8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Why Does Nissan Insist on The Altima Looking So Similar To The Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by zillafreak
I have seen a few ads for the maxima. Saw 2 last night.
One is a guy that gets into a red maxima, turns it to sport mode and the maxima turns black. The other is a guy and dog in a maxima.
It seems they switched to a more digital online and print presence. I've gotten three different invitations in three different months to see the "all-new redesigned 4DSC." Additionally, there were some commercials on Youtube for the Maxima which were pretty cool. I never use commercials to gauge my purchase intent however.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:34 AM

The maxima hasn't been a 4DSC for a while. Until nissan ditches the CVT and puts a manual transmission or an auto clutch with manual paddle shifts, it isn't a sports car.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:12 PM

The maxima hasn't been a 4DSC for a while. Until nissan ditches the CVT and puts a manual transmission or an auto clutch with manual paddle shifts, it isn't a sports car.
I agree with the manual sentiment, but unfortunately fewer and fewer cars have this transmission as an option, especially if it is a luxury sports car.

How would an auto clutch with manual paddle shifts make it any more a sports car than the 7 speed cvt with manual paddle shifts that it already has?
Old 10-15-2015, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by ATDoel
I agree with the manual sentiment, but unfortunately fewer and fewer cars have this transmission as an option, especially if it is a luxury sports car.

How would an auto clutch with manual paddle shifts make it any more a sports car than the 7 speed cvt with manual paddle shifts that it already has?
Look at their website and tell me which cars do you see under "Sports cars"
http://www.nissanusa.com/#
Old 10-15-2015, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Darkwing48
Look at their website and tell me which cars do you see under "Sports cars"
http://www.nissanusa.com/#

HA! Love it....
Old 10-15-2015, 04:38 PM

Of course it's not an actual sports car, however Nissan will not ditch the 4DSC moniker. People love illusions and fantasy and they know this.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Propa Teknique
Of course it's not an actual sports car, however Nissan will not ditch the 4DSC moniker. People love illusions and fantasy and they know this.
That and "floating roof." Who are they fooling?
Old 10-15-2015, 05:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Propa Teknique
I am more interested in an executive express - and I have owned 5 top line Maximas - the 2016 Maxima Platinum is by far the best one I have owned - Sports Car /Illusion or not it's a great ride and I love having one in my life...
Old 10-15-2015, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by rbaker100
I am more interested in an executive express - and I have owned 5 top line Maximas - the 2016 Maxima Platinum is by far the best one I have owned - Sports Car /Illusion or not it's a great ride and I love having one in my life...
Exactly!!!
Old 10-16-2015, 07:15 AM

That and "floating roof." Who are they fooling?
The floating roof is a design element, Nissan isn't trying to fool anyone into thinking it's actually floating, come on now.

The car has the primary elements of a sports car: exterior sports styling, sporty interior, handling, and power. Many modern sports cars are FWD now, I'm not a fan of it personally but this isn't the muscle car era anymore. The CVT is just as sporty as any other slush box out there, not a fan of either but if you're using that to take away the "sports car" designation than you might as well take it away from all sports cars with autos. With that said I don't think it's a sports car, just like a Q50 isn't a sports car, or an IS350, or a TLX, or an E55, or a 335i.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:44 AM

With that said I don't think it's a sports car, just like a Q50 isn't a sports car, or an IS350, or a TLX, or an E55, or a 335i.
Well said and I totally agree! Executive Express - absolutely...
Old 10-16-2015, 05:19 PM

The floating roof is a design element, Nissan isn't trying to fool anyone into thinking it's actually floating, come on now.
Floating Roof Design
Originally Posted by NissanUSA
"Floating" Roof Appearance

One look at Maxima’s floating roof appearance and the aeronautical influence is clear. The A, B and C-pillars meld seamlessly into the glasswork so the roof appears to hover over the cabin, just like the canopy of a fighter jet.
Like I said, who are they fooling? I'm into fighter jets and I don't see this. It reminds me of the 6th gen rear window. I believe sports cars can have 4 doors but the best thing for the 4-Door Sports Car is to list it under Sports Car.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:04 PM

Floating Roof Design

Like I said, who are they fooling? I'm into fighter jets and I don't see this. It reminds me of the 6th gen rear window. I believe sports cars can have 4 doors but the best thing for the 4-Door Sports Car is to list it under Sports Car.
So - buy a black one - that way you won't have to deal with the floating roof - I wonder what GM was after when they introduced this in '58??

Last edited by rbaker100; 10-16-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:35 PM

Floating Roof Design

Like I said - maybe it's time for a new ride - enjoy - it's worth it...

http://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&ei=Wk0gVpHAAcebNuH6lbgN&q=1991+maxima&oq=1991+maxima&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.3..0l3j0i22i30l2.5865.13499.0.14115.12.12.0.6.6.0.195.1318.6j6.12.0....0...1c.1.64.mobile-gws-hp..0.12.784.3.boi87IKDsV8#imgrc=ii8ceHhu4pQNrM%3A
Old 11-10-2015, 05:33 AM

The car has the primary elements of a sports car: exterior sports styling, sporty interior, handling, and power. Many modern sports cars are FWD now, I'm not a fan of it personally but this isn't the muscle car era anymore. The CVT is just as sporty as any other slush box out there, not a fan of either but if you're using that to take away the "sports car" designation than you might as well take it away from all sports cars with autos. With that said I don't think it's a sports car, just like a Q50 isn't a sports car, or an IS350, or a TLX, or an E55, or a 335i.
Can you name one modern sports car that is FWD and CVT? How about one that is either?
Old 11-10-2015, 05:57 AM

It's a 4 Door "Sporty" Car
Old 11-10-2015, 07:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I decided on getting the 2016 Maxima after seeing a random Maxima in the road. The Maxima I saw wasn't even the 2016 model. I think the model sells itself guys.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by theytoldmenottogetamax
I decided on getting the 2016 Maxima after seeing a random Maxima in the road. The Maxima I saw wasn't even the 2016 model. I think the model sells itself guys.
I think the car is beautiful inside and out, I smile every time I walk up to my car and see those sculpted body panels. I hope no one ever hits it though, it's probably impossible to pull dents out of it!

I wasn't a big fan of the floating roof thing so I purchased a storm blue Max. I saw a white one the other day, dark tint, black wheels, I regret my decision now. The floating roof visibly stretches the car out with the right color combinations.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I think the car is beautiful inside and out, I smile every time I walk up to my car and see those sculpted body panels. I hope no one ever hits it though, it's probably impossible to pull dents out of it!

I wasn't a big fan of the floating roof thing so I purchased a storm blue Max. I saw a white one the other day, dark tint, black wheels, I regret my decision now. The floating roof visibly stretches the car out with the right color combinations.
Yup, I saw the youtube video with the accessories on the pearl white Maxima, instant decision on what color I'll be getting
Old 12-11-2015, 07:18 PM

Every time I go to a car wash, I get this: "Hey! Your Nissan Altima is read!"

I have a 2010 Nissan Maxima.

Thank you, Nissan!
Old 12-12-2015, 09:39 AM
LDN
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by doctorpullit
I had thoroughly been enjoying the fact that my 2016 Maxima SR looked at least a little different than any other car on the road. Now Nissan has the 2016 Altima coming out in November and, just like in previous years, it looks just like the Maxima. Not only that, now they have added an SR model for the first time to the Altima line. Why?!

From the pictures online, it looks like only people familiar with the cars would be able to discern the differences. It seems like every other car on the road nowadays is an Altima. Now when these 2016 models hit the road, I'm going to look like another Altima running around. This complaint probably seems silly to some, but to me it's bothersome. Ugh.
I can say I owned a Sentra, Altima and now upgraded to the maxima, but I totally understand what you mean with the similarities. The only thing I envy from the Altima is the rear lights, which I felt like the maxima should have more color than all red including turning signals, and also how the front looks more edgier than the maxima.
I honestly feel that the Altima would have more Nissan connect apps than the maxima but who knows