8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Security Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 08:01 AM

Security Advice

Hey everybody. So here is my story. I recently had an Infiniti Q50s stolen right from my driveway. No forced entry, they got it and drove it away like they had my keys, I even have a picture from Sunpass of my baby driving away forever. The detective told me there was a ring stealing Infiniti's and I couldn't even track it with the Infiniti Connect GPS. So a month later I decided to get a new Maxima. So my question is before I do any work, I want to know if anyone has experience with the factory alarm and immobilizer on the Maxima. I want to add an after market alarm with tilt sensors and engine immobilizer, but I see the Maxima does have an immobilizer factory installed. As of now I have the Club...lol but I hate it, it actually goes on the brake pedal, but it still sucks. Anyway I was thinking a kill switch or something. Any advice please? Someone suggested a Python 5706P with 507m tilt sensor. I would love to do something ASAP. Thank you all.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:45 AM

Well here is a scenario that is happening out there today. It happens even if you put on all that extra aftermarket security. Thief breaks into car, alarm goes off, and thief immediately installs a reprogramming device into the OBD port and in 25 seconds the alarms are shut off and in another minute the thief has reprogrammed a blank key fob and drives away with your car. This is actually happening now, maybe not in front of your house as much but in the outer reaches of mall parking lots where no one will even care if car alarms are going off. There are now locking OBD ports that slow this process down considerably.

Thieves of today are smart and evolve their disabling technologies as fast as manufactures come up with something new. Just remember new cars today are no more than big mobile computers, and can be hacked easily like laptops and cell phones. Watch where you stow all that personal information.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:49 AM

Richard66-I do believe this is similar to how my Infiniti was stolen, but I nor anyone heard my alarm for even a second. So you think a fuel pump kill switch would still allow them access to driving off even with "their" set of keys?
Old 06-03-2016, 10:50 AM

Oh I was also told that unlike the Infiniti the Maxima OBD is behind the cluster in the dash, which is more difficult for a thief to get to. Is that correct? Does anyone know?
Old 06-03-2016, 11:13 AM

I agree with Richard66, if a thief wants your car, theres no security system in the world thats going to stop him from taking it. Best thing to do is keep it in a garage at night and lower your comp deductible to 0.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:18 AM

TonyMaximaSR-I wish I had a garage. Its crazy but my wife and I were house hunting a few weeks before my Infiniti got stolen and then when that happened life got even more crazier momentarily. My only goal at the time was to find a house with a garage and/or gated community, but I also couldnt get a new car until we closed on the house, according to my mortgage guy, so we waited and looked, put in multiple contracts and nothing happened. 2 months later I said F-it and got the car, so we are still looking, but not sure how it will affect my mortgage and lending opportunity.

I feel that if someone wants my car they will take it no matter what. I just thought there would be an easy, less intrusive way to add a fuel pump kill, so they couldn't get far without a flatbed.

Last edited by Jared526; 06-03-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jared526
Richard66-I do believe this is similar to how my Infiniti was stolen, but I nor anyone heard my alarm for even a second. So you think a fuel pump kill switch would still allow them access to driving off even with "their" set of keys?
A kill switch to the fuel pump is one way to go, it's easy enough to install one, just need to have a good hiding place for the switch near the drivers seat for convenience, and then learn to activate the switch every time you get out and into your car. But then again this will only slow them down, as the car could still be easily towed or hauled away
Old 06-03-2016, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jared526
Oh I was also told that unlike the Infiniti the Maxima OBD is behind the cluster in the dash, which is more difficult for a thief to get to. Is that correct? Does anyone know?
Within arms reach of the drivers seat. Really accessible
Old 06-03-2016, 01:44 PM

VMFA531-I googled it, and felt mine when I left work, not too hidden as I originally was told. They do have OBD locks but I cant find one for our car yet. If anyone does find one, please share.

RICHARD66-I'm not too worry about it being towed away, I want them stopped from stealing my cars identity and driving off with it.