8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Regular or high test???

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 01:19 PM

Regular or high test???

I had a 2010 Maxima and only used regular gas in it with out a problem. If I buy a new 2016 could I do the same?
Old 07-09-2015, 01:20 PM

i believe premium is recommended but not required on the new maximas. i personally only put premium in my SR.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:55 PM

In my 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th gens, I used premium the first 18 months, then switched to midgrade after that. I was never able to measure any difference in MPG between the two, but then MPG is not tied directly to octane.

Octane can affect acceleration. The acceleration diffference between premium and midgrade could be measured with electronic instruments, but, contrary to urban myth, cannot be detected by the 'seat of the pants', because it is indeed very miniscule.

But the use of regular gas in the Maxima is a different ballgame. That is a difference that is not only measurable electronically, but CAN be detected by the 'seat of the pants' in most situations.

Nissan has told us the compression ratio of the 8th gen is higher than the 7th gen. I personally feel this eliminates any thought of even trying regular fuel in the 8th gen. After 18 months, I will still be switching to midgrade in my 8th gen, but will be measuring and watching very closely to be sure the car is running well on it. The difference in price between premium and midgrade has reached as high as 35 cents around where I live, but if I detect any difference whatever in the preformance of my 8th gen after switching to midgrade, I will be switching right back to premium.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:28 PM

Is mid grade 89?
Old 07-09-2015, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by stodge
Is mid grade 89?
Yes, midgrade is a minimum of 89 octane. As info, the Maxima fuel setup is directed at 91 octane, so 93 octane is a tad overkill, and 89 octane is a tad underkill. I have never heard a source I have any confidence in say they have ever had the slightest hint of trouble using midgrade in their Maxima. I also have never understood those folks who think the only choice is between premium and regular.

With the 2016 Maxima stepping up the compression over the 7th gen, I do hope folks here avoid using regular fuel (87 octane) in this new Maxima.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 07-09-2015 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Yes, midgrade is a minimum of 89 octane. As info, the Maxima fuel setup is directed at 91 octane, so 93 octane is a tad overkill, and 89 octane is a tad underkill. I have never heard a source I have any confidence in say they have ever had the slightest hint of trouble using midgrade in their Maxima. I also have never understood those folks who think the only choice is between premium and regular.

With the 2016 Maxima stepping up the compression over the 7th gen, I do hope folks here avoid using regular fuel (87 octane) in this new Maxima.
Higher elevations like Colorado use 85 low, 87 mid, 91 high octanes.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:17 PM

Light were are you getting the compression ratio is higher on the 8th vs the 7th per Nissan its 10.6 on the 8th as it is on the 7th. http://www.nissan.ca/vlp-assets/medi...nal_Canada.pdf

http://www.rocklandnissan.com/vehicl...USC40NIC051A0/
Old 07-09-2015, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Light were are you getting the compression ratio is higher on the 8th vs the 7th per Nissan its 10.6 on the 8th as it is on the 7th. http://www.nissan.ca/vlp-assets/medi...nal_Canada.pdf

http://www.rocklandnissan.com/vehicl...USC40NIC051A0/

MONTE - The documentation you referenced would seem to indicate that the compression ratio of the 8th gen did not change. As the 2016 was being introduced at my dealer in mid-May, one of the many brochures handed out discussed the new engine, which had 60% of the parts redesigned, and the compression raised slightly.

So, based on the two references you gave us, either the brochure was incorrect or the referenced sites have not yet been fully updated. For instance, the 2016 info says the lock-to-lock steering turns are 'yet to be determined', and the turning radius is left blank. But we have known since May that the turning radius of the 2016 Maxima is just over 38 feet (slightly wider than the 37 + feet of the 7th gen).

Based on your references, I lean to the probabliity that the compression ratio may not have changed, but we will leave this door very slightly ajar just in case the info was delayed.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:01 AM

MONTE - The documentation you referenced would seem to indicate that the compression ratio of the 8th gen did not change. As the 2016 was being introduced at my dealer in mid-May, one of the many brochures handed out discussed the new engine, which had 60% of the parts redesigned, and the compression raised slightly.

So, based on the two references you gave us, either the brochure was incorrect or the referenced sites have not yet been fully updated. For instance, the 2016 info says the lock-to-lock steering turns are 'yet to be determined', and the turning radius is left blank. But we have known since May that the turning radius of the 2016 Maxima is just over 38 feet (slightly wider than the 37 + feet of the 7th gen).

Based on your references, I lean to the probabliity that the compression ratio may not have changed, but we will leave this door very slightly ajar just in case the info was delayed.
Hey Light I'm going to bet on it being 10.6 still, all of the ones for sale state it as well. For example see below
http://www.nissanofcolumbus.com/new/...d0c17e1603.htm
http://www.middletownnissan.com/new/...758a5a4e5d.htm
Old 07-10-2015, 05:00 PM
cnp

I ran a tank on premium on my SL, then a tank on regular. While I'm not flooring it much until break-in over, I feel no difference yet. There is no unusual sound, knocking etc. Car runs great regardless. Later, I will try timing acceleration, distance to hit certain speeds using roadside cues, etc to see if I can get any difference without using professional equipment.
Interestingly, Nissan says premium "recommended", not mandatory. I believe current technology engines adjust well for the octane differences - maybe some minimal performance differences that most of us will not truly notice. Will research more.
I've run regular in both an Acura MDX and TL, both with a premium recommendation, for many years without ill effect.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Hey Light I'm going to bet on it being 10.6 still, all of the ones for sale state it as well. For example see below
http://www.nissanofcolumbus.com/new/...d0c17e1603.htm
http://www.middletownnissan.com/new/...758a5a4e5d.htm
The evidence mounts. I wish I knew where I put that early brochure. I have so much junk piled up I can never find anything. The stack of stuff I was fumbling through today had the glossy brochure for the 1999 Ford Taurus that was the loaner Ford gave my wife for five months while they reconstructed her Ford truck that had been broadsided by a Chevy Suburban that ran a red light and turned us over. We weren't able to get the driver door to open, and the passenger's door was against the ground. Had the truck caught fire, we would have been toast.

Looks like 10.60 is 'carrying the day', compression-wise.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:21 PM

In my 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th gens, I used premium the first 18 months, then switched to midgrade after that. .

Why after 18 months? What is the reasoning behind it?
Old 07-12-2015, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by WasDmater
He's very set in his ways
Old 07-13-2015, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by WasDmater

I wanted to have a very full and complete picture of exactly how the car performs with premium before changing to midgrade. After 18 months, the car is as broken in as it will ever be, and I have a firm grip as to the MPG I am getting in every driving situation. That way, I can make a very close comparison of how the car performs with each octane.

The reality is that I could make that switch much earlier, but I decided to keep the routine I initially set with my two 1985 Maximas a long time ago.

I would say that maybe I am very set in my ways, but then that would be agreeing with george again.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:25 PM

I wanted to have a very full and complete picture of exactly how the car performs with premium before changing to midgrade. After 18 months, the car is as broken in as it will ever be, and I have a firm grip as to the MPG I am getting in every driving situation. That way, I can make a very close comparison of how the car performs with each octane.

The reality is that I could make that switch much earlier, but I decided to keep the routine I initially set with my two 1985 Maximas a long time ago.

I would say that maybe I am very set in my ways, but then that would be agreeing with george again.

Thanks for the explanation, makes a lot of sense to me. I can certainly understand being set in ones ways as I am set on mine
Old 07-16-2015, 09:12 PM

Just moving this thread up near the top of the page, as it dropped down to where folks in a hurry were not seeing it and were starting new threads on exactly the same subject.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:15 PM

The owners manual says premium is recommended, so I'm using premium.