5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

front suspension pop

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 04:45 PM

front suspension pop

ok...this is the symptom. if I accelerate hard from a stop there is no noise until I unload the suspension by getting off the gas and/or coming to a stop. sometimes after getting out of the throttle it will make the pop noise that can be felt/heard in the pass side floorboard area. on a couple of occasions the pop noise didn't sound off until I came to a complete stop and was sitting at the light after a few seconds. I can replicate this issue each time by leaving hard from a stop as it will do this every time. if I drive it normal there is no pop whatsoever. it is clearly something binding and releasing but I cannot isolate the culprit.
the cv boots are all dry with no tears and intact. the end links look good, lower control arm ball joint and bushings look good and doesn't have any play.
I do have replacement arms and end links that I have purchased but not installed.
what I have installed are moog outer tie rod ends, voghtland lowering springs w/kyb excel g shocks and struts and moog strut mounts. looks like I have everything orientated correctly. it really sounds like its something binding in the firewall area.
sorry for the log post...just wanted to provide as much info as possible.
thanks
2001 se at
Old 12-13-2015, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgendriver
ok...this is the symptom. if I accelerate hard from a stop there is no noise until I unload the suspension by getting off the gas and/or coming to a stop. sometimes after getting out of the throttle it will make the pop noise that can be felt/heard in the pass side floorboard area. on a couple of occasions the pop noise didn't sound off until I came to a complete stop and was sitting at the light after a few seconds. I can replicate this issue each time by leaving hard from a stop as it will do this every time. if I drive it normal there is no pop whatsoever. it is clearly something binding and releasing but I cannot isolate the culprit.
the cv boots are all dry with no tears and intact. the end links look good, lower control arm ball joint and bushings look good and doesn't have any play.
I do have replacement arms and end links that I have purchased but not installed.
what I have installed are moog outer tie rod ends, voghtland lowering springs w/kyb excel g shocks and struts and moog strut mounts. looks like I have everything orientated correctly. it really sounds like its something binding in the firewall area.
sorry for the log post...just wanted to provide as much info as possible.
thanks
2001 se at
My maxima had a pop on the passenger side whenever I'd turn left and when I rotated my tires the other day, my sway bar bolt was not on all the way. I guess that's where the popping was coming from cause after I tightened it down, I haven't heard it. Check for loose bolts, that's probably the problem.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Juan M. Marroquin
My maxima had a pop on the passenger side whenever I'd turn left and when I rotated my tires the other day, my sway bar bolt was not on all the way. I guess that's where the popping was coming from cause after I tightened it down, I haven't heard it. Check for loose bolts, that's probably the problem.
yeah...i'm going to crawl under there and verify everything again in case I missed something.
thanks for the reply
Old 12-15-2015, 01:17 PM
Suspension Yoda

Check your passenger side motor mount. What it sounds like is there's a pop when you remove the car from acceleration load.

Advice I tell everyone: noises are visual.

If you can replicate the noise while the car is standing still (rev the engine to test the mounts, push down on fender, etc), then you should be able to see and isolate where the noise is coming from.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Check your passenger side motor mount. What it sounds like is there's a pop when you remove the car from acceleration load.

Advice I tell everyone: noises are visual.

If you can replicate the noise while the car is standing still (rev the engine to test the mounts, push down on fender, etc), then you should be able to see and isolate where the noise is coming from.
I just changed the pass mount last weekend. it was worn but it didn't cure the pop.
i'm not sure if this started when i installed the lowering springs and struts or not. I just started to notice it afterwards tho.
yesterday I was making it do the popping at will. its definitely a bind. whatever is moving upon moderate to hard acceleration is binding then releasing once the torque is at zero.
I was looking at a suspension diagram to try to determine how all the components behave under acceleration but i'm still not sure what component would make the sound next to the firewall area.