8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Dash cam

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 12:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dash cam

Has anyone installed a dash cam? How was the install?
Old 02-15-2016, 05:35 PM

I'm curious about any installs as well. I've seen install photos in other cars where people have used mirror radar detector mounts and mirror power taps to install.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by denormalize
I'm curious about any installs as well. I've seen install photos in other cars where people have used mirror radar detector mounts and mirror power taps to install.
I have been considering the blackvue 650 2ch kit. Was wondering if anyone else has installed this unit in a 2016 maxima and if they had any issues removing the A pillar covers to run the cables behind the air bags. Also wondering if the front camera is well hidden behind the rear view mirror and where is the best place to locate the rear camera as i have the rear window shade. Is there enough room for the camera?
Old 02-17-2016, 07:29 AM

I have one similar to this one in my Maxima and Corvette:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TXRLVN6?keywords=dash%20cam&qid=1455723078&ref_=sr_1_196&s=electronics&sr=1-196 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TXRLVN6?keywords=dash%20cam&qid=1455723078&ref_=sr_1_196&s=electronics&sr=1-196

There are many variations of this model out of China and the low cost and decent video make it a good choice for me. I also want one that does not take up a lot of space in the windshield and I have not found one smaller than this.

I hardwired it so it comes on and off when the ignition starts and stops.

Here's a video shot from the Corvette last year. It shows a lady dropping mulch on the freeway because she didn't tie it down properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_afQ...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by kevin_ohio; 02-17-2016 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Goraki
I have been considering the blackvue 650 2ch kit. Was wondering if anyone else has installed this unit in a 2016 maxima and if they had any issues removing the A pillar covers to run the cables behind the air bags. Also wondering if the front camera is well hidden behind the rear view mirror and where is the best place to locate the rear camera as i have the rear window shade. Is there enough room for the camera?
I tucked the wires behind the rubber trim/molding and it worked well. I have also taken off the A-pillar pieces in other cars and routed the wires with no trouble.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by kevin_ohio
I have one similar to this one in my Maxima and Corvette:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...onics&sr=1-196

There are many variations of this model out of China and the low cost and decent video make it a good choice for me. I also want one that does not take up a lot of space in the windshield and I have not found one smaller than this.

Here's a video shot from the Corvette last year. It shows a lady dropping mulch on the freeway because she didn't tie it down properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_afQ...ature=youtu.be
Thanks kevin. I am heading to the usa this weekend so i will look at picking up this model. Video quality looked great. Does it have a parking mode and wifi?
Old 02-18-2016, 05:47 AM

No parking mode or wifi on this one. Just a basic cam.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:08 PM

Dash Cam

Originally Posted by Goraki
Has anyone installed a dash cam? How was the install?
Just my opinion, but I use BlackVue dash cam. Used it for over 2+ years now in my 2011 Max and now in my 2016 Max. It has parking mode, Wifi, app for the smartphone and computer to view information to include playback with a window showing on google maps (I assume). Has paid off several times already. Good cam. I only have the front one but you can get the front and back. I have it wired to plug into my 12-volt power, neatly from the windshield, down to the floor, under my WeatherTech mats to my 12-volt connector. Bought mine on Amazon but you can check out the cams at: http://www.blackvue.com/ Just my 2-cents!
Old 04-11-2016, 08:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MAJ_Jimbo
Just my opinion, but I use BlackVue dash cam. Used it for over 2+ years now in my 2011 Max and now in my 2016 Max. It has parking mode, Wifi, app for the smartphone and computer to view information to include playback with a window showing on google maps (I assume). Has paid off several times already. Good cam. I only have the front one but you can get the front and back. I have it wired to plug into my 12-volt power, neatly from the windshield, down to the floor, under my WeatherTech mats to my 12-volt connector. Bought mine on Amazon but you can check out the cams at: http://www.blackvue.com/ Just my 2-cents!
Thank you
Old 04-12-2016, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by kevin_ohio
This is the one and only reason I haven't purchased a dash cam yet. I don't want some cheap *** wire hanging down from my windshield and something always plugged into my console to keep it powered.

However, hard wiring seems like it would require quite a bit of effort and removing panels, etc which I wouldn't want to screw up not knowing what I'm doing exactly.

Was this process difficult in your opinion? I'd be interested to know how things went especially with the 16 Maxima in particular.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by solariis
This is the one and only reason I haven't purchased a dash cam yet. I don't want some cheap *** wire hanging down from my windshield and something always plugged into my console to keep it powered.

However, hard wiring seems like it would require quite a bit of effort and removing panels, etc which I wouldn't want to screw up not knowing what I'm doing exactly.

Was this process difficult in your opinion? I'd be interested to know how things went especially with the 16 Maxima in particular.
I found a local car stereo installer (power centre) who recommended the blackvue cams and will install it for 35 bucks (no wires visible). He also recommend purchasing another component (blackvue power magic pro). This will shut the unit off when it is in parking mode if your battery level drops below a selected level.