8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2016 Maxima SL rear seating area rattle.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by unreal2k1
I am having this same issue with my 2017 Platinum that only has 2800 miles on it and I have been hearing it since the first week when I bought it on December 19th of 2016. I will look at the places people pointed out and see if I can find it. I really do not want to have to go to the dealership for this unless I have too.

Thanks
Does it go away when the rear sunshade is up?
Old 03-13-2017, 09:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2017 Platinum also (2500 miles) and have the rattling noise when i get to 70mph on the highway.

Nothing seems loose but back seat riders have told me that it is coming from the trunk. I am going back by the dealership later today and put a service department employee in the back seat and take him for a ride to help identify the issue.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

MY rattling noise is there regardless if the shade is up or down. no difference.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by slpgh
Interesting, my new SR (bought yesterday) has a clicking/creaking sound that appears to come from the driver console. Sounds like a geiger counter
Got the same problem. What did the dealer tell you
Old 03-19-2017, 03:32 PM

It seems everyone that owns an 8th gen has some sort or "rattle, clunk, creak" noise coming from the rear of their car. Glad I logged back on because my '17 SR with 800mi has the same problem and it pisses me off. Lol! I've only noticed it when it's cold (seeing how I live in WI and it's still winter time) and I get an annoying rattle coming from the back seat area but then seems to go away. Haven't taken it in yet. Just glad to know I'm not the only one.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Took the car into the dealership and had a service tech ride up and down the highway with me so he could identify the noise. He did, left the car and a few days later they reported that a pebble/rock was in the rear right (driver side) wheel well. They took it out and problem was solved.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by craig540
Took the car into the dealership and had a service tech ride up and down the highway with me so he could identify the noise. He did, left the car and a few days later they reported that a pebble/rock was in the rear right (driver side) wheel well. They took it out and problem was solved.
Thanks for the update. I could have gone 100 years without guessing that situation correctly. I still remember a strange intermittent screetch in my 1985 Maxima that finally turned out to be a pebble wedged into the front disc brake assembly
Old 05-02-2017, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by 414sfinest
It seems everyone that owns an 8th gen has some sort or "rattle, clunk, creak" noise coming from the rear of their car. Glad I logged back on because my '17 SR with 800mi has the same problem and it pisses me off. Lol! I've only noticed it when it's cold (seeing how I live in WI and it's still winter time) and I get an annoying rattle coming from the back seat area but then seems to go away. Haven't taken it in yet. Just glad to know I'm not the only one.
The roads are so bad where I live that I'd be happy owning a brand new car with just one rattle!
Old 05-06-2017, 11:34 PM
MadMax in The City

Originally Posted by spidgeon
Wanted to revive this thread. I have a rattle on the rear deck behind back seat headrests. I believe it has something to do when the rear sunshade is up. Curious if anyone else's experiencing this, and if you had this fixed?
I have my 2017 platinum with 1500 miles in and I'm also getting that annoying rattle when my bass is turned up or when I hit a bump. It appears to be the rear headliner. Doesn't matter whether the rear sunshade is open or closed. It's a little disappointing considering this is my 5th maxima. First time experiencing anything like this.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:17 PM

Angry cold weather noises are back

Reporting back that my 2016 Maxima SR did exactly as I expected when the weather in Kansas got below 55 degrees. Clunk when I go over imperfections in the road, rattles against the window when playing music with bass, and trim rattle on windy days driving in crosswinds. I'm over it and my dealership is frustrated also. Drove a 16 SR while they worked on mine and it did the same thing. Nissan techs have been called in. My patience has run out after two years.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:56 PM

Used these product
1. Sound deadening mat (butyl)
2. Closed Cell PE Foam CCF Self-adhesive Sound Deadening Material

Update:
Earlier this summer, I sound deadened my car (SR) on the back side; rear deck, trunk lid, trunk floor and rear wheel wells. With OEM Goodyear, road noise was still prevalent.
After, around 100 miles on new set of rubber (Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus)the road noise has gone but the clunk is still there when driven on small bumps and any speed.
Only things that is making me mad are those two black plastic on the body, when I tap it gives off that identical sound. And the other culprit could be the Spoiler STOP LIGHT. Again, the stop light gives the same note that I can hear inside the car.
But, when I read in this thread people are complaining for Platinum trim. Hmmmm---
Old 11-12-2017, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by jamaxin97
I have my 2017 platinum with 1500 miles in and I'm also getting that annoying rattle when my bass is turned up or when I hit a bump. It appears to be the rear headliner. Doesn't matter whether the rear sunshade is open or closed. It's a little disappointing considering this is my 5th maxima. First time experiencing anything like this.
Do you have factory spoiler?
You need to sound deaden for bass rattling, there are no other way and the dealer will not help you on this.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by marysh
Reporting back that my 2016 Maxima SR did exactly as I expected when the weather in Kansas got below 55 degrees. Clunk when I go over imperfections in the road, rattles against the window when playing music with bass, and trim rattle on windy days driving in crosswinds. I'm over it and my dealership is frustrated also. Drove a 16 SR while they worked on mine and it did the same thing. Nissan techs have been called in. My patience has run out after two years.
Same issue clunk sound from trunk, i think its 2 different issues 1 being the locking mechanism for the trunk. I think when you hit a bump its moving, second issue is probably something with rear suspension.Dealer wasn't able to find anything. I removed everything from trunk including spare tire. There are also some rods that control the opening and closing of trunk some owners of Altima's have have said that has caused their clunking sound from trunk. So annoying sometimes it does it over the smallest bump on road and not on big bumps. I'm waiting for cooler weather so I can take to dealer again, cooler weather seems to aggravate the issue.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I bought my 2017 Maxima SR Midnight Edition back in June brand new. Now that the weather has gotten a little colder (in the 40's), my car has developed the same loud rattle or clunking noise in the rear deck area. However, the noise is not audible every time. It seems to be mostly noticeable when riding over short quick bumps or cracks in the street. It's really annoying because I am constantly listening for it now too. After reading this thread, I started by checking the spare tire hand screw. It was tight. I then removed the spare tire, trunk mat, trunk board, cargo net, and everything else in the trunk and drove the car. The noise was still there. Also, I did notice that the noise seemed to get louder when I folded down the back seats. I tapped around on the back of the seats, the plastic rear panel behind the seats, and the rear deck, but was unable to duplicate the noise. I also checked to make sure the rear seat lock bolts were tight. They were. I then checked to make sure the speakers were tight. They were. I also checked the bolts on the Bose amp in the trunk. They were tight as well. The 3rd brake light on my car is in the factory rear spoiler, so that's not it either. The noise is definitely coming from the rear deck area behind the upper part of the seats, so I don't believe that suspension components are the issue. The clunking is significantly louder in colder weather which leads me to believe that it could be a plastic piece banging against metal. I guess I could try removing the rear deck and side panels and look for something there. Does anyone have a guide on how to do this? I would hate to accidentally break the plastic clips holding them in place. I'm pretty handy and I've worked on cars for over 20 years. I really don't want to take my car to the dealership for this minor but annoying issue. It will probably be the old "We can't duplicate the noise, or we can't find anything wrong." Right, because people like to waste their time bringing in their cars for service, taking time off of work, and paying for rental cars because the car doesn't have a problem. I've heard that story too many times. Unfortunately, if I can't resolve this, I might have to go that route again. I really like my Maxima, but this clunking noise is driving me nuts and it's unacceptable on a new $40,000+ car that just turned 4,000 miles.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:33 PM

Below, link is what I had used for reference. But I went an extra mile; DISCONNECT Battery, do not want to activate the airbag while looking for noise.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Gentlemen;
I believe I have solved the "rattle, thump,clunk,tap etc" noise we have been experiencing in the rear seat area.

Lower the passenger side rear seat and you will see a black plastic panel facing you held in place with a push plugs. Right behind this plastic panel you will find a metal frame of some sort...........insulate these two parts from each other(thick foam tape)and the various sounds will GO AWAY...............
MAKE SURE YOU REPLACE PUSH PLUGS WITH NEW ONES OR THE NOISES WILL RETURN
You might miss wondering what the F___ the noise is and concentrate on driving this great vehicle.

Let me know if it solves your problem.

Last edited by 2017Max; 11-20-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:16 PM

Thanks, 2017Max. I will see if it fixes mine.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rattle location

Rattle is from shock absorber mounting need some tightening
Old 11-29-2017, 08:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I spent some more time troubleshooting the source of the rattling noise last weekend. After removing the push pins, I installed some 3/8" automotive weather stripping around the perimeter of the panel in between the back seats and the frame. I also installed some 1/4" felt pads anywhere the panel makes contact with the metal frame. I buttoned everything back up and drove the car. It did not make a difference. The noise was still there. I then removed the back panel from the car completely and took it for a ride, no difference. While the seats were folded down, I thought that I pin-pointed the noise to the back seat locks. They are only held in place with two bolts, so I removed both seat locks and secured the release cables. I drove the car and the noise was still there. Unfortunately the noise sounds like it's somewhere in the rear deck under the plastic. I'm going to have to remove it to troubleshoot further. I still don't believe suspension components are causing this. It sounds like plastic creaking because it's cold.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You are correct! It is probably the deck lid in the area around the passengers seat belt retractor.
I put 1/2 inch foam tape under the front of the shelf, about to the center and both sides of the split for the seat belt on the passenger's side.
My rattle, noise, click has left me alone in silence........I think I miss the distraction.
I meant to add this to my original post but forgot...................
THERE IS A BOLT UNDER THE PASSENGERS SIDE REAR SHELF, JUST BEHIND SEAT BELT RETRACTOR , WHICH YOU CAN SEE AND REACH BY LIFTING THE FRONT OF THE REAR SHELF THAT IS CAUSING THE RATTLE OR OTHER ASSORTED NOISES.....Put foam tape or padding over bolt ..........I hope this solves the problem........It has for me!
Let me know how it works for you

Last edited by 2017Max; 12-16-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:34 PM

Rattles and assorted noises seem to plague the SR models. Probably harder suspension and harder tires to match.

Do SL, SV, S cars seem to rattle as much? My SL is graveyard quiet, even over the roughest roads. Tightest car I have ever owned, well except maybe for my '07 Altima SL.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:36 PM

Thanks for the new ideas over the last few days for the clunks and rattles! I have an appointment with my service department for Friday and will pass along these ideas. Two weeks ago Nissan tech told them there was no fix. I’ll let you know how it goes.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:33 AM

Could it be something as simple as the truck latch opener on the inside of the trunk lid. If it is not set in its proper place it might rattle.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
Rattles and assorted noises seem to plague the SR models. Probably harder suspension and harder tires to match.

Do SL, SV, S cars seem to rattle as much? My SL is graveyard quiet, even over the roughest roads. Tightest car I have ever owned, well except maybe for my '07 Altima SL.
My 17 SL has many squeaks and also rattles from one front door but that may be from when it was repaired after my accident. I have some kind of big rattle at the back over bad bumps but I haven’t investigated.

It’s definitely better than my 2012 Toyota but snot quite as good as I’d expected.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:14 PM

I have been dealing with Nissan Consumer Services for the past two weeks about the clunk coming from the back end of my 2016 SR. They reviewed my 10 service repair orders and said there wasn’t anything they could for me.
Please take your cars to the dealerships and complain and get this issue documented. Nissan might start taking notice if their dealerships start complaining that their customers aren’t happy. Service departments don’t like being told there isn’t a fix! I’m taking mine in again tomorrow for back shelf rattles and noise from the bass in the speakers. Ready to trade it in, but no dealership will want to buy it once they see all the service records! I had planned to keep this car for a long time, don’t really want anything else, but the clunk is driving me nuts!
Old 12-01-2017, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4

I have SR, same noise; clunking our small bumps (cold, warm, hot weather). Replaced my tire with softer touring tires serenity plus, still the clunking noise exists.
I also sound deadened the whole back section and wheel wells, it has suppressed the road noise but not clunking noise.
I am going to throw my towel on DYI. This is an unfixable issue, I think and I do not want to go to dealer for this fix.

Last edited by xydehead; 12-05-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:38 AM

My next step is to take Nissan to the Better Business Bureau and the Attorney General. The car depreciated the second I signed papers and drove it off the lot. It hasn’t been right since it turned cold outside and the car had 2094 miles on it. I’ve been patient to have a fix come out and it hasn’t happened. I like driving my 2006 Pathfinder more than $40000 Maxima!
Old 12-03-2017, 01:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 2016 SV started making this crunching noise from right rear seat/trunk area last month. Dealership has replaced rear sway bar end links and rear sway bar bushings but it did not resolve the problem. I went back and they took my spare tire and jack out and wanted me to drive for a day or 2 and report if the noise was gone. Unfortunately it is still there. Happens when cold outside and on quick bumps. I am taking my car back again in 2 days and will see what dealership has to say again.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:33 PM

Sway bar links, etc. are supposed to be the fix. They are not. If anyone has had their maxima in more than one time for this issue, please request to have a Nissan field engineer come out. This noise isn’t going away until Nissan is pressured to find the answer.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have just found another source of the "clunk, rattle, noise.
Lift the cover for the seat back lock on the rear shelf .Make sure the retaining ring around the lock is firmly installed.
It was an additional cause of the various noises.........
Old 12-07-2017, 09:23 PM

I just did a cross country trip from LA to NYC. And I immediately started to hear that clicking noise coming from the back seating area. The condition of the roads in NYC makes it click and cluck non stop. And one more thing I swear a god it’s due to low temperature. when car is cold it clicks. But if you drive it all day it usually goes away once it gets warmer. Anyways. I red the whole topic and I have an idea on what to do but what would be the most obvious source of the noise?

Thank you

Last edited by NisCal17; 12-07-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:59 AM

Has anyone been able to eliminate their back seat noise by having one or two passengers sit back there? Could the problem be in the lower front seat latches? Normally to install the seat you push in and down on the lower bottom of the seat, so it mechanically locks into its receiver. This is a viable point of noise if the seats are not securely locked down, however adding weight to the seat may keep these locking points (1 on each side) from rattling up and down over harsh expansion joints, etc. Just a thought.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote from Nissan Consumer Affairs, “Noise is characteristic of vehicle and does not fall under the lemon law because it is not a safety concern and no further assistance from Nissan about this noise will be provided.” How do they know it isn’t a safety concern if they don’t even know how to fix the noise!!! I am now working with the Better Business Bureau.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:06 PM

I am looking for someone from the Oklahoma area who owns a 2016 or 2017 Maxima SR or other model. If your car makes the click/clunk sound in cold weather when going over small bumps or imperfections in the road, please contact me.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by marysh
I am looking for someone from the Oklahoma area who owns a 2016 or 2017 Maxima SR or other model. If your car makes the click/clunk sound in cold weather when going over small bumps or imperfections in the road, please contact me.
I live in the Tulsa area. I own a 2017 maxima sr from Jackie Cooper Nissan. No clunk sound but a definite rattle from the rear deck. Taking it in for the third time to fix a rattle.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:24 PM

dgraham2038- thanks for responding about living in OK. I might reach out to you if I need to talk to someone in the area. Hope the dealership figures out your rattle.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys. I just want to chime in here to report the same problem with my 2016 Maxima SR, but not in cold weather but anytime and most notably during driving under bumpy road. Apparently, the noise that I could determine is coming from all the door panels and it sounds like a creaking noise rather than rattle. I had the entire drive door replaced but it will still creak under condition that you press your arm harder on the arm rest portion. My car is currently under investigation with the dealership and they have wasted 2 days without figuring out anything, so I will have to test drive with them later in order to point out the problems. Also, related to this, mine exhibits the creaking/rattle with the middle console near the cup holder. I certain that noise came from either the two pieces that attached to the that area. My deal had replaced one of them early and it did fix the problem but somehow it came back later.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rear passenger area rattle

i had the rear passenger seat lock stuffed because it rattles. This worked for a while, then the cheap plastic cap broke.Try that. I had dealer order lock and when I got car back it was worse. They never gave me a new key and I left it locked when I gave it to them, so I suspect they did nothing as usual because it was still locked when I got car back.. I will try the rear deck brake light idea. That sounds good. My next try may be I will take out that lock The lock rattles. Check it out and the metallic clicking sound is the same as I hear when I hit a bump in road. It is behind head rest.
also when changing lanes, bumps seem to initiate the rattle.

Last edited by rattledtodeath; 12-28-2017 at 02:22 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Talking Rear seat rattle trunk thump

i had the rear passenger seat lock stuffed because it rattles. This worked for a while, then the cheap plastic cap broke.Try that. I had dealer order lock and when I got car back it was worse. They never gave me a new key and I left it locked when I gave it to them, so I suspect they did nothing as usual because it was still locked when I got car back.. I will try the rear deck brake light idea. That sounds good. My next try may be I will take out that lock The lock rattles. Check it out and the metallic clicking sound is the same as I hear when I hit a bump in road.
also when changing lanes, bumps seem to initiate the rattle.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by 414sfinest
"It seems everyone that owns an 8th gen has some sort or "rattle, clunk, creak" noise coming from the rear of their car."

Not me and I have a '17SL. I usually get problems others get but in this case my car is quiet as a coffin. Drove it today in 5 degree temps, over some really bad expansion joints and only heard the tires clumping up and down. Lucky me.

Quick Reply: 2016 Maxima SL rear seating area rattle.