8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Opening Trunk and Gas cover without key fob

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 11:46 AM

Opening Trunk and Gas cover without key fob

Hello,

First time poster here. I just found out that the trunk and gas cover can be opened when the car is unlocked, even when the key fob is not in the vicinity. Any issues or opinions by others?

Thanks
Old 12-31-2015, 11:48 AM

btw. I have the sr model
Old 12-31-2015, 11:58 AM

Makes sense to me. If it's unlocked, it's unlocked.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:08 PM

I have a 7th gen and if the car is unlocked and you can open the trunk from the outside without the key fob being in the vicinity there is a problem. If the car is unlocked then the gas cap door is also unlocked, normal operation. The only way for me to get the trunk open without a key fob is to push the trunk unlock button on the dash. I would think that the 8th gen cars would work the same.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by BlakMaxiJoey
Hello,

First time poster here. I just found out that the trunk and gas cover can be opened when the car is unlocked, even when the key fob is not in the vicinity. Any issues or opinions by others?

Thanks
There is no external latch or button to open the trunk. You either use the fob or the switch inside the car. The gas tank cover locks and unlocks with the doors.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by doctorpullit
There is no external latch or button to open the trunk. You either use the fob or the switch inside the car. The gas tank cover locks and unlocks with the doors.
Mine has an external button -

Old 12-31-2015, 04:57 PM

With all the doors unlocked and no key fob near, both the gas lid is unlocked and the trunk button is activated.

Ideally, I'd like the gas lid to be tied to a control switch inside the car.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:50 PM

previous gens (and my previous car, 13 Altima) requires the key fob in the vicinity of the trunk, and gas cover (except my altima)... and the dealer said it is ok and normal. but I do not like that. someone could jack my trunk stuff. it could happen.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:34 PM

previous gens (and my previous car, 13 Altima) requires the key fob in the vicinity of the trunk, and gas cover (except my altima)... and the dealer said it is ok and normal. but I do not like that. someone could jack my trunk stuff. it could happen.

Solution: LOCK YOUR CAR!
Old 12-31-2015, 09:41 PM

If you can open your trunk without the FOB being in the vicinity of the trunk then there is a breakdown of security somewhere. Picture this - you buy something and approaching your car you unlock it and this opens your trunk. you place the items in the trunk, close it and move to get in the car and in a pair of seconds someone comes up behind you opens the trunk because the car in unlocked and steals your stuff. With my 7th gen that can't happen as you need the key fob to be in the near vicinity of the trunk to open the lid. That is what the OP was inquiring about, if he is sitting in the front seat and the car is unlocked anyone can open his trunk without his knowledge and steal anything they want.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:41 PM

I just checked my 2015 Mustang which is now winter stored in the garage unlocked. The trunk opens without the FOB. So same thing as the Max.

Notwithstanding this "open" trunk issue, what really blows in this Maxima is the fact that it doesn't auto lock the doors until it gets going faster than most parking lots speeds allow. This is my wife's DD and I was really pissed to find that I could not change this so the BCM locks the doors as soon as it gets shifted into gear. Or can this be changed?
Old 01-01-2016, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by spidgeon

Always trying to show me up Spidgeon. lol
Shows how much I know. I've had the car 4 months and didn't realize there was a button there. Shows you how often I open the trunk.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:56 AM

thanks everyone for your replies. i hope this gets solved by nissan as a security update on our cars. like they say, if more people talk about it, it will get their attention. especially if it comes from their loyal owners. but for now, all i can do is turn off the external lock option - which disables the door and trunk unlock button, but not the gas door (only through the key fob).

Last edited by BlakMaxiJoey; 01-01-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:03 AM

In my opinion there is no problem. It works just as it should.

When you first get in the car (and all the doors are closed), push the lock button on the inside of the door. The car is now locked. With the FOB inside the car and the door locked, the trunk will not open from the outside. And neither will the doors or the gas door.

When you get out of the car, lock it.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:21 AM

It was the same with my Mercedes C250. If the car was unlocked, you could walk up and open the trunk without a key fob. The only security issue would be you not keeping your car locked in the first place.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:32 AM

It was the same with my Mercedes C250. If the car was unlocked, you could walk up and open the trunk without a key fob. The only security issue would be you not keeping your car locked in the first place.
Thank you doctor!
Old 01-01-2016, 09:49 AM

FYI, i do lock my car right when i close the door.
My point here is when the car is unlocked.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:58 AM

There is a difference in how the trunk lid is opened by using the lid opener on the rear of the car. The use of the intelligent key is not required in 8th gen now if the car is unlocked. See below from both owners manuals.

8th Gen.
Opening the trunk lid 1. Push the trunk opener request switch A for more than 1 second while carrying the Intelligent Key with you. If all doors are already unlocked, opening the trunk does NOT require an Intelligent Key to be in range of the trunk opener request switch or rear of the vehicle.

7th GEN
Opening the trunk lid 1. Push the trunk opener request switch A for more than 1 second while carrying the Intelligent Key with you. 2. The trunk will unlatch. A chime will sound 4 times. 3. Raise the trunk lid to open the trunk
Old 01-01-2016, 12:20 PM

Talking

Always trying to show me up Spidgeon. lol
Shows how much I know. I've had the car 4 months and didn't realize there was a button there. Shows you how often I open the trunk.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:18 PM

thanks Richard66 for that clarification.
now i am trying to scan through the manual looking for more changes made...

kudos to everyone!
Old 01-01-2016, 11:01 PM

thanks everyone for your replies. i hope this gets solved by nissan as a security update on our cars. like they say, if more people talk about it, it will get their attention. especially if it comes from their loyal owners. but for now, all i can do is turn off the external lock option - which disables the door and trunk unlock button, but not the gas door (only through the key fob).
I decided to go try this security issue out myself. If you only unlock one door (driver or passenger front door) the trunk cannot be opened (key fob out of range). it seems the open trunk option only works if all doors are open. this maintains your ability to get into the car without anyone being able to access the car at all (other than to open your gas door and admire your gas cap:-))

hope this helps..
Old 01-02-2016, 07:27 AM

after posting this thread, and reading all the replies that i eneded up reading the manual looking for things i was unaware of and curious about. then played with the car functions.

this might be a new thread, but does anyone know how to turn off the auto open of all door locks when shifting to park? (i may have missed it in the manual, if it is there...)

thanks
Old 01-02-2016, 07:57 AM

I respectfully think there is no problem. I like the way it works now.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:49 AM

after posting this thread, and reading all the replies that i eneded up reading the manual looking for things i was unaware of and curious about. then played with the car functions.

this might be a new thread, but does anyone know how to turn off the auto open of all door locks when shifting to park? (i may have missed it in the manual, if it is there...)

thanks
last i checked, mine doesn't unlock until I turn the car off. shifting to park doesn't unlock my doors.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by bottomline2000
last i checked, mine doesn't unlock until I turn the car off. shifting to park doesn't unlock my doors.
is that so? then, i need to find that setting...

unless someone already knows where
Old 01-03-2016, 06:33 AM

Ridiculous Issue

If the car is unlocked what about the trunk release inside the car?

I agree with a previous post "LOCK THE CAR". I don't leave mine unlocked.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by spidgeon

why does that key fob in the pic not have remote start sign on it,if it belongs to the platinum model?
Old 01-03-2016, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Richard66
That is what the OP was inquiring about, if he is sitting in the front seat and the car is unlocked anyone can open his trunk without his knowledge and steal anything they want.
If someone opens up your trunk and you're sitting in the front seat and you don't notice, then there's something wrong with the driver.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by mnmsnowbeast
why does that key fob in the pic not have remote start sign on it,if it belongs to the platinum model?
I couldn't find a pic online of the 8th gen when I went to post...I think that's the Altima, lol. Concept is the same tho.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Blasterguy
I just checked my 2015 Mustang which is now winter stored in the garage unlocked. The trunk opens without the FOB. So same thing as the Max.

Notwithstanding this "open" trunk issue, what really blows in this Maxima is the fact that it doesn't auto lock the doors until it gets going faster than most parking lots speeds allow. This is my wife's DD and I was really pissed to find that I could not change this so the BCM locks the doors as soon as it gets shifted into gear. Or can this be changed?
I don't know whether this can be changed, but the 2016 Maxima locks the doors when speed reaches 17 MPH, just as the 7th gen did. I automatically push the button to lock all doors within one second of closing the door. As fast as I may be, I usually find my wife has already pushed the lock button even BEFORE one second elapsed after the door closes. We have always done that. It is a mean world out there.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:29 AM

why does anyone need a faster auto lock than 15-17 seconds anyways.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by bottomline2000
Same here.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Max8
Same here.
ok, then i really need to find that setting.. or make the dealer change it.

thanks guys for the helpful replies.