8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Daytime running lights

Old 08-30-2015, 10:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Daytime running lights

I have a 2016 maxima. does anyone know how to disable the daytime running lights. I know if I press the parking brake then start the car, the lights will not turn on until I release the parking brake. However, I want to know if there is a way to disable them while I'm driving during the day. I know the question will be asked and I just want to disable them from time to time.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:55 PM

Being from Canada where we have had mandated day time running lights for 25 years, why would you want to disable them?
Old 08-30-2015, 09:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 240tomax
Being from Canada where we have had mandated day time running lights for 25 years, why would you want to disable them?
Just cause really. I guess you don't know a way?
Old 08-31-2015, 02:50 PM

I always disliked the cheap DRL approach (by turning on the head lights at half intensity) that GM used for so many years, then we bought a 2013 Acura ILX new and it had the same crap. Found out they could be defeated by pulling a 7 amp fuse. Wonder if the Max has this on a separate circuit too? That said, I like the Max approach towards DRLs
Old 08-31-2015, 06:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by robtroxel
I always disliked the cheap DRL approach (by turning on the head lights at half intensity) that GM used for so many years, then we bought a 2013 Acura ILX new and it had the same crap. Found out they could be defeated by pulling a 7 amp fuse. Wonder if the Max has this on a separate circuit too? That said, I like the Max approach towards DRLs
I did find a ten amp fuse in the engine bay in the square black box. When that box is opened the fuses are underneath and very difficult to get to. One says DTRL for daytime running lights. Does anyone know if it'll hurt anything to pull this fuse and leave it out?
Old 09-01-2015, 11:22 AM

Thanks for sleuthing this fuse location out. What if we pull the fuse and see what happens?
Old 01-06-2016, 04:04 PM

I am interested as well, I do not like the daytime running lights. Anyone know how to disable?
Old 01-06-2016, 05:44 PM

They are there for a reason...safety! Why would you have an issue with that?
Old 01-06-2016, 06:24 PM

really,in fact I wish all vehicles had to have them.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:30 PM

Esthetics - in their eyes
Old 01-07-2016, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by 240tomax
I for one don't like DRL's. I don't have this feature on either of my two Maximas. The problem comes up when u have to replace the bulbs.On my 08 to change a bulb u have to remove the front bumper. This is not a cheap cost if u have it done. I'm not sure if the 16's require the same. I try to avoid cars with DRL.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Roymg
I for one don't like DRL's. I don't have this feature on either of my two Maximas. The problem comes up when u have to replace the bulbs.On my 08 to change a bulb u have to remove the front bumper. This is not a cheap cost if u have it done. I'm not sure if the 16's require the same. I try to avoid cars with DRL.

2016 Maxima DRL's are LED light's -(there are no bulbs) LED Light's should last many many years (10 yrs or more). I think the DRL's on the Maxima look
great.

Randy
Old 01-08-2016, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Randy
2016 Maxima DRL's are LED light's -(there are no bulbs) LED Light's should last many many years (10 yrs or more). I think the DRL's on the Maxima look
great.

Randy
Thanks,
that's good to know should I want to step up to owning my 4th Max.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:13 AM

@jc53: it is an individual preference, that is all. I know on my old Tahoe, all you had to do was push the inside light control quickly 3 times to override the DRL's. I was just wondering if there was an override for these as well.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:46 AM

While I too like the Nissan effort on the Maxima DRL's, you should be able to turn them off if you want to.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:09 PM

While I too like the Nissan effort on the Maxima DRL's, you should be able to turn them off if you want to.
While not the law of the land as of now, manufacturers are guessing that this will change and DRL's will be required on all new vehicles sold in this country, probably within the next 10 years. When this law is finally passed there will be no option of turning them off so some manufactures are not allowing this feature to be turned off now just to get ahead of the game. Just my 2 cents in what I believe is coming down the pike.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Richard66
While not the law of the land as of now, manufacturers are guessing that this will change and DRL's will be required on all new vehicles sold in this country, probably within the next 10 years. When this law is finally passed there will be no option of turning them off so some manufactures are not allowing this feature to be turned off now just to get ahead of the game. Just my 2 cents in what I believe is coming down the pike.
If I recall correctly, DRLs will be required by law on every vehicle manufactured after a certain date. I thought it was effective with the 2016 models, but it may be the 2017s. DRLs are (correctly) considered to be a safety item, and once required, by law, it will be a violation to disable them. I am not a fan of big government, but I do agree that DRLs should be mandatory. They reveal the presence of approaching vehicles in the gloom or rain or dusk that failed to turn on their lights (and there are a TON of drivers that don't seem to turn on their lights as darkness or rain falls).
Old 01-14-2016, 09:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

the DRL's are nice, and also if you don't like them go with the switchbacks.. saw a video of them and those look awesome.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
If I recall correctly, DRLs will be required by law on every vehicle manufactured after a certain date. I thought it was effective with the 2016 models, but it may be the 2017s. DRLs are (correctly) considered to be a safety item, and once required, by law, it will be a violation to disable them. I am not a fan of big government, but I do agree that DRLs should be mandatory. They reveal the presence of approaching vehicles in the gloom or rain or dusk that failed to turn on their lights (and there are a TON of drivers that don't seem to turn on their lights as darkness or rain falls).

I have been hearing about this "law" for at least 10 years. Nothing I see on the horizon over the next 2 years. I do like Nissans effort in the DRL on the Maxima. No argument on the safety aspect but you should be able to control that as an option to have them on or off as needed like when you are parked (Off)
Old 01-14-2016, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by jc53
They are there for a reason...safety! Why would you have an issue with that?

"Sorry I rear-ended you, it's because I didn't see your Daytime running lights"
That's my personal opinion on DRLs. People should train themselves in to recognizing objects and its proxmity. Not relying on lights. Just like those times I'm behind a car with no brake lights.

Citing people who do not signal, will create safer roads.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by canadianboy
the DRL's are nice, and also if you don't like them go with the switchbacks.. saw a video of them and those look awesome.
You have a link to this video you have seen?
Old 01-15-2016, 10:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by tc8510
nope, I saw it on the facebook page.. cant remember the guys name at the moment
Old 01-17-2016, 09:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have been hearing about this "law" for at least 10 years. Nothing I see on the horizon over the next 2 years. I do like Nissans effort in the DRL on the Maxima. No argument on the safety aspect but you should be able to control that as an option to have them on or off as needed like when you are parked (Off)
There is absolutely NOTHING on the horizon to mandate daytime running lights.

Toyota has chosen the proper approach. ALL 2016 Toyota's has "DRL OFF" on the light switch. If you want to drive with lights on during the daytime, you can, if you don't want to, you can turn them off. Makes everyone happy. These are true, Daytime Running Lights. What Nissan now has, and some others have, is actually called, Forced Lighting. With Forced Lighting, the driver has NO control, and is at the total mercy of the programmers in Japan / Detroit.

General Motors has petitioned the government on two separate occasions to mandate Forced Lighting (aka DRLs) in the US. In both instances, the government turned General Motors down citing NO safety evidence. Moreover, notice that most law enforcement vehicles have their Daytime Running Lights disconnected.

Far from being considered primarily as a 'safety feature', manufacturers and the motoring press are treating DRLs as a 'stylish addition' to a car, concentrating on the look of DRLs as adding character to a car rather than contributing to its safety.

A British study said that statistics about DRLs from eight European countries over a 15-year period show that road fatality rates dropped faster in non-DRL countries such as Austria, Belgium and the Netherlands than fatalities in pro-DRL countries such as Finland, Norway and Sweden. Indeed, Austria has gone as far as to BAN Daytime Running Lights.

If waiting for someone outside at night I may not want my lights on. I also like to go to drive-in movies, people react badly when you're shining lights in their eyes.

Toyota gives their drivers a choice. Sadly, Nissan does not.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Sport
I have a 2016 maxima. does anyone know how to disable the daytime running lights. I know if I press the parking brake then start the car, the lights will not turn on until I release the parking brake. However, I want to know if there is a way to disable them while I'm driving during the day. I know the question will be asked and I just want to disable them from time to time.

Did you ever find the answer to this?
Old 02-21-2016, 04:30 PM

I'm pretty sure the option is in the settings menu on the driver's display. I don't remember off the top of my head and I don't really feel like going out to check. I'll take a look tomorrow on my way to work.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Clouded
I'm pretty sure the option is in the settings menu on the driver's display. I don't remember off the top of my head and I don't really feel like going out to check. I'll take a look tomorrow on my way to work.

Good call, I didn't check mine.

I just picked up my 2016 SR. Arctic Blue/ Charcoal.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by tc8510
This is probably what you are looking for

Old 02-22-2016, 04:11 PM

^^Yuuuuuuuuup. And now we await the RGBW ones. DD said today a couple more months for the RGBW ones.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by S30ZED
Good call, I didn't check mine.

I just picked up my 2016 SR. Arctic Blue/ Charcoal.
I looked for the DRL off option, but I couldn't find it. Perhaps I'm getting confused with my old Camry, I knew there was an option for that in there.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bringing this back from the dead. Has anyone discovered a solution?
Old 06-08-2016, 05:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by PrelateHavok
Bringing this back from the dead. Has anyone discovered a solution?
Yeah, pull the DRL fuse in the fuse box under the hood, located on the drivers side.

The lights will still function as marker lights when selected on the stalk.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by S30ZED
Yeah, pull the DRL fuse in the fuse box under the hood, located on the drivers side.

The lights will still function as marker lights when selected on the stalk.
That is good news. My thanks for the assistance!

UPDATE: The mission was a success and worked as advertised; S30ZED was dead-on regarding the functionality after pulling the fuse.

Last edited by PrelateHavok; 06-09-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:09 PM

Now S30ZED, please find out a way to run the fog lights without having the headlights on, please!
Old 03-26-2017, 05:00 PM

So I saw a 2017 Rogue today, and the factory daytime running light turned off when the turn signal was activated so you can actually see the directional. Any reason the Maxima does not do this like almost every other vehicle, or at least on the 16 as far as I know? The DRL led is much brighter than the turn signal unless you swap the LED board.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:02 PM

Can someone post a picture pinpointing the exact fuse? I removed the fuse box cover under the hood and saw several fuses and relays, but none marked DRL.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:53 PM

I happen to drive directly toward a commercial building wall of ten feet high thick glass windows in two places near my home, and have also noticed the DRLs of 8th gens coming up behind me on freeways. I think the effect slightly resembles a very evil, threatning grin, and I sort of like it.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:15 AM

I found the fuse. I just had to look in the right fuse box. My car has three, one under the dash and two under the hood. The right fuse box is the big rectangular one on the driver's side. The fuses and relays are on the underside of the top of the box, with wires through the box and out the bottom. You have to pull the top up against the pull of the wires in order to see the fuses.

I pulled the fuse, started the car, and released the parking brake and the lights didn't go on, so it seemed to work. I may change my mind and re-enable them (because they do look kinda cool), but at least I know how to do it.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm looking to change the color of the DRL LEDs..... looking for a soft purple to match the powdercoat on my wheels... is it possible to change specific lights on the current LED board? what are those light sizes? I went to DD's website for the switchbacks and the bulb size isn't listed. I have read with LED's you can paint the light covers but it looks like, via the DD video, with the boomerang lights there's no vertical piece.... just the top and bottom...

Last edited by bbybrooks; 07-03-2017 at 06:27 PM.