8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Water inside headlight

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 05:53 PM

Water inside headlight

Today I noticed there was condensation build up inside one of my headlights. I took a look at the other one and found no condensation. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I get a dealership to look at it?
Old 10-07-2015, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by adamgalazka
Today I noticed there was condensation build up inside one of my headlights. I took a look at the other one and found no condensation. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I get a dealership to look at it?
Haven't experienced this on mine no. I would think you shouldn't have any condensation given that it's a pretty sealed system. Would definitely have dealer take a look.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by spidgeon
Haven't experienced this on mine no. I would think you shouldn't have any condensation given that it's a pretty sealed system. Would definitely have dealer take a look.
Totally agree - it's a NISSAN issue - dealer will replace it...
Old 10-08-2015, 01:08 AM

Must be a defect in that particular headlight assembly, or my Maxima would have had condensation also.

Wednesday October 7th was the SECOND DAY since September 20th that we have had no rain at our home (south of Atlanta). It is also only the second day we have seen the sun since September 20th. I think my car hesitated a tad before leaving the garage Wednesday, because it was so used to rain and fog and mist and heavy overcast that it thought that orange ball in the sky was the world on fire.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Must be a defect in that particular headlight assembly, or my Maxima would have had condensation also.

Wednesday October 7th was the SECOND DAY since September 20th that we have had no rain at our home (south of Atlanta). It is also only the second day we have seen the sun since September 20th. I think my car hesitated a tad before leaving the garage Wednesday, because it was so used to rain and fog and mist and heavy overcast that it thought that orange ball in the sky was the world on fire.
I am experiencing the opposite extreme. I've had my car for six weeks now and it hasn't seen any rain. We received record rainfall in the spring and now nothing measurable for a couple of months. So, I certainly can't speak to any condensation issues, but I will let you know if any occur.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:14 AM

Took the car to the dealership and the headlights is a manufacturer defect. They have to order the part and replace it.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:18 PM

sorry to bring back an old thread but i just bought mine a week ago and when i drove it home that night i found that my passenger side and both fog lights have condesation inside. Guess its gonna be a common problem. going back to the dealership!
Old 03-19-2017, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by chuemaxima
sorry to bring back an old thread but i just bought mine a week ago and when i drove it home that night i found that my passenger side and both fog lights have condesation inside. Guess its gonna be a common problem. going back to the dealership!
Actually, this is a very uncommon problem with the 8th gen Maxima. The previous such problem (that started this thread) was almost a year and a half ago, and was only one light.

Considering the rareness of this problem in the 8th gen, it really surprises me that you have THREE lights with condensation. If I were you, I would be checking EVERYTHING on the car as soon as possible. I would especially check in the bottom of the tire well in the trunk and under the front mats (although this required removing a little of the edging/molding) to be sure this car has never been flooded. No legitimate dealer would try to foist a flooded car on a customer, but there have been many new cars flooded on dealer lots in the past year, and the dealer may not have realized which of his cars may have been flooded during a very rainy night. There may be something unusual going on with your particular car. You paid for a new Maxima in perfect condition, and that is what Nissan owes you.

Please let us know what your dealer has to say about your lights with moisture inside.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by chuemaxima
good luck with the fog light condensation , ive had some in the corners ever since i got the car. As long as its not too much they wont do anything, they said its normal since the fog lights are not closed and have "vents". He just said just watch for rust on the reflective housing. haha
Old 03-20-2017, 05:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have condensation in one headlight and the fogs as well. One fog got so bad I had to remove and drain the water. It was like a 1/4" standing water inside. I went in for my 2nd oil change and pointed it out. They are going to take a look at it when they perform the recall work. I've been kind of disappointed in some of the engineering that went into this car. For the price, things should have been better.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by lilcc
I have condensation in one headlight and the fogs as well. One fog got so bad I had to remove and drain the water. It was like a 1/4" standing water inside. I went in for my 2nd oil change and pointed it out. They are going to take a look at it when they perform the recall work. I've been kind of disappointed in some of the engineering that went into this car. For the price, things should have been better.
Wow! I had not seen many 'lights with moisture' posts here on the 8th gen board, but it now looks as if chuemaxima was ahead of the game when he suggested this might be a common problem.

Maybe our warranties are only good if we keep our Maximas inside our garages when it is raining?