8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Newbie here, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 08:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Newbie here, need some help

Hi
I'm very close to ending my almost life long marriage with Honda/Acura to join the Maxima nation.
However I'm torn on deciding between the SR version and the Platinum version?
Also, can't decide between black/black or white/black.
If it matters, for the record I'm a single dad with 2 kids who are with me a lot of the time.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:06 PM

I just bought an SR this morning - I've had a 2007 Camry SE that I loved.
I was initially planning to buy an Accord but found the ride too soft compared to what I liked and the steering to not be very rewarding, that's why I ended up in Maxima territory.
I (perhaps) made the mistake of not testing the SL/Platinum so I'm not sure what I'm missing and can't really compare the rides - have you felt a difference when testing both?

What I can tell you is that in your situation I would actually consider the Platinum over the SR for three reasons.

First, the ride in the SR is very very stiff. It's stiffer than my old Camry SE. You constantly feel the road. I wanted that because I've been "spoiled" by my previous car and because it's a matter of personal preference. It might be way too much of a change for you if you've previously driven Hondas and Acuras. It's going to be interesting for me going back and forth to the Odyssey which is so comfortable. Because it's my commuting car, the kids are rarely going to be riding with me - we have a Honda Odyssey that they mostly ride in. You're going to have to make the ride comfortable for multiple people, including in the back, and with car seats. Car seats aren't really designed to absorb bottom bumps, they may actually amplify it.

Second, I think that having the moonroof is great, especially with a dual roof. The SR omits it, which is a pity but doesn't affect me much as the only one in the car - I rarely look up. On the other hand, you have two kids who would be staring forward, and sitting in the darker portion of the car. The extra light, by itself, really seems worth it.

Third, the Platinum has the 360 camera and the moving object detection (see my question in this forum from yesterday). People say it's really useful, and I'd definitely see that, especially if I had to park in a lot of unfamiliar places or in places where kids might be running around. This is less relevant for me since I almost always park in the garage.

So I would personally consider spending the extra 2K and getting the Platinum for all those features. The SR is more useful if you mostly drive yourself. With kids in the car, you're probably going to be less aggressive in your driving anyway.

Also, be aware that tires for the SR (at 19 nonstandard) are more expensive and there are less options. This may affect you if you're planning to buy snow tires (I'm in that situation)

Last edited by slpgh; 01-21-2016 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:22 AM

If u want a sport feel get a SR if u want a luxury a platinum because SR will not have a sunroof or 360 camera and more
Old 01-22-2016, 06:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the responses
Ultimately for me it comes down to the moonroof, I guess.
The showroom floor has a beautiful black sr and it keeps me gravitating towards it.
I love the 19" wheels and the overall sportiness of it.
When the dust settles I will probably go for the platinum and most likely a white one, as I've read the black is very difficult to keep clean and the scratches show more.
Maybe I'll compromise and get the white sr. Lol
Old 01-22-2016, 07:03 AM

I would suggest driving boith of them one after the other (like Plat, SR, Plat) over the same route when there is limited traffic - most dealers will let you test drive a sequence for comparisons. See if you actually notice a difference in the drive. I haven't tested both, but I suspect some people would feel a world of difference and some won't feel any.

I don't know whether the SR is actually looking sportier - but I didn't get a spoiler so I think the wheels are the only external difference.

Both vehicles have sport mode, I believe, but I haven't used it - the engine is already overpowered as it is and I've not found a situation where I turned it on and felt like it was necessary. If you don't believe me, drive a fully loaded Mazda 6 and see the difference of underpower

I think the moonroof make a huge difference, as long as there's someone in the back to see it

BTW, trunk space is a bit limited in the Maximas compared to some cars - make sure it works for you.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:13 AM

I own a Platinum and my son owns a SR. I have driven both liked both but wanted the
glass roof. The SR does have a much stiffer ride and when you drive in sport mode
you increase the dynamics of the ride. Steering tightens . The SR also has other ride
control features that the Platinum doesn't have. I love my Platinum and enjoy using the
sport mode feature when using car on highway. As others have said do test drive both
cars and you should feel the difference. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Randy
Old 01-22-2016, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Randy
I own a Platinum and my son owns a SR. I have driven both liked both but wanted the
glass roof. The SR does have a much stiffer ride and when you drive in sport mode
you increase the dynamics of the ride. Steering tightens . The SR also has other ride
control features that the Platinum doesn't have. I love my Platinum and enjoy using the
sport mode feature when using car on highway. As others have said do test drive both
cars and you should feel the difference. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Randy
Hi Randy,
Since I didn't drive the non-SR, I'm wondering about a couple of things:

First, do you ever feel the impact of the IDM module (e.g., the active curve steering or whatnot)? It looks great on paper but I have a hard time telling whether it's being engaged at any time or whether I'm imagining that it is based on what it's supposed to do. It's one of the things that lead me to choose the SR over the SL/Plat, but I have no idea if I'm even using the damn thing or if it makes a difference. I kind of wish there was a dash indicator the way there is for things like traction control

Second, can you see the moonroof while driving to the level where, say, it makes things significantly brigher in the driver seat? My old car (Camry) and our other car (an Odyssey) have a single moonroof, and it's placed back enough that at best I can only see a sliver of it while driving, and the light impact is minimal - most of the light goes to the back. I haven't tried it on the Maxima but based on the photos it also looks like the front moonroof wouldn't be that visible to the driver - it doesn't seem to go all the way to the front windshield.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:32 AM

I personally prefer the SR as it has the sport suspension, but it really depends on which you think will fit you best!
Old 01-22-2016, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by NissanFreak2000
I personally prefer the SR as it has the sport suspension, but it really depends on which you think will fit you best!
So do I, but I would have personally gone with the softer suspension if I were to frequently be driving my kids. I've seen some academic research and experiments suggesting that vibrations are more significant in the rear seat and that they are enhanced by the car seat, so a child sitting in the back may be getting a much stiffer ride than an adult in the front.

Depending on the age of the child and seating position, this may become even more uncomfortable although no health hazards have been demonstrated (e.g., with a baby seat).
Old 01-22-2016, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by slpgh
Hi Randy,
Since I didn't drive the non-SR, I'm wondering about a couple of things:

First, do you ever feel the impact of the IDM module (e.g., the active curve steering or whatnot)? It looks great on paper but I have a hard time telling whether it's being engaged at any time or whether I'm imagining that it is based on what it's supposed to do. It's one of the things that lead me to choose the SR over the SL/Plat, but I have no idea if I'm even using the damn thing or if it makes a difference. I kind of wish there was a dash indicator the way there is for things like traction control

Second, can you see the moonroof while driving to the level where, say, it makes things significantly brigher in the driver seat? My old car (Camry) and our other car (an Odyssey) have a single moonroof, and it's placed back enough that at best I can only see a sliver of it while driving, and the light impact is minimal - most of the light goes to the back. I haven't tried it on the Maxima but based on the photos it also looks like the front moonroof wouldn't be that visible to the driver - it doesn't seem to go all the way to the front windshield.
Answer Question 1
There are three seperate features the SR has:
1. Active Trace Control- Selectively applies brakes. Either inner or outer
going through a turn.
ALso don't know when it determines it needs to activiate the feature.
2. Active Engine Brake - As yo apply the brakes, Active Engine Brake systems downshifts the CVT, slowing the vehicle with less effort.
3. Active Ride Control - if you are riding on a rough road Active Ride control
sytem kicks in. It works by automatically applying the brakes to help somooth the impact.

Auto reviewers who have tested these features say they do work and can notice a difference. I can tell you that my son and I did notie a difference on a rough road with his SR over my Plat. The SR did smotth out the ride somewhat.

Answer Question 2

There are many time I will just open the shade portion of the glass roof
and yes it does increase light in the front driver area as well as front passenger. It also nice at night driving with the stars.

Randy
Old 01-22-2016, 01:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks again for the replies.
Well Its over.
Thursday I will be picking up my new (off the showroom floor)
Super Black W/Charcoal Int SR
Could have had it as soon as tomorrow but the body shop apparently cant get to the rocker panels and rear diffuser until Wed.
I will definitely miss the moonroof. but the 19" alloys are sweet and the extra couple grand will cover a lot of gas. Lol
I don't think I got a great deal but it seems to me the discounts up here in the northeast aren't quite as good as some I've heard down south and out west?
I ended up settling on like $2,600 off of msrp with $1000 in rebates and they gave me $7k for my 2005 acura mdx.
All in all w/2.29% financing at 72 months about $420/ month.
Im hoping the next car I buy wont be until somewhere around 2025.
Hondas have been very good to me so my expectations for this ride are steep.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:21 PM

I'm in the same situation- I have been going between models for months! I'm either going with a Silver/Charcoal or Cashmere Platinum with the 18" upgrade wheels,, or the Silver/Camel SR with the upgraded 19" black wheels. I'm in the NY area and havent had much luck with getting a "good deal" either. Where did you buy yours if you are willing to say? Also that 2.29 for 72 is great- how did you get to that number?

My goal was to buy before Jan 1, but my new goal is Feb 1!
Old 01-22-2016, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by mls277
I'm in the same situation- I have been going between models for months! I'm either going with a Silver/Charcoal or Cashmere Platinum with the 18" upgrade wheels,, or the Silver/Camel SR with the upgraded 19" black wheels. I'm in the NY area and havent had much luck with getting a "good deal" either. Where did you buy yours if you are willing to say? Also that 2.29 for 72 is great- how did you get to that number?

TrueCar listed a supposed ~33k price on the SR from North Plainfield Nissan in NJ. Not sure how this translates into lease costs. I've had luck just mailing lots of local dealerships with the exact model, getting quotes, and then going to the one near my house and getting a match.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by scottyb1221
Im hoping the next car I buy wont be until somewhere around 2025.
Hondas have been very good to me so my expectations for this ride are steep.
I have had my 7th gen since August 2008 and its running great in 2016!
Old 01-22-2016, 07:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

mls
Im in the Albany area. I got it at Lia Nissan in Colonie.
The 2.29% was from the dealer not NMAC.
Nmac had 2.99% with $500 extra in rebates but it turned out to be a wash so I chose the better rate.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:07 PM

I wonder how much of a difference in the ride the 19s cause over the 18s. I know it will make it a little rougher but not sure how much.

I got the platinum but plan to get the black sports spoiler and am contemplating swapping out the regular wheels for the sports ones. Wonder if anyone else has done this.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by cstrasz
I wonder how much of a difference in the ride the 19s cause over the 18s. I know it will make it a little rougher but not sure how much.

I got the platinum but plan to get the black sports spoiler and am contemplating swapping out the regular wheels for the sports ones. Wonder if anyone else has done this.

That's exactly the route I went. I valued the moonroof and extra options of the Platinum more than the suspension of the SR. I haven't installed the spoiler yet, it's sitting in my garage and can't wait to do so. <br/>Re: the ride difference. I do feel a lot more of the road with the 19's but nothing I'd complain about. I would say I feel less roll in the tires when cornering with the 19's as the walls are lower profile than the 18's. I am riding on BFGoodrich G-force Comp-2 A/S tires.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by kaulana47

That's exactly the route I went. I valued the moonroof and extra options of the Platinum more than the suspension of the SR. I haven't installed the spoiler yet, it's sitting in my garage and can't wait to do so. <br/>Re: the ride difference. I do feel a lot more of the road with the 19's but nothing I'd complain about. I would say I feel less roll in the tires when cornering with the 19's as the walls are lower profile than the 18's. I am riding on BFGoodrich G-force Comp-2 A/S tires.
Are those the upgraded nissan 19" SR black wheels? Did the dealer put those on for you? What did they add to the bill to make that change?
Old 01-24-2016, 12:34 PM

Im in staten island and i went to north plainfield 545 US 22 in NJ. my sr was 39500 sticker and leased it for 400 a month (36) 1000 down and they paid the last 3 payments on my altima at 309 a month. They started 539, 459, 430, 419, and finally 400 4 hours of telling them NO 400. and free oil changes

Last edited by djstorniolo; 01-24-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:14 AM

Are those the upgraded nissan 19" SR black wheels? Did the dealer put those on for you? What did they add to the bill to make that change?
They are the 19" upgrades for the SR trim. I bought them from the Nissan of Fife parts dept at a screaming deal. Used the 25% off discount code to their already below MSRP prices and picked up at location to save on delivery. I bought BFGoodrich G-Force Comp 2 A/S tires and couldn't be happier. I brokered the install of the rims and spoiler with my purchase agreement. The rims and tires was bought separate from my financing.