8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Latest review

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 11:45 AM

Latest review

Latest review that I have seen. Overall pretty positive, with a few quibbles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW5K...ature=youtu.be

My two biggest gripes with the review: 1) When the snarky mechanic and the reviewer have the car on the lift and talk about rust through issues. I'm on my 5th Maxima, with hundreds of thousands of miles, for as many as six years, and have experienced no rust through. That issue, to the best of my knowledge, was confined to 3rd gen Altimas. My son just traded a 2002 with over 150K miles and no rust through. 2) Whining about the lack of a manual option. Nissan used to make them (I bought 3!), and stopped because nobody, NOBODY bought them and the dealers got tired of having them rammed down their throats. The fact that a few dozen babies on a website want them back does not make for a good business decision.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:07 PM

This know it all acting as a mechanic is full of pre conceived notions about the car. I did hear of a 2003 Altima with rusted out floorboards but that was an Illinois car that sat out in the winter.

The reviewer has the essence of why the Max is noticed. Not a cookie cutter look such as you see on the Accord and the Camry. I have to look hard to figure which model it is since they seem so alike.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
I did hear of a 2003 Altima with rusted out floorboards but that was an Illinois car that sat out in the winter.
Make that two. I had a 2003 Altima that rusted out a hole in the floorboard right under the driver's floor mat after about 100,000 miles.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by gizzsdad

My two biggest gripes with the review: 1) When the snarky mechanic and the reviewer have the car on the lift and talk about rust through issues. I'm on my 5th Maxima, with hundreds of thousands of miles, for as many as six years, and have experienced no rust through. That issue, to the best of my knowledge, was confined to 3rd gen Altimas. My son just traded a 2002 with over 150K miles and no rust through. 2) Whining about the lack of a manual option. Nissan used to make them (I bought 3!), and stopped because nobody, NOBODY bought them and the dealers got tired of having them rammed down their throats. The fact that a few dozen babies on a website want them back does not make for a good business decision.

Excellent catch gizzdad. I agree with your gripes. That mechanic was about ten or fifteen years behind in almost every opinion. He is also the type who 'knows' things are not good or desirable without bothering to check or try them out. I have owned nothing but Maximas since October 1984, having driven two of them over 200K miles each, and never saw the first hint of rust anywhere. Of course living in middle Georgia might be the reason I never saw rust.

I liked the guy test driving the car. I happen to like the subtle diamond pattern overlaying the wood trim on the Platinum, but understand that is purely a matter of opinion and preference. Other than that, I think I agree with everything else he said, although I am not as bothered as he was with the fake shifting Nissan put in this CVT. But then I am not driving my Maxima in high performance mode like he was.

Just a very nice overall review, in my opinion.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:23 AM

Mechanic aside, I like the format of the video. He gives a good sense of actually driving it yourself, if that makes any sense.

Edit: hello Mr. Hill! Been a long time.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by AlDente67
Mechanic aside, I like the format of the video. He gives a good sense of actually driving it yourself, if that makes any sense.

Good to be missed. I try to get here every day, but I'm usually at our other property trying to get it ready for market, as well as get the property around our new home shipshape, so there just isn't enough time to sit down at a PC. New windows installed last week. Rebuilt downspouts to better control water. Bought new mattresses, box springs and linen last night, and they arrive Thursday. Need to reclean the seven acre yard at the old property this week.

You know things are really busy when I tell you I haven't had time to wash my beautiful 2016 brilliant silver Platinum Maxima with black diffuser panel, interior lighting package, ground lighting, etc, since I bought it in September, nor clean the new garage in which it sits. Only 1300 trouble-free miles in almost four months. It probably thinks I don't love it. But the truth is that I absolutely adore it, and there will come a time it realizes this.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 01-05-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by AlDente67

Well said....other than the mechanic I thought it was pretty balanced review as well.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I liked the guy test driving the car. I happen to like the subtle diamond pattern overlaying the wood trim on the Platinum, but understand that is purely a matter of opinion and preference. Other than that, I think I agree with everything else he said, although I am not as bothered as he was with the fake shifting Nissan put in this CVT. But then I am not driving my Maxima in high performance mode like he was.

Just a very nice overall review, in my opinion.
I wish they offered the platinum without the faux wood trim, but its not that bad. I'm probably going to end up in a platinum at some point soon- had to put new tires on my 7th gen- figure i can use it to negotiate at the dealer since i did the OEM sport package goodyears...also means i can drive the car another year and not have any issues if the dealers don't offer me what id like to get.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by gizzsdad

the link you have to u-tube shows one of the 2016 maxima in Saudi Arabia running 254kph in mph 158.7 so how are they able to get by the speed limited tranny,unless w/traction control off it has more top speed than w/it on,my platinum topped out at 134 mph gps,but I did have reg 87 octane in it,and had tc on.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:55 PM

At around the 4:40 mark..... Is the rear really camber and toe adjustable?! I need Eibachs ASAP and that would be great if it was.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:30 AM

Another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zq2...ature=youtu.be