8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Moisture In Untouched Fog Lights

Old 10-25-2015, 05:45 PM

Moisture In Untouched Fog Lights

Has anyone who HAS NOT replaced their fog light bulbs noticed moisture or condensation behind the lenses, especially after driving in the rain?
Old 10-25-2015, 05:53 PM

Excellent question to ask.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:16 PM

I have NOT experienced any condensation in my fog lenses.

The car has been washed numerous times, it rained like hell in Texas, and I even removed them to switch out the bulbs for LEDs. Again nothing for me.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:22 PM

Thanks Bob. That's great to hear! Especially since replaced them.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by BobTX10

The car has been washed numerous times, it rained like hell in Texas, and I even removed them to switch out the bulbs for LEDs. Again nothing for me.
I'm glad it worked for you. I guess you're a better bulb installer than the rest of us.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bob - Can you send a link to the bulbs that you bought? It still could be a manufacturing problem so if you are using a different brand then maybe this will solve everyone's issue.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:49 PM

Oops let me clarify! I TRIED installing the JDM led fog lights that some people did on this forum but for some odd reason they wouldn't work. So I returned them. I bought some different fog lights this time but haven't had the time to try and install them. They are halogens but they are 5000k and look promising quality wise *crosses fingers*

Anywho even having messed with the fog light housing, no condensation has formed thus far is all I'm saying.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:54 PM

Oops let me clarify! I TRIED installing the JDM led fog lights that some people did on this forum but for some odd reason they wouldn't work. So I returned them. I bought some different fog lights this time but haven't had the time to try and install them. They are halogens but they are 5000k and look promising quality wise *crosses fingers*

Anywho even having messed with the fog light housing, no condensation has formed thus far is all I'm saying.
I haven't heard of 5000k halogens. Where did you get them and what did they cost, please. If you have an online link, that would be great.

Oh, and hurry up and get them installed and let us know how they work out.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:43 AM

A little on the expensive side. About 65 with shipping. I want to install them so bad but might have to set them aside for next week when I have the time and daylight haha.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:27 AM

A little on the expensive side. About 65 with shipping. I want to install them so bad but might have to set them aside for next week when I have the time and daylight haha.
Thank you very much. Thanks for the picture, too. Can you post the web site you used to order them?
Old 10-28-2015, 09:04 AM

http://www.lightinthebox.com/xencn-h..._p3308118.html

Code Scare7LITB gets you 7 bucks off at checkout.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:57 AM

http://www.lightinthebox.com/xencn-h..._p3308118.html

Code Scare7LITB gets you 7 bucks off at checkout.
Thank You! I'm hoping I don't have any more issues, but its nice to have a fall back plan.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:04 PM

I had moisture in my driver side headlights and had it replace today under warranty
Old 11-02-2015, 10:29 AM

Anyone else have any updates? I put the OEM bulbs back in and took off one of the vent caps. Doesn't seem to collect as much moisture and seems to go away faster.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by mpbclutch33
Anyone else have any updates? I put the OEM bulbs back in and took off one of the vent caps. Doesn't seem to collect as much moisture and seems to go away faster.
I have my first 5k oil change this Thursday. I have about 6 different things for the dealer to look at. This will be one of them. What you did with the OEM bulbs is exactly what I was planning on doing. Should vent much better with the hotter temp bulbs.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Moisture issue

I too have washed my 16 quite a few times....brushless only so far and have driven n rain on occasion and have not had this problem. I also have changed my stock bulbs to LED bulbs. I did use the stock o ring that came with the original bulbs. So far no issues with moisture.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I changed out my Fog lights bulbs today LEDs, I saw some condensation in the corners of the lenses. So this may be a factory issue, nothing to do with replacing bulbs.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:43 AM
LDN
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Max8
Has anyone who HAS NOT replaced their fog light bulbs noticed moisture or condensation behind the lenses, especially after driving in the rain?
I can tell you that while I drove my S model before totaling it, my fog light came off bumper, like the screws were loose and it was just hanging there behind the bumper, also the front bumper on the left got detached from the frame. But all was covered under Nissan, so if you have any issues they would gladly fix them for you, they had to flat out replace my light since it was damaged behind the bumper...
Old 12-16-2015, 08:34 AM

Just found this (highlighted) in the manual, page 8-27:

Old 12-16-2015, 10:49 AM

I got a call a couple days ago from Nissan Consumer Affairs and had a bunch of questions for me about my fog light moisture issues. He said to take it back to the dealer again if I have issues and demand they replace them. If they wont to give him a call and he will take care of it. Nice to have that number in your back pocket. He said they were gathering information for their engineers. Sounds like others are complaining too. I urge you to let Nissan know if you are having the same issue.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:13 PM

I have a very slight moisture build up on both fog lights on the upper corner with it being 20 below out where I am I figured something like this would happen but I'm also a tech at Nissan that gets paid to do my own warranty repairs so I'll be changing them out this summer I already changed a driver front door speaker because the sound was coming in and out. One of the benefits of being a Nissan tech and owning one
Old 01-22-2016, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Blackedoutmaxedout
I have a very slight moisture build up on both fog lights on the upper corner with it being 20 below out where I am I figured something like this would happen but I'm also a tech at Nissan that gets paid to do my own warranty repairs so I'll be changing them out this summer I already changed a driver front door speaker because the sound was coming in and out. One of the benefits of being a Nissan tech and owning one
The owner's manual states a little moisture in the fog lights is normal.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:53 PM

I have recently noticed a lot of condensation in my fog lights and I have yet to do any mods to them. I called the dealership today and they said that all of their light housings have vents in them and condensation is normal. After 30-45 minutes of being on they should clear. I said that sounded like BS and he said that if they were pooling with fluid then that would be out of the norm but a little condensation is normal.

Still I call that BS....
Old 01-23-2016, 07:32 AM

I'm beginning to believe that an occasional small amount of thin mist in these fog lights might truly be considered normal. They are designed with vents for exactly that reason. I was looking at the manual for my wife's 2012 Explorer the other day because I'm going to install new bulbs in her fog lights, and it specifically states in her manual that an occasional "fog" of condensation is normal depending on the temperature, humidity, etc. and that it will burn off when the lights are activated. It then states that the housings are vented to allow for evaporation. It did point out that if there is enough condensation that it runs down the lens or pools in the housing, then there is an issue.

There are many reports on the forum of people changing their fog light bulbs and then having condensation issues, but I'm thinking that they would have had condensation anyway. I changed mine right after I got the car. In retrospect, I wish I had waited to see if there would have been condensation before I replaced the bulbs. After I replaced them, I had some condensation in one housing that eventually cleared itself. I have driven the car in all sorts of weather in all temperature and humidity levels and have not had any further condensation. The real question is why are fog lights more prone to condensation than headlights. If the headlights can be designed to not experience condensation, you would think the fog lights could be designed that way as well.

If you are having enough condensation that it is running down the lens or pooling in the housing, I would definitely make the dealer do something because that amount of condensation is not normal.

Last edited by doctorpullit; 01-23-2016 at 07:36 AM.