8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Road Noise / Call Audio Complaints?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 05:31 PM

Road Noise / Call Audio Complaints?

Does anyone else have problems with road noise at highway speeds?

I personally thought it was a little loud and have received several complaints about the background noise on calls while driving on the highway.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:30 AM

I have not, I can speak surprisingly softly on the highway using the car's bluetooth and the other person never has any issues hearing me.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:42 AM

Not here...Car is very quiet, no issues hearing calls or complaints from anyone on the phone.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:31 AM

No complaints here either.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:32 AM

The biggest factor in road noise is of course the texture of the road surface. I've found that certain states and even some counties within states use a coarser road material, either for cost reasons or for durability. Those coarse materials make for a real road howl. And where grooved pavement is used, it ups the ante even more.

Areas where asphalt is used have super-quiet roads, but we can't have them everywhere.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:29 PM

Yes - in fact, that is my only serious gripe. I actually paid to put different tires on after only 700 miles. It helped a little, but not a lot. It does seem to be very dependant upon the different road surfaces. Several times I have been driving out of the neighborhood in the morning, and I find my self checking to see if a window is partially rolled down. Seems worse from passenger side than drivers'.

I have wondered if I have some mis-sized or mis-shapen weather stripping.

I will add that my wife's 2007 $20K Frontier has considerably less tire noise than my Maxima, with truck/SUV tires.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by gizzsdad
Yes - in fact, that is my only serious gripe. I actually paid to put different tires on after only 700 miles. It helped a little, but not a lot. It does seem to be very dependant upon the different road surfaces. Several times I have been driving out of the neighborhood in the morning, and I find my self checking to see if a window is partially rolled down. Seems worse from passenger side than drivers'.

Do you have an SR?

SR has more road noise for obvious reasons.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by akin_t
Do you have an SR?

No - Platinum.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by akin_t
Do you have an SR?

I do have an SR. I noticed yesterday that if I cover the overhead mics near the driver and passenger side windows the call quality improved (according to the person on the other side).

Last edited by denormalize; 11-13-2015 at 05:23 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:26 AM

Go back to the dealership you bought your Max from and ask to drive one of their Maxs to see if it has the same noise issue. They shouldn't mind helping you out and if they do, you need to find another dealership to give your business to...
Old 11-14-2015, 05:15 AM

Try turning off the active noise cancellation and see what happens. It may be a problem with that.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:35 AM

Guess the noise issue is relative to the road surface. Compared to our 2013 ILX Tech, the Maxima is very quiet, like night and day!. If you need to do something, try some insulation under the back seat and trunk area. I have used FatMat with great results in the Acura. Reasonably priced. There are other types I'm sure you will hear about right here.

http://www.fatmat.com/
Old 11-16-2015, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by kaulana47
Try turning off the active noise cancellation and see what happens. It may be a problem with that.
How do you turn it off?
Old 11-16-2015, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by gizzsdad

I will add that my wife's 2007 $20K Frontier has considerably less tire noise than my Maxima, with truck/SUV tires.
I have the same exact problem but on my drivers side. I feel like the window is cracked but it isn't. Very annoying sometimes. Everybody from the mic says they can hear me loud and ridiculously clear so thank god the wind noise is not affecting anything.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by BobTX10
I have the same exact problem but on my drivers side. I feel like the window is cracked but it isn't. Very annoying sometimes. Everybody from the mic says they can hear me loud and ridiculously clear so thank god the wind noise is not affecting anything.
Same sound here, it sounds like a window is cracked open.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:16 AM

How do you turn it off?
Don't know if there is a way within the head unit itself. From an Infinity forum, they said there is no way to turn off (but this is in an infinity). They also said it is not active if a door is open. They suggested, leaving a door closed but ajar so as to keep it off.
The other potential option is to find the fuse for the head unit and remove it. Since the ANC runs through the speakers, cutting power to the amp would kill the ANC.

Best of luck

Disclaimer: I'm not a mechanic and far from it. Do not remove fuses unless I are sure it is safe.

Last edited by kaulana47; 11-18-2015 at 03:31 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:36 PM

From another user on another thread:

I hear you can turn of the ANC by
1) turning off audio system,
2) hold down the menu button and turn the volume button.

This brings up the secret menu where you can disable it.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the same issue but mine also sounds like the doors are opened a little.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:51 PM

Totally a road surface issue for me. Normal Georgia road? Cannot carry on a conversation with my wife two feet away. Freshly laid asphault? My wife and I can carry on a conversation by whispering.