8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Seatbelt Chime?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 07:33 AM

Seatbelt Chime?

Does anyone's seatbelt chime work?
Says it should chime but mine will not

Went through manual and done see a way of turning on or off

Kevin
Old 02-12-2016, 12:49 PM

no chime here!

My car has never chimed! I thought some manufacturer finally figured out nag-ware was obscene

My previous Caddy ATS chimed, but only one set and then not again during that trip.
I'll wear the seatbelts, but don't try to MAKE me wear them...

So, its the best defect I ever found in a car.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:51 PM

I have never heard it because i always have it on.

Last edited by mrgooch; 02-12-2016 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:45 PM

I get chimed if I don't have my belt on. But it is not a loud or obtrusive sound. It is somewhat the same level as the chime my home security system makes when the alarm is turned off and someone opens a door or window. Not as loud as the beeping I get while squeezing into our out of my garage or getting close to obstructions when parking or closing too fast on the car ahead of me or backing out of anywhere when vehicles or people are crossing my rear. I have gotten used to lots of beeping and chiming with all these driver assists on the Platinum, understand what they are telling me, and appreciate the assistance. I especially use the overhead view showing everything around me, because I don't have the flexibility in my neck that I did back when I was in my seventies.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:32 PM

I've never heard my seatbelt chime come on, same with my old 2008 Altima. I always thought that was just the way it was with Nissans :P
Old 02-14-2016, 01:35 PM

chiming as in when one drive off w/o the seatbelt engaged?
never tried at as it has become reflex to use seatbelt before starting the car.
hmmm maybe i can try it....
Old 02-15-2016, 01:36 PM

none of my maximas ever made any seat belt noise inclusing the 16 what a blessing little red light in dash is all the warning you get. count your blessings drive a Ford and you will see what I mean what a PITA
Old 02-18-2016, 06:42 AM

I figured out that the car will chime about 4 times when you turn it on and the driver does not have the seat belt fastened. After these 4 chimes it will no longer make any noise for the duration of the drive. The car does not care audibly about the passenger. You can barely notice the chime as its happening while the car is starting up and you're looking at the fancy logo and moving needles, but if you pay attention and start the car without the seat belt buckled then turn it off and start it with the seat belt buckled you will not hear the chime.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Clouded
I figured out that the car will chime about 4 times when you turn it on and the driver does not have the seat belt fastened. After these 4 chimes it will no longer make any noise for the duration of the drive. The car does not care audibly about the passenger. You can barely notice the chime as its happening while the car is starting up and you're looking at the fancy logo and moving needles, but if you pay attention and start the car without the seat belt buckled then turn it off and start it with the seat belt buckled you will not hear the chime.
That is the way mine behaves. If I'm not paying attention, I miss it. Since I usually buckle my belt before starting the car, the alarm seldom goes off in my car.

I had seat belts installed on the four window seats in my 1966 Olds Delta 88 soon after I bought that car, as belts did not come in many cars fifty years ago. I had a wife and two children, and I was fastidious about all four of us being buckled up before moving the car. We all four still always buckle up. My two children are now in their fifties, and their children also buckle up every time they enter a car. But I still frequently read of wrecks where those wearing a seat belt survived, but those that didn't have on their belts were thrown from the car and died on the scene.