8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

An order of Bordeaux over here...Platinum style

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015 | 09:06 PM

An order of Bordeaux over here...Platinum style

In honor of our country's birthday, I spent some money!

Picked up a Bordeaux Black Platinum, light interior. To keep on budget, no significant accessories, but I'll go down that path in the not too distant future. First thing will be tint, of course. Spoiler and interior lighting kit after that.

Riding home through familiar territory including some twisties, I immediately felt the difference in handling. This version holds the pavement much better. Less roll than the 7th gen. It put a smile on my face!

It's also nice not to have the headrest putting a dent in my back anymore

With regards to the radio, I do notice the quality of the audio is not as good as the 7th. Sounds a bit thin, though it is cool that the SXM radio includes a 30 min replay function.

Also, neither the cubby hole slot for the cell phone nor the cup holders accommodate a Samsung Edge.

Edit: Thanks for the tip LOTH...

The next question is how do I adjust the size of the pics?

Last edited by guitarman; 07-05-2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-05-2015 | 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by guitarman
In honor of our country's birthday, I spent some money!

Picked up a Bordeaux Black Platinum, light interior. To keep on budget, no significant accessories, but I'll go down that path in the not too distant future. First thing will be tint, of course. Spoiler and interior lighting kit after that.

Riding home through familiar territory including some twisties, I immediately felt the difference in handling. This version holds the pavement much better. Less roll than the 7th gen. It put a smile on my face!

It's also nice not to have the headrest putting a dent in my back anymore

With regards to the radio, I do notice the quality of the audio is not as good as the 7th. Sounds a bit thin, though it is cool that the SXM radio includes a 30 min replay function.

Also, neither the cubby hole slot for the cell phone nor the cup holders accommodate a Samsung Edge.

Don't know why, but I'm not able to post attachments.

Congrats! Folks who 'test drive' the 8th gen say they don't notice much difference in handling. Folks who actually BUY the 8th gen leave no doubt the 8th gen handles better than the 7th gen. Ummmm. I think I know who to believe.

As to the attachments, many boards do not allow attachments, as that is the preferred manner in which hackers attack systems.
Old 07-06-2015 | 05:58 AM

Congrats on the Maxima. Car looks great. Seems like the 8th gen handles better than the previous, which I expected with the upgrades that Nissan did. Can't wait to order my beast! Enjoy the car!
Old 07-06-2015 | 08:18 AM

Looks sweet. So far all of the colors seem much darker in person than they do on the Nissan website.
Old 07-06-2015 | 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by steevo
Looks sweet. So far all of the colors seem much darker in person than they do on the Nissan website.

That's professional photography for ya.

It was this or the Forged Bronze. My wife's vote was for the BB, so there you go!

The darker colors do lessen the effect of the C pillar accent of course, but it does enhance the nose. We already noticed the affect the type of light that hits the car has on the perceived color of the car. We've seen black, port, bordeaux, eggplant and for some reason, my wife thought it looked dark navy blue at one point (?!?).

On a more fiscal note, the dealer did not budge from sticker, but took away most of their charges which is mostly profit. I was weighing it against the steadily waning resale of my '12. From the time I started looking seriously to when I pulled the trigger, the NADA and Edmunds trade in value went down around $800!
Old 07-06-2015 | 10:16 AM

I was at the dealer today. Can you give some info on your trade in? how many miles, trim, and what they agreed to pay you?

and just looking at the car I can tell it will handle better it looks like a sports car.
Old 07-06-2015 | 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by mls277
I was at the dealer today. Can you give some info on your trade in? how many miles, trim, and what they agreed to pay you?

and just looking at the car I can tell it will handle better it looks like a sports car.

I responded to your other thread just now.
Old 07-06-2015 | 12:20 PM

What a relief! I checked out the audio settings to see if anything would make the audio sound so flat. Turned out the Centerpoint was enabled. Turned it off and the audio quality was what I expected! Whew!

That Centerpoint feature is for s$*t!

Old 07-07-2015 | 06:36 PM

I've had the car 4 days and already I've had 2 people tell me how much they like the car. Both especially like the grille.

I contrast, in the 3.5 years I had the 7th gen, I never had anyone stop me to comment on the car.

And tonight was the first night I drove the car and I got to check out the accent lighting under the faux wood strips on both front doors and the dash. Sweet!!
Old 07-24-2015 | 01:43 PM

Just got 35% tints and the diffuser added:

Last edited by guitarman; 07-24-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-24-2015 | 02:57 PM

Just got 35% tints and the diffuser added:

Nice!!!

I also got a Bordeaux Black Platinum and have the special 18" wheels, rocker panels and diffuser on order. Then I decided yesterday to get a 38% tint and made an appointment for next week. From the looks of your car, I made the right decision! Thanks for the pix.
Old 07-24-2015 | 03:09 PM

What was funny was I had thought the diffuser part was just the chrome and plastic underneath the chrome. It turns out the part includes all of the plastic across the bumper up to the seam.

The rocker panel is next for me too. Chrome accents really help to bring out the lines on this dark car.

I don't know if anybody else sees this, but the rear shoulders remind me of a Volvo design queue.

Last edited by guitarman; 07-24-2015 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-24-2015 | 03:35 PM

Gorgeous in that color! I would probably have gone with Bordeaux too but did not have the opportunity to see the color in person. I don't like to base a big decision like that on brochures and websites.
Old 07-24-2015 | 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Shmoopy
Gorgeous in that color! I would probably have gone with Bordeaux too but did not have the opportunity to see the color in person. I don't like to base a big decision like that on brochures and websites.

Wise. Even if the true colors are being transmitted via the internet (and they often are not), every PC screen/monitor will display them in slightly different tones. And if you print them, they will be even more different. I have learned this the hard way over the years. That is why I still frequent big box stores and leave Amazon to my grandkids.
Old 08-05-2015 | 12:44 PM

Just had the dealer install the kick plates and interior lighting kit.

I gotta say, the way Nissan implements the LEDs in the cup holder is a bit cheesy. I like the way Dodge /Chrysler does it better.

If anyone out there wishes to add either one of these accessories, I would recommend you also install the other at the same time if you have the desire to. It'll save you labor $$. For the interior kit, they charged me 3 hrs labor and added .5 hr for the kick plates.

Last edited by guitarman; 08-05-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-05-2015 | 04:43 PM

Thanks for the info, guitarman. It is beginning to look like I may need to go that route. I will probably throw in the ground lighting at the same time, as bunching these three will save me money in labor.
Old 08-05-2015 | 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Thanks for the info, guitarman. It is beginning to look like I may need to go that route. I will probably throw in the ground lighting at the same time, as bunching these three will save me money in labor.
Well I want to get the rocker panel installed first and that is not an accessory that is in stock. Has to be ordered and my parts guy said the the regional distribution center doesn't have them either, so who knows how long it'll be..

On the subject of the interior light kit, it turns out if you want "pure white" you will need to settle for "dull white" as the LED assy they use doesn't do an impressive job of putting out lumens in the footwells.

Also, the light controller turns the footlights on once the headlights come on and stays on. This can be turned off of course. The switch for the light kit gets installed in the center console cubby which provides the extra benefit of lighting up the cubby.

The kick plates on the other hand, kicks petootie! Sharp, bright, nice...
Old 08-05-2015 | 07:41 PM

Well I want to get the rocker panel installed first and that is not an accessory that is in stock. Has to be ordered and my parts guy said the the regional distribution center doesn't have them either, so who knows how long it'll be..

I have been waiting for six weeks for my rocker panels! They were ordered on June 25th.
Old 08-05-2015 | 08:00 PM

On the subject of the interior light kit, it turns out if you want "pure white" you will need to settle for "dull white" as the LED assy they use doesn't do an impressive job of putting out lumens in the footwells.

Also, the light controller turns the footlights on once the headlights come on and stays on. This can be turned off of course. The switch for the light r kit gets installed in the center console cubby which provides the extra benefit of lighting up the cubby.

The kick plates on the other hand, kicks petootie! Sharp, bright, nice...
I can't get over how great the car looks in that color. Love mine, but if I'd seen that color in person I'd definitely have gone with Bordeaux.

How's it driving for you?
Old 08-06-2015 | 05:01 AM

I have twisties near my home that I traverse most every day and it puts a smile on my face every time. Its quiet, well planted and like the 7th gen, gave me confidence from the start.

My biggest frustration is constantly butting up against Jeeps, trucks, SUVs, civics, corollas, etc. driving like old ladies.

The CVT is definitely different in its characteristics vs previous versions. I'm not a fan of the fake shifting as that just a nod to the expectations of those who resist change or new paradigms.

For me, the 18" wheels are the best balance between performance handling and comfort. I may have thought differently 25-35 years ago, but 'we'll never know...'
Old 09-01-2015 | 09:03 AM

The latest addition

Got the rocker panels in a week after they were ordered.

So the list of add-ons are now:
- Rocker panels
- Illuminated kick panel
- Diffuser
- Interior accent lighting
- 35% tint

Last edited by guitarman; 09-01-2015 at 09:32 AM.