8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

XK Glow Interior LED Kit Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 06:35 PM

XK Glow Interior LED Kit Installation

This is an installation guide for the interior LED kit I installed in my Maxima about a week ago.

This is the kit here: http://www.xkglow.com/4pc_XKchrome_a...s-car-mini.htm going to that link will show you a video advertising all of the functions for this kit. I am truly enjoying this kit, but I feel that the music function isn't all that great whether it be using the mic on your phone or playing music imported into the app itself. Not a big turn off for me, I like everything else about it.

All tools/materials required for this install are:
  1. XK Glow LED Kit
  2. Fuse Tap
  3. Crimping Tool
  4. 3M Outdoor Mounting Tape
  5. 1 Longer Zip Tie

I did not want to go through my firewall for this kit so I connected it by using a Fuse Tap connected to the interior Fuse Box. I bought the Fuse Tap (also referred to as "Add-a-Circuit" & "Expandable Circuit") from my local AutoZone for about $3. I suggest getting a crimping tool if you don't already have one, you could use pliers, but I think an actual crimper gives you the best/most reliable connection or if you're feeling froggy you can just solder it.

I believe I have all the information necessary below for anyone to install this themselves...if I've forgotten anything or anyone would like more information just let me know.

Kit contents.

Fuse I utilized.

Prior to installation.

After install.

I don't have a picture currently, but I pushed most of the excess wire into a "U" shaped metal bracket behind the dashboard to the right of the fuse box and used a longer zip tie to keep the wires in there. I'll update this post when I get a pic.

Ground location.

On/Off Switch location, switch comes with two sided 3M tape pre-applied on back.

Wire path.

LED mounted under front seats. I cut two small holes at the edge of the felt covered cardboard under the seats and ran zip ties through them. Two zip ties were used to mount the bar to the seat, two were used to attach the wire on top of the led strip as it is one continuous run. I left some slack under the seats so that they could move back and forth without putting any stress on any wire or pull the wire out from under the center console.

All wire was tucked under the center console, pushed this bit in after taking the picture.

I wasn't able to get a picture of the passenger side LED bar installed because of the angle. That bar is mounted using the double sided 3M tape that was included in the kit. I mounted it on the bottom of the cabin air filter housing behind the glove compartment, behind the footwell light bulb as to not block access or cause a shadow.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:35 AM

Doesn't seem that hard of an install. Will be ordering them soon now! Would be looking forward to see more pics though.

Do these lights come with some sort of a brightness adjuster? Just in case I don't want them too bright at all times.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:33 AM

Nice! Excellent writeup!
Old 03-05-2016, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by maxima_sr
Doesn't seem that hard of an install. Will be ordering them soon now! Would be looking forward to see more pics though.

Do these lights come with some sort of a brightness adjuster? Just in case I don't want them too bright at all times.
Everything is controlled through the app.

You can turn the lights on and off through the app or using the switch. The way mine is set up it comes on as soon as the car turns on because I used the switched power fuse and leave the on/off switch in the on position.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:47 AM

Awesome. When you get a moment, can you post a video?
Old 03-05-2016, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Propa Teknique
Awesome. When you get a moment, can you post a video?
I'll consider it. I've never gotten around to any video uploading, but it's always been in the back of my mind. I assume you're just looking for a personal demo rather than the fancy video they have on their website.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by propa teknique
awesome. When you get a moment, can you post a video?
+1
Old 03-05-2016, 05:02 PM

So I take it this kit is totally worth every penny, its about 60-80 more dollars than other stuff I've seen , but it looks way more legit than the others.

Thanks for the share, I'll be getting this one
Old 03-05-2016, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Savage81
So I take it this kit is totally worth every penny, its about 60-80 more dollars than other stuff I've seen , but it looks way more legit than the others.

Thanks for the share, I'll be getting this one
No problem, glad I could help.

Cheap kits generally lock you into one color, for about $100 you can get multi-color and you'll generally have a control box and/or some remote control to add to your key ring.

This kit keeps your key ring light, gives you 16 million color options, multiple lighting effects, and you can completely hide everything and control everything from your smartphone which you were carrying anyway.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:04 PM

So just for clarification does it come with the app controller? I see a Remote you can purchase, but I'm hoping I don't need to add that because I'll be using the phone as a remote.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Savage81
So just for clarification does it come with the app controller? I see a Remote you can purchase, but I'm hoping I don't need to add that because I'll be using the phone as a remote.
If you went to the link I posted above then yes, it does come with the app controller. There should be a picture showing what all comes in the kit.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:29 PM

Cool thanks