8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Manual Passenger Seat Height Adjustment For SR

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015 | 08:14 AM

Manual Passenger Seat Height Adjustment For SR

Hi I am just curious on the seat height adjustment on the passenger side for the SR model. I have looked but could not find it, unless its hidden somewhere else around the seat that I have not looked.
Old 10-07-2015 | 01:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by vrajesh123
Hi I am just curious on the seat height adjustment on the passenger side for the SR model. I have looked but could not find it, unless its hidden somewhere else around the seat that I have not looked.
Unfortunately - there is no height adjustment for the passenger seat on any model of the 2016 Maxima - definitely an oversight (cost reduction) by NISSAN - it's on my list of mods when tracks become available!
Old 10-07-2015 | 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by rbaker100
Unfortunately - there is no height adjustment for the passenger seat on any model of the 2016 Maxima - definitely an oversight (cost reduction) by NISSAN - it's on my list of mods when tracks become available!

My sentiments exactly. Would appreciate any updates if you decide to do this modification. Wonder if tracks for a 7th gen would work?
Old 10-07-2015 | 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
My sentiments exactly. Would appreciate any updates if you decide to do this modification. Wonder if tracks for a 7th gen would work?
Not sure but it's worth checking into...
Old 10-07-2015 | 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
Checked online for the 7th gen - the passenger seat did not have a height adjustment but the seat was mounted higher - NISSAN mounted the seats lower in the 8th gen to accentuate the 4DSC feel...I guess
Old 10-07-2015 | 05:49 PM

Only gens 1 and 2 had the front passenger side seat height adjustment, no Maxima since has had it. :-(
Old 10-07-2015 | 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Only gens 1 and 2 had the front passenger side seat height adjustment, no Maxima since has had it. :-(
Well - if there is a generation that needs it it's the 8th gen - too bad...
Old 04-17-2016 | 04:04 PM

Has anyone had luck in finding adapters to raise the passenger seat height? This is my only dislike on the car. I'd love to raise it up a bit.
Old 04-17-2016 | 08:00 PM

This height-challenged passenger seat has been one of my few peeves with the 2016 Maxima. Moving the seat forward seems to give a tad more height. It may be that there is a way to raise the height of the seat track. I will be interested in any 'fix' that can be found here, because that will certainly be less expensive than swapping for a taller wife.
Old 04-17-2016 | 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I will be interested in any 'fix' that can be found here, because that will certainly be less expensive than swapping for a taller wife.
Old 04-19-2016 | 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
This height-challenged passenger seat has been one of my few peeves with the 2016 Maxima.

Totally agree, shame on Nissan for setting the passenger seat so low. I am thinking of doing a DIY mod once I understand what's going on down there. If I do, I will be sure to post it as I would guess everyone has this gripe.
cheers,
willie
Old 04-19-2016 | 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by willie2323
If I do, I will be sure to post it as I would guess everyone has this gripe.
cheers,
willie
You do that and and you'll make my Christmas Card list for Christmas 2016

I've looked into this just a little bit. Not a fan of the padded seat risers. I'm hoping for a mechanical solution with the appropriate sheer rating on parts (nuts, etc).
Old 04-20-2016 | 10:35 AM

Found this for Sonata's. Assuming that they used the proper rated components it would be an easy solution that hopefully someone will offer for the Maxima.

http://www.srautoshop.com/#!seat-kit-details/cimt
Old 04-20-2016 | 10:49 AM

This is a good "find" I wonder if we would be lucky enough to have the same type of bolt threads?
Old 10-01-2016 | 01:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The Solution

I fixed this problem myself. I bought longer screws...two M10 1.25 x 50 for the front and M10 1.25 x 75 for the back. The front screws in the car are both 16mm socket or a large star bit to get off...the rear are just the star bit...sorry I do not recall what size. I did not own any star bits so I took off the front and brought it to Lowes, no problem to match it up. Then I bought washers. Again not sure the size but I believe about an inch diameter, a whole box of them. Also about 20 half inch. For the front I used about 10 large ones under the seat bracket but needed to put 3 small washers above it because otherwise the bolt wont screw tight. In the back I used 16 large washers below and 4 above. The holes for the screws in the floor of the car do not appear quite perpendicular, the front ones seem to have some forward lean. Because of this, I think there is a limit to how many washers you can use...I initially tried with more but I could not get the bolts to bite.

Anyway, I am 6'3" but I am the driver. My wife (5'6") absolutely hated the passenger seat height...but now she is quite happy!
Old 10-02-2016 | 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by duke95
I fixed this problem myself. I bought longer screws...two M10 1.25 x 50 for the front and M10 1.25 x 75 for the back. The front screws in the car are both 16mm socket or a large star bit to get off...the rear are just the star bit...sorry I do not recall what size. I did not own any star bits so I took off the front and brought it to Lowes, no problem to match it up. Then I bought washers. Again not sure the size but I believe about an inch diameter, a whole box of them. Also about 20 half inch. For the front I used about 10 large ones under the seat bracket but needed to put 3 small washers above it because otherwise the bolt wont screw tight. In the back I used 16 large washers below and 4 above. The holes for the screws in the floor of the car do not appear quite perpendicular, the front ones seem to have some forward lean. Because of this, I think there is a limit to how many washers you can use...I initially tried with more but I could not get the bolts to bite.

Anyway, I am 6'3" but I am the driver. My wife (5'6") absolutely hated the passenger seat height...but now she is quite happy!
Awesome. We found our answer. Thanks
Old 10-05-2016 | 01:03 AM

Good work! Thanks, duke65. I live three minutes from Lowes, and will be trying this when I find a few minutes not otherwise committed.
Old 10-05-2016 | 06:42 PM

Well I wonder how this shade tree engineering is going to stand up in a front end crash. Additionally will insurance companies be inclined to payout for a jury rigged seat that failed in a collision. Just things to think about folks.
Old 10-06-2016 | 06:45 AM

Just looked at the sr auto site linked above. it shows a kit for 8th gen max for currently on sale for 44.95. I'll probably go that route.
Old 10-06-2016 | 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by acamarillo
Just looked at the sr auto site linked above. it shows a kit for 8th gen max for currently on sale for 44.95. I'll probably go that route.
Let us know how it worked out after you install it.
Old 10-11-2016 | 03:00 PM

I got the kit from srautoshop. Arrived within 4 days of ordering it. Kit contains two metal blocks (about 1.25" high) with pre-drilled noles and two bolts, washers and lock washers that are installed in the rear two mounting holes. Installation is straight forward with detailed instructions. I had to do one mod. Looking at the seat from the back the mount on the left side has a pin that fits in the floor. The instructions say that the block will fit in front on the pin. It would not so I drilled a hole in the block to accommodate the pin. After that just tighten the new bolts down. It raises the seat to a normal height. Not sure it is worth $44 but probably a better solution than washers.
Old 10-11-2016 | 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by jjohn1777
I got the kit from srautoshop. Arrived within 4 days of ordering it. Kit contains two metal blocks (about 1.25" high) with pre-drilled noles and two bolts, washers and lock washers that are installed in the rear two mounting holes. Installation is straight forward with detailed instructions. I had to do one mod. Looking at the seat from the back the mount on the left side has a pin that fits in the floor. The instructions say that the block will fit in front on the pin. It would not so I drilled a hole in the block to accommodate the pin. After that just tighten the new bolts down. It raises the seat to a normal height. Not sure it is worth $44 but probably a better solution than washers.
A picture would be great. Thanks for the report. Do I understand this kit only raises the back of the seat? Not the front?
Old 10-12-2016 | 05:02 AM

At work. Will post some pics tonight. Yes only the back of the seat is raised but it seems to do the trick.
Old 10-12-2016 | 01:16 PM

As promised photos. 1st shows new passenger seat height, doesn't look higher but when you sit in it you can definitely tell. 2nd shows blocks installed. 3 is close up of left block showing pin.
Attached Thumbnails Manual Passenger Seat Height Adjustment For SR-img_0497.jpg   Manual Passenger Seat Height Adjustment For SR-img_0498.jpg   Manual Passenger Seat Height Adjustment For SR-img_0499.jpg  
Old 10-24-2016 | 08:09 PM

Installed my sr kit over the weekend. took less than 30 minutes. I turned my tubes sideways (open ends facing sides of car) and had zero problems. The set pin went right behind the tube as advertised. As ijohn said, probably not really worth the money as far as parts go, but having had to carry both my elderly parents over the weekend after the install it really made a difference for them since they didn't have to drop so far or struggle as much to get out. So in that sense worth every penny.
Old 10-25-2016 | 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by jjohn1777
thanx amigo for the description of the commercial solution (for those of us that are considering personal solutions).
cheers,
willie
Old 11-01-2016 | 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Richard66
Well I wonder how this shade tree engineering is going to stand up in a front end crash. Additionally will insurance companies be inclined to payout for a jury rigged seat that failed in a collision. Just things to think about folks.
Greetings All,
I wanted to share my thoughts/comments after examining the commercial solution, especially the pics above of the installation. Note in the pics the seat rail does not sit flat on the lift spacers when bolted in place. Without the lift spacer (stock configuration) the entire rail DOES sit flat on the floor of the vehicle. Reason being there is a protrusion on the bottom of the rail that fits nicely into a recession in the floor of the vehicle that is not accounted for in the commercial solution. Its my belief this (along with the pin mentioned above in the rail) is intentional by the manufacturer to prevent the seat from moving forward in a crash. With the commercial solution (and the washer solution), you lose both the pin and the protrusion on the seat rail as preventative measures keeping the seat stationary in a collision...so I have decided to leave well enough alone in the interest of my wifes safety in the passenger seat. YMMV.
cheers,
Willie
Old 06-23-2017 | 11:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I also installed the srauto kit...

First off, apologies that my first post here is reviving a fairly old thread.

My wife is 5'2" and felt like she was down in a well in the seat, so I didn't have much choice. For the price the SRAuto guy is charging, he definitely needs to be customizing these kits more, meaning that the one block needs to have an additional hole for the set pin. I was still able to get it to work, but it's a little awkward.

I'm really not too worried about the seat tracks not being flush against the floor. To me, that would be more of a load-carrying issue, meaning downward weight, than a crash performance issue, but then I'm not an engineer. I feel confident that the seat is as well attached as it always was, though.

The kit is ridiculously priced for what it is, but unless you can fabricate something as good yourself (and I personally like this a lot better than using washers), then it's the only game in town, and SRAuto obviously knows it.