8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

First model year problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 06:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

First model year problems?

Currently have a 2009 Altima 2.5S and 2012 Xterra PRO-4X. Considering selling both to get a Maxima so I get the V6 and better gas mileage, but I'm a bit worried about possibly encountering first model year problems, especially after reading some of the things listed on NissanProblems.com and Edmunds. I've test driven 2 SRs and 1 SL - loved both, but I've heard a few reports of electrical issues, etc. so I was wondering if anyone here has had any issues with their first year (2016)? Worst case, I might wait a model year or two before pulling the trigger on one to reduce the chance of getting one with problems.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:55 AM

I have about 10,000 miles on mine. Squeaks and Rattles but thats most cars and every Nissan I have owned. CVT! Make sure you like the car that much that you want to put up with the CVT and don't plan on modding too much performance related stuff. Other than Moisture issues with the Fog Lights, I Love my Car!
Old 03-24-2016, 08:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks mpbclutch. Definitely good to know. I agree, it seems like all Nissans have squeaks and rattles - my Xterra and Altima certainly do and even my 370Z has some. The CVT was definitely different than the one I'm used to in my 09 Altima. It seems to "shift" earlier which gives the illusion of less power which I wasn't entirely a fan of when test driving. I wouldn't be doing any performance mods since I actually kind of regret doing any to my Altima (makes it harder to sell and the exhaust is a little too loud for my liking now).

Interesting to hear about moisture in the fogs - haven't heard of that before so that's definitely good to know
Old 03-24-2016, 08:04 AM

I'm about 1600 miles in and I had a bad driver side speaker and just normal plastic squeaks other than that so far so good.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:16 AM

I've got into 3 total first model vehicles with Nissan.
1. 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V: First time Nissan introduced the QR25DE engine. Close to having the engine replaced under warranty because twice the dipstick was empty between oil services. Had the 6 speed manual transmission replaced because of grinding going into 3rd any time past 3k RPMs.
2. 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV: First remodel of the Altima. No real problems with the vehicle other than the CVT shudder that some have had here. I believe that this was the first year that they put the CVT's in the altima, but not 100% sure. Didn't do much with this vehicle as it happened more towards the end of the lease.
3. 2016 Nissan Maxima SV: No problems other than trying to keep this cashmere interior spotless in places like doors and behind front seats! And also another big problem is, the strong urge to modify this vehicle.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by JSROOKS
I'm about 1600 miles in and I had a bad driver side speaker and just normal plastic squeaks other than that so far so good.
That's not too bad - thanks!

Originally Posted by im not gay but $20 is $20
1. 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V: First time Nissan introduced the QR25DE engine. Close to having the engine replaced under warranty because twice the dipstick was empty between oil services. Had the 6 speed manual transmission replaced because of grinding going into 3rd any time past 3k RPMs.
2. 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV: First remodel of the Altima. No real problems with the vehicle other than the CVT shudder that some have had here. I believe that this was the first year that they put the CVT's in the altima, but not 100% sure. Didn't do much with this vehicle as it happened more towards the end of the lease.
3. 2016 Nissan Maxima SV: No problems other than trying to keep this cashmere interior spotless in places like doors and behind front seats! And also another big problem is, the strong urge to modify this vehicle.
Interesting and good to know about the cashmere interior since I was leaning towards that color.

I definitely know what your pains are with the Altima - I've actually had the CVT in my 09 replaced twice - the first time was because of a TSB for a bearing whine because it was made out of spec. Unfortunately they gave me a remanufactured at just 13k miles on the car. I then proceeded to have issues with shuddering at 5mph to the point where it felt like someone was rear-ending the car every time it happened. Ended up even disengaging on the highway for a split second which basically was the only reason why Nissan ended up agreeing to replace it with a brand new transmission just 3k miles later (@ 16k miles). The vehicle now has about 22k with no issues since but I totally understand how frustrating the shudder is. I think the '13s started the "PureDrive" CVT.

Haven't seen anything about shuddering so far on the 16 Maximas online so that's good.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by nismo9132
That's not too bad - thanks!

Interesting and good to know about the cashmere interior since I was leaning towards that color.

I definitely know what your pains are with the Altima - I've actually had the CVT in my 09 replaced twice - the first time was because of a TSB for a bearing whine because it was made out of spec. Unfortunately they gave me a remanufactured at just 13k miles on the car. I then proceeded to have issues with shuddering at 5mph to the point where it felt like someone was rear-ending the car every time it happened. Ended up even disengaging on the highway for a split second which basically was the only reason why Nissan ended up agreeing to replace it with a brand new transmission just 3k miles later (@ 16k miles). The vehicle now has about 22k with no issues since but I totally understand how frustrating the shudder is. I think the '13s started the "PureDrive" CVT.

Haven't seen anything about shuddering so far on the 16 Maximas online so that's good.
The leather in these Nissan clean up very well. I wouldn't be too worried. I was leaning more towards black, but fell in love with it when they showed me cashmere interior.

The CVT in my Altima did the same exact thing like you were saying. Felt like someone backed into me when the vehicle was engine braking. Didn't happen all too often though. Also, once when it was cold out, I was making a left turn waiting for oncoming traffic I saw an opening but had to accelerate relatively aggressively. The vehicle did not move whatsoever. I believe it was more a throttle issue with the fly-by-wire as the engine didn't even rev. I didn't think much of that because temperatures were in the negatives that evening.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:15 AM

I have close to 7K miles on mine and (knock on wood) no issues what so ever, no bumper gap, foglight issues, no squeaks and rattles nothing! Mine must have been built on a day when upper management where doing an inspection or something lol
Old 03-24-2016, 11:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by TonyMaximaSR
I have close to 7K miles on mine and (knock on wood) no issues what so ever, no bumper gap, foglight issues, no squeaks and rattles nothing! Mine must have been built on a day when upper management where doing an inspection or something lol
That's awesome - glad to hear it!

I really like them and definitely want one, but I'm still on the fence about getting a 2016 because it's the first model year. I guess after having an Xterra and hearing about SMOD (strawberry milkshake of death) where the transmission fluid mixed with the coolant because of a flaw found years later in the design, I'm a bit hesitant to jump onboard early
Old 03-24-2016, 11:53 AM

Even if you wait a year not much will change unless it is some huge recall issue. Other than that the only thing that will change is the number from 16 to 17. And warranty should cover just about everything even the rattles and squeaks if they can find it of course.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by JSROOKS
Even if you wait a year not much will change unless it is some huge recall issue. Other than that the only thing that will change is the number from 16 to 17. And warranty should cover just about everything even the rattles and squeaks if they can find it of course.
You're right - I guess I would just hate to buy one and then have a huge recall issue. There were also some electrical issues with accent lights that I had read about where they were strobing. Little things like that could potentially be fixed too. Part of it too is that both my Xterra and Altima are right around 20 to 22k miles, so they really don't have any problems yet and have a lot of life so I don't want to buy one and suddenly have issues.

Thanks for everyone's input though - definitely seems like it's a pretty solid first model year.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:24 PM

Like with any first year model, the consumers are the manufacturer's guinea pigs.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by nismo9132
That's awesome - glad to hear it!

I really like them and definitely want one, but I'm still on the fence about getting a 2016 because it's the first model year. I guess after having an Xterra and hearing about SMOD (strawberry milkshake of death) where the transmission fluid mixed with the coolant because of a flaw found years later in the design, I'm a bit hesitant to jump onboard early
Before the Maxima I had the new style Pathfinder, the Pathfinder forum is full of horror stories about the CVT and other issues, but I never had any of those issues either. Usually people with issues are a lot more vocal online than people that don't have issues, so it makes it seem like everyone is having issues when in reality its only a small percentage of people.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by TonyMaximaSR
Before the Maxima I had the new style Pathfinder, the Pathfinder forum is full of horror stories about the CVT and other issues, but I never had any of those issues either. Usually people with issues are a lot more vocal online than people that don't have issues, so it makes it seem like everyone is having issues when in reality its only a small percentage of people.
Agreed. That is the internet for you. Bad experiences don't go unnoticed as much as good reviews period. So you will be hearing more the bad than the good, even there are more good.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:51 PM

No issues here!! The only thing is premium gas which is getting up there in price. Other than that this car is awesome. NO squeaks, rattles, foglight issues, gas tank, anything. Weird but my car had QA (Quality assurance) stamps on the window.

Maybe look of cars with a QA stamp!!!!
Old 03-27-2016, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by im not gay but $20 is $20

Our 2013 Altima S has the CVT shudder, but it isn't that bad at all actually. Just rarely feel it. The CVT started a long time ago in the Altimas. I forget the gen # off hand, but it started in the generation after our 2003 Altima we had.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:29 AM

It was my year 2007
Old 03-27-2016, 09:31 PM

4 months and 5000 miles in Canadian winter. Zero issues. Zero noises or rattles. Fantastic transmission. Very surprised based on previous experiences with Nissan CVTs (2011 Maxima). Cars great except for lack of programable door locks.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:44 PM

I've been driving since the 1940s (yes, I am an old geezer), and found that buying American brands early in a new model year was somewhat risky. But I switched to Datsun (the name used on Nissan products until 1984) in the 1970s. I found Datsun to be an economical and reliable brand. I have bought the first model year of Maxima generations 2 through 8, and have had very few problems with any of them. My 2000 SE was problem-free. My 2004 SL had only one problem of significance - drain pipe from sunroof was crimped and interior flooded. My 2009 Premium was perfect from Sept 2008 until I traded it in Sept 2015. I really hated to part with that cream puff. My 2016 Platinum has given no problems so far, not even a rattle or a squeak. And over the last 7 1/2 years, I have grown to love the CVT, although using it to maximum advantage required revising some of my driving habits.

Since the 2017 Maxima will have no changes (Nissan makes the first changes of each generation in the third model year), I would have no hesitation buying the 2016 instead of waiting. At any rate, I feel that any problem area would be addressed as soon as Nissan finds a fix, not held till the next model year.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Driving my SR since November. Coming up on 6k miles....not a single issue.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:49 AM

I had a clunking noise while driving over speed bumps or uneven road surface checked out and they found that my front sway bar was loose.

Slight rocking from my drivers power seat when accelerating. Nissan is going to replace the entire seat.

Hope nothing else goes wrong!
Old 04-29-2016, 12:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

7k miles SR happy with car. It does have some rattles and squeaks. Passenger side squeaks over 40mph on uneven bumpy roads, driver side also has a clunky sound over speed bumps at low speeds. I'll probably take in for service maybe I'll get lucky. Paint seems to be very delicate bird poop stains almost immediate I have the Bordeaux Black 2 stains already. I've owned black cars before don't recall having that issue before, maybe I just love this car more.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:59 PM

Biggest problem is getting aftermarket support for parts!
Old 05-02-2016, 02:14 PM

I'm experiencing a brake squeak on the right rear. It seems to happen at low speeds and is intermittent. Also had the fuel line o-ring recall taken care of. Have absolutely no body/suspension/interior squeaks, just the intermittent brake squeak. Anyone else experiencing brake squeaks?
Old 05-02-2016, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by JoeWhit
I'm experiencing a brake squeak on the right rear. It seems to happen at low speeds and is intermittent. Also had the fuel line o-ring recall taken care of. Have absolutely no body/suspension/interior squeaks, just the intermittent brake squeak. Anyone else experiencing brake squeaks?
I don't recall brake squeal being mentioned on the 8th gen. But brake squeak is something you should not ignore. Something is not exactly right. It could be simply a pebble lodged against the rotor. Or a caliper spring may have dislodged or broken. Or any of several things, some minor and some potentially doing damage. In a car this new, this should be a warranty issue, and I would try to have this looked at soon.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:22 AM

Rust under chrome trunk trim.
In next week for warranty work.

Had the same problem with my 2012 Maxi.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:54 PM

platinum maxima, 27xx miles>no negative issues and a ton of positive comments, great car.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:05 PM

Please don't misunderstand me...
This is my 3rd Maxima...and I love it !!!!
I baby, my baby, synthetic oil, hand wash only.
The car gets the looks and thumbs up all the time!
I have an Gun Metallic SV...14,000km, not a fond lover of sunroofs.
Would not buy any other make...Nissan is a fantastic company!
Old 05-07-2016, 07:03 PM

anyone else notice/feel some dips/bumps on front windscreen?
mine has them around the top-driverside corner, lower-driverside above where the speaker is, and top-passenger side. can't see them unless you run your hand through.

thanks
Old 05-17-2016, 08:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Black Platinum Model. 3K miles. No issues so far...except for the dumbass that backed into me in a parking lot...month 2. Could have strangled her! Crappy drivers in FL!