8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Dealer will not install Winters without TPMS!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 09:31 AM

Dealer will not install Winters without TPMS!

So apparently on all the 2016s including the Maxima, the dealer will NOT install rims and tires without the TPMS.

The reasoning being that the ABS and the TPMS electronics and tire speed etc etc cannot be guaranteed. Unlike the past the TPMS system is required and its just no simply "living with the light" on scenario.

Anyone have comments or know what the situation is?
Old 11-18-2015, 10:04 AM

I say go down the road to a tire shop and get it done, dealer just trying to make more money off of you.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:12 AM

Thanks for the advice...I've done a lot of business at the dealership and know the guys and gals fairly well... I sense they are a little confused as well. Showed me the Nissan Canada letter which states that due to the ABS/electronic/TPMS whatever system, that TPMS must be installed on all 2016 Rogues, Maximas and Murano's.

Has something changed in respect to their electronics or system which would affect the ABS system if I did not install them? Is it a safety concern, or as you mentioned above trying to get another $400 out of me?

That's my only worry.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:18 AM

Now in no way am I claiming to be some kind of TPMS sensor guru, but as fas I know they aren't connected to the ABS system in any way, they just monitor tire pressure.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:26 AM

I'll find out in a couple of weeks.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:47 PM

A Rim is just one part of the WHEEL.
The legal issue is that a dealer cannot bypass any of the integrated electronics. Tire Rack sells the TPMS sensors and I think it is money well spent to include them as part of the winter tire package.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:16 PM

the Technology has change a lot since TPMS came to the scene back the post Firestone/Ford Explorer tire blow out, which came to be mandatory on cars after 2005, which monitor the tire pressure, now fast forward, TPMS has evolved more than just tire pressure, since they are working in conjunction with the ABS, TCS among other things that affect the rotational speed of the vehicle. Unfortunately yes, the dealer and some places going to tell you that they have to have TPMS install in your new RIM or whatever the case you're trying to do because, newer car going throw engine check light without that TPMS. I had a customer who had put an aftermarket tires with different size tires threw engine light code, and it had something with the tranny and the tpms saying it does not match the rotational speed as well with the ECM reading.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Scott1243
So apparently on all the 2016s including the Maxima, the dealer will NOT install rims and tires without the TPMS.

The reasoning being that the ABS and the TPMS electronics and tire speed etc etc cannot be guaranteed. Unlike the past the TPMS system is required and its just no simply "living with the light" on scenario.

Anyone have comments or know what the situation is?
Why don't you want the TPMS sensors? Is it strictly a cost issue?
Old 11-18-2015, 03:22 PM

All good, installed without them for now. Yes cost was a bit of an issue...$110 Canadian ($80US) per TPMS from the dealer, aftermarket obviously a little cheaper but winter going to be closing in on us and wanted to get them done before the rush on the next week or so. Spoke to the Service Manager and he said that Nissan Canada is recommending them, but ultimately he said it was my choice.

Funny thing is, no problem whatsoever and the warning hasn't come on yet and I have been driving all afternoon.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:41 AM

I changed mine on Sunday. First two trips, less than 2 miles, no light. Next trip, 10 miles light came on and has come on on every trip since.

No issues.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:28 AM

When I put bought snow tires on my 2014 Maxima through Tire Rack, a warning came up saying it was against Federal regulations for a tire dealer to install non-TPMS tires on a car that came from the factory with a TPMS system.

I ordered without the TPMS system, as the aftermarket systems did not have good reviews. I install the snow tires/wheels myself. When the time comes for replacement tires, I will simply take them to my local tire shop, while they are not installed on the car. If they refuse to put on without TPMS, I will simply go elsewhere and say they are for my Mustang.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I Hope this Helps

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/...NEWS/311239995
Old 12-07-2015, 08:13 AM

^^^^ very interesting link -- thanks for sharing!!
Old 01-15-2016, 05:50 PM
Bad *** Newb

Another govt scam. They won't arrest ford executives, so they want to screw the consumer.

If idiots drive until their engines blow up with a cel/oil light on, then they'll drive on a flat until it blows with another light on.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
the Technology has change a lot since TPMS came to the scene back the post Firestone/Ford Explorer tire blow out, which came to be mandatory on cars after 2005, which monitor the tire pressure, now fast forward, TPMS has evolved more than just tire pressure, since they are working in conjunction with the ABS, TCS among other things that affect the rotational speed of the vehicle. Unfortunately yes, the dealer and some places going to tell you that they have to have TPMS install in your new RIM or whatever the case you're trying to do because, newer car going throw engine check light without that TPMS. I had a customer who had put an aftermarket tires with different size tires threw engine light code, and it had something with the tranny and the tpms saying it does not match the rotational speed as well with the ECM reading.
Try driving your car on just the RIM. You need whole WHEEL of which the RIM is just one part of.