima

Hello, this is my first post here, after lurking for the last couple of weeks. I just test drove the new Maxima this last weekend, and really like the car. I have been cross-shopping sedans and crossovers, so also test drove the new Murano. On the same day I tested a 2015 Taurus SHO and a 2015 Ford Edge Sport (the Ford and Nissan dealer are under the same owner, and right next to each other). I still intend to test an Acura TLX and RDX, and possibly a Toyota Avalon.
I have a 2012 Ford Fusion, which has been a solid car, I just want something with a stronger engine, and nicer interior. The Maxima definitely fits the bill, but on the other hand I like the taller driving position of a crossover, plus there are times I would like a vehicle with more room to haul stuff.
I realize this is the first year of the Maxima and there are going to be teething problems...I just read the thread about quality issues, and of course that is a concern.
I was curious if anyone else out there had similar needs in a car, and how they came to choose the Maxima. I am contemplating a Deep Blue Pearl platinum.
Thanks in advance!
Steve
Old 09-08-2015 | 08:15 PM
Administrator

bump
Old 09-08-2015 | 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Steveinwylie
Hello, this is my first post here, after lurking for the last couple of weeks. I just test drove the new Maxima this last weekend, and really like the car. I have been cross-shopping sedans and crossovers, so also test drove the new Murano. On the same day I tested a 2015 Taurus SHO and a 2015 Ford Edge Sport (the Ford and Nissan dealer are under the same owner, and right next to each other). I still intend to test an Acura TLX and RDX, and possibly a Toyota Avalon.
I have a 2012 Ford Fusion, which has been a solid car, I just want something with a stronger engine, and nicer interior. The Maxima definitely fits the bill, but on the other hand I like the taller driving position of a crossover, plus there are times I would like a vehicle with more room to haul stuff.
I realize this is the first year of the Maxima and there are going to be teething problems...I just read the thread about quality issues, and of course that is a concern.
I was curious if anyone else out there had similar needs in a car, and how they came to choose the Maxima. I am contemplating a Deep Blue Pearl platinum.
Thanks in advance!
Steve
A bit of a different scenario but I was kind of in the same boat. I just purchased a white, Platinum Max. I traded in 2010 4Runner and HD Cruiser. I was looking at sport wagons and a few sport sedans (BMW 3 wagon, Audi Allroad, E-350, Lexus GS F-Sport, etc...). I stumbled across the new Max, when looking at Rogue for my sister. I couldn't believe how much car you got for the money and was really blown away during the test drive. One of the big selling points for me was the fact the two portions of the backseat fold down! May sound minor but it really helps, when thrown a snow board, sets of golf clubs, etc... in the back.

My scenario is a little different because we recently purchased a Jeep GC for my wife. She no longer drives it because she takes the bus downtown for work now. So, I can use that for larger hauls or snowy MN days.
Old 09-10-2015 | 10:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Tested a Platinum and an SR

Went to dealer #1 and tested a Platinum. Later, dealer #2 and drove SR.
1)Platinum
I will say it has a very nice interior on the whole.
Some of the buttons / controls especially on the center console ('stick' control) seemed a bit gimmicky to me. I like plain and simple .
The power was a bit more than my Altima 3.5 SL (2013). 30 hp more.
I detected what I call 'pseudo-shifting' without being in sport mode, but under firm acceleration. I have this in the Altima but only in Sport Mode andat around 3500-400K RPM. I do like he effect.
The exterior appearance of the car is more in line with the 2013 Altima look (not to mention the current Sentra).
4 way camera was interesting; I don't considerate a necessity.
2) SR
Tighter handling here. No moon roof available. Not a big problem for me.
Small bumps in the road were felt, probably because of stiffer suspension.
No 4 way camera, but the camera and screen were much better than my Altima(ditto for Platinum).
I decided that I am very comfortable with the Altima 6 cyl, and will probably stick with it for a while longer. So I declined discussion of trade in
value, ;what if the numbers worked', etc.

Hal in Va. near D.C.
Old 09-11-2015 | 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by 14GmMax
After hating the look of the new max I guess its slowly starting to grow on me considering I saw a car yesterday on base and went "holy Cr** what is that" it was the new max lol then saw another one immediately after. Not too bad after all I suppose.
Almost every gen Maxima begins with limited fan support for styling, but somehow ends up drawing us in. This week's Motor Week says this is the best Maxima ever, and raved about the exterior styling. After initially having mixed feelings when I saw this 8th gen in the Super Bowl ad, I have grown to really like this aggressive look. I think the hours I spent sitting in, walking around, feeling things, studying it from all angles when one arrived at my dealer for viewing in mid-May convinced me this was the nicest Maxima yet. And I have owned nothing but Maximas for 31 years.
Old 09-12-2015 | 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Almost every gen Maxima begins with limited fan support for styling, but somehow ends up drawing us in. This week's Motor Week says this is the best Maxima ever, and raved about the exterior styling. After initially having mixed feelings when I saw this 8th gen in the Super Bowl ad, I have grown to really like this aggressive look. I think the hours I spent sitting in, walking around, feeling things, studying it from all angles when one arrived at my dealer for viewing in mid-May convinced me this was the nicest Maxima yet. And I have owned nothing but Maximas for 31 years.
Interesting how Motorweek liked it, Car and Driver and Edmunds do not like it, primarily Car and Driver based on their harsh comments in the Sept 2015 issue. Its best to be the JUDGE yourself, but unfortunately so many people take stock into C/D opinions as the largest auto publication out there.

Last edited by MONTE 01&97 SE; 09-12-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-15-2015 | 09:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Test drove a SL & Platinum yesterday. After 15 yrs in a truck it defiantly felt
odd being so low....but I liked it!

Salesman said don't be afraid to get on it & I did!

Unfortunately the sale went south as they continued to low ball me on my
trade so I bounced & went home.

I do have a ?. They had a pearl white SR with the black Nissan wheels/tires
tint etc.. Is this a Nissan package that only comes on certain colors &/or models for 2016?

Sales dude was telling me this was a $8k up grade.

BS or not?
Old 09-15-2015 | 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by okie

tint etc.. Is this a Nissan package that only comes on certain colors &/or models for 2016?

BS or not?
Pure BS, run as far as you can on that one!!!
Old 09-16-2015 | 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by okie

BS or not?
Definitely BS. You can go build one on Nissan's site like that and see the price (without window tinting though. You can get that done after the sale for couple hundred $$ depending on where you go).
Old 09-19-2015 | 03:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just took a Platinum out for an extended suburban/highway drive and left in Sport mode.

• Nice engine sound
  • Great engine refinement: they've really engineered out the oft-reported grittiness of the VQ V6
  • As Nissan says, 3/8 throttle and it acts like a CVT. Punch it and it does a good impression (albeit slowly) of gear changes
  • Beautiful touch points in interior with good AC and cooled seats that really cool
  • Loads of legroom; adequate headroom if seat is on the floor
  • Great navigation graphics and readable, clear screen between tach and speedo
  • Generally very good build quality
  • Heavy on-center steering feel; tracks straight and true on the highway like a German car.
  • Good driver ergonomics and actual buttons and ***** for climate control, volume adjustment, seat heating/cooling
  • Tons of features, literally everything I want except electric parking brake and Android Auto, neither of which is a deal breaker
  • Zero Gravity seats are really comfortable
  • Not a sports car no matter what Nissan says; this is a terrific commuting car and one in which I could spend many happy highway miles

Dislikes
  • Low-down plastics not of the highest quality (ragged edges from where door pockets came out of mold, flimsy-feeling thigh adjuster and hood opener)
  • Door handles (inside and out) and lock buttons just don't have that ingot-like solidity and turn signal and wiper stalks feel brittle
  • Exterior styling is busy, busy, busy. Not an ugly car, but will be impossible to get all of the stampings, swoops, and intersections to align when body repair is necessary (that's true of all cars these days, though)
  • Cheap interior and trunk carpeting
  • Sunroof is standard on Platinum; wish the Japanese makers would relegate them to standalone option status
Given how nit-picky my dislikes are and how good the drive quality and interior design/finish generally are, I'll summarize that this car definitely makes my short list of sedans. Hopefully my local dealer will be anxious to move them in December.
Old 09-20-2015 | 06:30 AM

I drove a platinum 2 months ago and i will agree- not a sports car- but a heck of a comfortable and capable car. nice review.