8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

What would you change in the new Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016 | 02:39 PM

What would you change in the new Maxima

New to the forum, and proud owner of a Platinum. Thanks to all who started and maintain this site.

I think Nissan did an awesome job with the new Maxima. Have had mine since June, and overall I am very happy with it.

As with all vehicles, there are annoyances and things that should be either removed or modified. My wish list:

Make the car larger by 4 inches with a wider interior if it is truly wants to be full size. It is marketed as a full size car, but is clearly midsize. Trunk and back seat space are lacking compared to other full size cars in the market.

Make the passenger seat 8 way power, or at least give it the ability to raise and lower.

Auto retracting side mirrors (not a necessity, but I think its cool and other cars in its segment have that feature).

Better interior lighting. In particular, lights in center console storage bin and the slot that houses the USB ports.

Ability to access the phone book while the car is moving as the voice recognition can be hit or miss.

Heated rear seats. Again, not really a necessity, but other cars in the same segment offer it (for less money).

Re engineer Nissan Connect app. Initially very frustrating to use, but has gotten better with upgrades. But still not acceptable to charge for a product that does not always work.

Add more apps. Not really a deal breaker for me, but in keeping up with other manufactures, Nissan may have to step up its game.

Overall, Nissan did a great job with this car. Ive been stopped many times by people with questions about the car and comments about its beauty.

My wife just test drove a 2016 Malibu (she has a 2015), and 2016 Honda Accord Touring, and says the Maxima looks better inside and out.

Hope you all are enjoying the new Maxima. Please feel free to add to the wish list.
Old 01-06-2016 | 03:46 PM

Wouldn't that add about 6-8 more grand to the price? Oooooouch.
Old 01-06-2016 | 04:03 PM

Hmmm....Hadn't thought about that. But other cars offer a lot of those amenities and cost less than the Maxima (Kia Cadenza/Optima, Hyundai, Chevy Impala).
Old 01-06-2016 | 06:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i'm was really keen on getting the new maxima. i was ready to pull the trigger on a platinum but look at all the misc. problems and a recall already.

Nissan needs to step their game up in the quality department.

holding off for now.
Old 01-06-2016 | 07:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Reduce weight
Conventional auto with at least 6 speeds
Limited slip diff
Smaller displacement engine with DI and forced induction
Move assembly back to Japan!!!
Redesign the rear to not look like an Avalon.
Old 01-06-2016 | 07:42 PM

rear wheel drive !!!!!!!!
Old 01-06-2016 | 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Maximam
Reduce weight
Limited slip diff
Redesign the rear to not look like an Avalon.
I agree and add change that front end some, I agree in your signature about the 03 being the best. I have had/rented for work/driven all gens and that one to me just had the best of all worlds; the 3.5, good interior, good handling, well made etc. The 8th gen will not have the 3.5 for its whole product cycle, hopefully it will get a version of the 3.0TT going into the Q50 with a traditional tranny. Had an 8th gen for work when I was in Portland last week, it suffered from that shutter in the tranny, and that rear deck rattle with only 1,700 miles on it.
Old 01-07-2016 | 05:49 AM

The one complaint that seems to bug me more so than others is the fact that if the car is running and I open the door to get out and check the mail or something and don't turn the car off the seat does not retract. It stays in the "driving" position and I have a hard time getting in an out with the seat so far up. My wife's car retracts the seat all the way back when the door is opened and the car is running and it's so much easier. Other than that I love my Maxima. All of my other gripes are minimal.
Old 01-07-2016 | 05:52 AM

Access to the trunk is horrible.
The covering over the dashboard [ above the steering wheel ] readouts looks like an add on and cheap.
The extra redundant controls below the armrest are just clutter.
Had to buy a new cell phone because it was not compatible even though it worked with my 2015 Altima.

Last edited by mrgooch; 01-07-2016 at 05:56 AM.
Old 01-07-2016 | 06:56 AM

- Auto dimming side mirrors

- Auto retracting Steering Wheel and Seats (standard)

- Auto retracting side mirrors

- A more technologically advanced lighting system (auto high beams etc), no use of Halogens anywhere

- Revised suspension on SR (horrible)

- AWD
Old 01-07-2016 | 07:03 AM

Reduce weight
Limited slip diff
Redesign the rear to not look like an Altima.
Fixed it for you.

Old 01-07-2016 | 07:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mrgooch
Access to the trunk is horrible.
The covering over the dashboard [ above the steering wheel ] readouts looks like an add on and cheap.
The extra redundant controls below the armrest are just clutter.
Had to buy a new cell phone because it was not compatible even though it worked with my 2015 Altima.
that cover over the dash was the first thing i noticed and i thought it did not fit the rest of the car. everything else is beautiful but this was just ugly as hell.
Old 01-07-2016 | 08:08 AM

Auto up/down rear windows.

Non-intruding trunk hinges.

My rear view mirror and driver's mirror are auto dimming. I hate steering wheel/seat retraction and disable them on every car that has had them.

Overall I love my new Maxima, the best of my five, by far. Especially like the exterior.
Old 01-07-2016 | 09:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

1)Heated steering wheel on platinum does not warm the steering wheel evenly. The perforated leather wrapped area doesn't get heated at all. On freezing days holding top of wheel or the flattened bottom is the only option till the perforated leather warms up naturally due to car heat.
2) navigation map graphics are bit tacky with traffic info on. Font us messy and display cluttered.
3) carpeted flooring and OEM floor mats are very cheap quality. Atleast get them up to toyota /honda standards if not luxury levels
4) an extra 12 v outlet near cellphone holder.
5) power folding outside mirrors.
Old 01-07-2016 | 09:26 AM

1. Conventional 7 speed automatic transmission or 6 spd manual
2. Quieter sunroof when opened while cruising
3. Lower arm console between driver and passenger
Old 01-07-2016 | 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by jinzen
- Auto dimming side mirrors

- Auto retracting Steering Wheel and Seats (standard)

- A more technologically advanced lighting system (auto high beams etc), no use of Halogens anywhere

- Revised suspension on SR (horrible)

- AWD
Maxima will never get AWD so I was told. Would cannibalize sales of the Infiniti Q50, would be nice though. I agree with the lighting also. Halogen fog lights sort of ruins the look (my opinion).
Old 01-07-2016 | 10:49 AM

if I could find a way,disconnect speed limit control on tran.
Old 01-07-2016 | 01:20 PM

manual tranny at least on SR trim, DSG auto for the rest
Old 01-07-2016 | 01:59 PM

man if you guys have all these *****es,why did you buy one,i got the platinum,and it drives awesome,no rattles,no air leaks,tranny shifts perfect,25-31 milage just what it is suppose to get,has 1700 miles now,and the only thing I would change would be the speed limit,if it even has one,i just watched a bunch of 16 tester cars from arab land,and one of them went 254 kph which is 158 mph,how is that possible,do they get some other version than we got. I guess if I did have a concern,sense I live in maine,and we have snow and sloopy conditions,than awd would be nice.
Old 01-07-2016 | 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by mnmsnowbeast
man if you guys have all these *****es,why did you buy one,i got the platinum,and it drives awesome,no rattles,no air leaks,tranny shifts perfect,25-31 milage just what it is suppose to get,has 1700 miles now,and the only thing I would change would be the speed limit,if it even has one,i just watched a bunch of 16 tester cars from arab land,and one of them went 254 kph which is 158 mph,how is that possible,do they get some other version than we got. I guess if I did have a concern,sense I live in maine,and we have snow and sloopy conditions,than awd would be nice.

k

___
Old 01-07-2016 | 02:40 PM

Have no problem with my Maxima. It is a beautiful car in my opinion, and does what I need it to do (most of the time....phone connection issues). Just would like to see little tweaks made for the 9th generation. AWD would be awesome (but more than likely never happen)! The Maxima is comparable to every car in its price range (Platinum) from what Ive seen (test driven quite a few cars). They all pretty much come with the same amenities only packaged differently. I feel Ive gotten good value for my money. 7 Months and 9500 miles in, and have had no mechanical issues.
Put 165,000 miles on my 09, and had no issues either (could have easily made 200,000). Time will tell with the new generation Maxima...
Old 01-07-2016 | 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by gerardamorris
Maxima will never get AWD so I was told. Would cannibalize sales of the Infiniti Q50, would be nice though. I agree with the lighting also. Halogen fog lights sort of ruins the look (my opinion).
I don't think Nissan cares about cannibalization, or at least for Infinti. Or else they would not have given the Altima a 3.5 Liter option and a 109.3 inch wheels base. Its lack of 30hp gives you 2 more Hwy MPG though.
Old 01-07-2016 | 07:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Darkwing48
I don't think Nissan cares about cannibalization, or at least for Infinti. Or else they would not have given the Altima a 3.5 Liter option and a 109.3 inch wheels base. Its lack of 30hp gives you 2 more Hwy MPG though.
AND the Altima is just as quick!
Old 01-08-2016 | 05:24 AM

Brembos for the SR! That's the one thing I wish I had. Not that I'm exactly tracking the car, but they're appealing to the eye too.
Old 01-08-2016 | 10:26 AM

AND the Altima is just as quick!
the altima is just as quick as the 2016 max? To what length of the race is the altima still with the new max,the 16 max runs the 0-60 in as quick as 6.4 some are a tick slower,but that all depends on launch,heat,tires etc. i have now wittnessed the new max running up to 254 kph or 158 mph,i dont think any year stock altima is this quick or fast,i may be wrong,so i would like see the twa 16's line up.Well,I just looked up Nissens owne 0-60 and quarter mile times,the 16 max is 5.7 at 0-60 and 14.3 1/4 mile,the newest Altima was 2013 7.3 0-60 and 1/4 was 15.5 they had no data for the 16 Altima yet,but later on this year they will,now that was both 3.5 motors.

Last edited by mnmsnowbeast; 01-08-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-08-2016 | 04:05 PM

the altima is just as quick as the 2016 max? To what length of the race is the altima still with the new max,the 16 max runs the 0-60 in as quick as 6.4 some are a tick slower,but that all depends on launch,heat,tires etc. i have now wittnessed the new max running up to 254 kph or 158 mph,i dont think any year stock altima is this quick or fast,i may be wrong,so i would like see the twa 16's line up.Well,I just looked up Nissens owne 0-60 and quarter mile times,the 16 max is 5.7 at 0-60 and 14.3 1/4 mile,the newest Altima was 2013 7.3 0-60 and 1/4 was 15.5 they had no data for the 16 Altima yet,but later on this year they will,now that was both 3.5 motors.
Maximam is correct, the 3.5 Altima is just a quick as the 16 Maxima. Its pretty much a draw. http://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-...t-test-review/
http://www.motortrend.com/news/the-2...y-motor-trend/
Old 01-08-2016 | 04:32 PM

Someone is not telling the truth than,because I got the info I shared straight from nissans owne arcives,and the data mamaam shared were from a test group who I have watched many times and are also good,and they both used the 2013 Altima pitted up to the 2016 max,so I guess whoever lines up with a max vrs a Altima will truly know the real truth,and every car is made different,yes same specs,but they can all come off the assb. line one tighter than the other,and they have one guy test run each against just the clock,i would like to see heads up racing,but I am sure they are still close till 60 than the max will out gun it with the extra hp.I would like to know where some of these test drive company's get there info from,cause they have the platinum listed at 3700 plus lbs and on my door and in the brocure from Nissan it is listed at 3593 plt. and sr at 3564... not that it really matters,the max is plenty fast for what it is.

Last edited by mnmsnowbeast; 01-08-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-08-2016 | 04:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

- Better lights, not more halogen bulbs
- Better Carpet
- AWD!!!
Old 01-08-2016 | 08:29 PM

The SV in Canada is a tremendous value proposition @ .9 lease rate for 48mths. Nothing touches it. The car runs perfectly. The CVT is Nissans best yet. The only thing that annoys the heck out of me is that the door locks are not programmable. It would cost nothing to offer a few choices as to when they lock.

And of course they should all come with standard trailer hitches. So obvious.
Old 01-09-2016 | 01:45 PM

Not an owner yet but honestly the biggest thing I'd love to see changed is the horribly cheap looking wood on the platinum model. Wish it came in the same look as the SR.
Old 01-09-2016 | 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by cstrasz
Not an owner yet but honestly the biggest thing I'd love to see changed is the horribly cheap looking wood on the platinum model. Wish it came in the same look as the SR.
It must be a personal thing,mine is a white platinum and ya it is a tad glossy looking and you know its not real wood,but it dont bother me any,once driving the car you are not looking at it anyways.
Old 01-09-2016 | 03:07 PM

It must be a personal thing,mine is a white platinum and ya it is a tad glossy looking and you know its not real wood,but it dont bother me any,once driving the car you are not looking at it anyways.
Yeah I mean I still would love to get one hehe. I think it's just a personal thing. I never liked brown combined with black in cars.

The wheels are another thing that I'm not as into. I really like the SR ones but not the normal ones. I suppose those can be swapped out but it starts getting pricey. Neither are huge deal breakers. Just wish those were options during configuration.

Ideally I'd love to see the look of the SR with all of the features of the platinum.

Last edited by cstrasz; 01-09-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-09-2016 | 11:35 PM

Lotta things being mentioned here. I would suggest we forget the Altima comparison, as I understand that Nissan will soon be dropping the 3.5 engine from the Altima lineup. Besides, who wants to drive a car that sells between a fourth and a third of a million copies each year, and which we see in big numbers everywhere we go every day? I personally feel the styling of the 2016 Maxima is superior to that of the Altima. There is a reason the Maxima costs more than the Altima, and experienced drivers who have driven both the Altima and equivalent Maxima can tell the difference.

Yes, we could add AWD or RWD and power folding mirrors and an automatic tranny and most of the other things being mentioned here, but would many current Maxima owners be willing to pay between $45K and $50K for a Nissan? Adding things like AWD to a low production volume car such as the Maxima is more costly per production unit than adding it to a higher production volume car. And moving production back to Japan would take the Maxima off the shopping list of many folks, who prefer buying vehicles assembled in this country using mostly American-made parts.

In short, there are those here who would like almost any feature found on any other vehicle added to the Maxima. Real life does not work that way. In real life, there has to be a balance between features and price, with both getting close scrutiny long before the first bolt is put into the first bolthole.

Yes, this is a very interesting thread, and there are a few things I would like to see differently with the Maxima. But AWD, RWD, a manual tranny, an automatic tranny, etc, are not things that are featured on the current Maxima. Neither are they things I would want on my car. Those who insist on such items need to be looking elsewhere.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 01-09-2016 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-10-2016 | 10:20 AM

Power folding mirrors would make my Platinum perfect.
Old 01-10-2016 | 12:43 PM

When our vehicle is in reverse mode,my mirrors tilt down,auntomatically.
Old 01-10-2016 | 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill

Yes, we could add AWD or RWD and power folding mirrors and an automatic tranny and most of the other things being mentioned here, but would many current Maxima owners be willing to pay between $45K and $50K for a Nissan? Adding things like AWD to a low production volume car such as the Maxima is more costly per production unit than adding it to a higher production volume car. And moving production back to Japan would take the Maxima off the shopping list of many folks, who prefer buying vehicles assembled in this country using mostly American-made parts.
Considering the cheapest AWD in Infiniti is 38K, so yes Subtract the Luxury of the Infiniti name sake and Yes. You we will pay 40K for the Maxima. If VW can Turn Passats and Jetta into Audi for a Premium then Nissan can "Un Infinti" there cars. Just my opinion, since Nissan does have any 4 door RWD.
Old 01-18-2016 | 10:05 AM
ATS

an exterior redesign?
Old 01-18-2016 | 10:50 AM

I think i made a final decision- brilliant silver SR with camel interior..can I do the premium spoiler instead of the sport spoiler? I see someone on here did it with an SR- maybe i should order from the factory to get it exact?
Old 01-18-2016 | 10:58 AM

Rear Wheel drive, auto folding side mirrors, Adaptive headlights that turn when you turn your steering wheel. Option for blacked out chrome (under windows, front grille, back trunk).
Old 01-18-2016 | 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by mls277
I think i made a final decision- brilliant silver SR with camel interior..can I do the premium spoiler instead of the sport spoiler? I see someone on here did it with an SR- maybe i should order from the factory to get it exact?
I love my brilliant silver, which has been my favorite car color for over sixty-five years (before that, almost all cars were black). I had to get the Platinum to get the goodies I wanted, which meant I could not get the Camel interior (by FAR the best interior color in my opinion). By ordering from the factory, you can also get any special lighting packages, etc, you may want at factory prices, which are lower than dealer-installed prices. The installation of those lighting packages by the dealer is not a simple task, and requires several hours labor.

You may want to check and see how long it is currently taking to get a special-order car. Sometimes it is around three months, but, over the years, I have seen folks here who sometimes had to wait over four months for their car to arrive.

Quick Reply: What would you change in the new Maxima