8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2017 Maxima VS Other Cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 03:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yeah I had 2 BMW's 328i's and I will never buy another BMW due to the fact when the factory warranty runs out spending 1200 bucks on brakes and putting 1000 dollar tires on every 30000 miles is not in my budget anymore. The cost of owning the pure driving machine is not worth it imo. The 16 SL I own has twice the features for 20k less. Can't beat that when you want a nice sports sedan without the added expense. BMW sure is fun to drive but you spend a fortune to get the performance that comes stock in the Max.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:26 PM

... and don't get me wrong - I *loved* my last 535i (2013 M-Sport).

But you know what I love more? Going on a nice $4000 cruise every year with my family...
Old 09-01-2016, 06:59 PM

Well I'm on the other side since I've owned 4 Max's and wanted to dip my toe in the German luxury car pond. There is no comparison as you have mentioned but also there is no comparison! Just don't think the new max is anything special and looks a lot like so many other cars. I thought the 6th and 7th gen were unique comparatively. Plus you guys are talking about 3's and 5's... this is a 7 ;-)
Old 09-01-2016, 07:08 PM

I've owned 7-series dude.

This is a Maxima forum.

Good luck when something goes wrong. I've paid $2600 for suspension bushings, $5000 for the EfficiencyDynamics battery, hundreds for ***** whose numbers rubbed off, thousands for overheated iDrive/Combox, and other nonsense.

Trust me - you won't be able to afford it. That's why there aren't many older 7er on the road today.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:17 PM

Righty-o then. As the subject line says new max vs. other cars. I believe this was a thread for why people did or DID NOT buy the new max. My wife still owns a 14 max(my old car) and loves it. I was sharing why I didn't buy the new max and all of you poo pooed the choice I made so I guess my opinion must be less than ;-) Perhaps you make assumptions about others income daily but Im sure you are not privy to what I can or can't afford but enough said... Enjoy your new maxima and I will enjoy the other car. I'm not looking to continue the one sided exchange any longer.

Last edited by BIGIRISHSTL; 09-01-2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by BIGIRISHSTL
Righty-o then. As the subject line says new max vs. other cars. I believe this was a thread for why people did or DID NOT buy the new max. My wife still owns a 14 max(my old car) and loves it. I was sharing why I didn't buy the new max and all of you poo pooed the choice I made so I guess my opinion must be less than ;-) Perhaps you make assumptions about others income daily but Im sure you are not privy to what I can or can't afford but enough said... Enjoy your new maxima and I will enjoy the other car. I'm not looking to continue the one sided exchange any longer.
Even making $350k a year I can't afford to service/maintain a 7 series.

There's "car poor," and then there's "German car poor."
Old 09-02-2016, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by lindros2
Even making $350k a year I can't afford to service/maintain a 7 series.

There's "car poor," and then there's "German car poor."
You have any job openings?

I couldnt afford the SL trim so went with SV lol.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:45 AM

I thought we decided to leave it alone... If you can't afford the car you can't afford it again enough said but not wanting to and can't are semantic but important differences. $350K is a good salary that I'm sure would be fine to support a single car unless you can't manage money at all or have other flagrant expenses. I have an extended warranty that goes past the last payment on it if I choose to keep it that long.

@lindros I'm not sure why you had so many bmw's if they were such money pits and just total crap cars. I've noticed the fit and finish is better than a lot of cars including the max.

Finally I've owned and own Max's. I'm not eschewing them like you are my choice. Also see above why why why did you keep going back to the bmw if it was such a poor decision; do you have poor decision making skills, a glutton for punishment, compulsive disorder, gullible to advertising... I'm kidding a little obviously but just trying to figure out why you liked them and now detest them.

Again good luck with your new decision and hope it turns heads like the BMW's do ;-)
Old 09-03-2016, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Nguyen1
You have any job openings? I couldnt afford the SL trim so went with SV lol.
No that is some great humor. Sign me up too right? Maybe the $350k is in yen or pesos or worse yet lira!
Old 09-03-2016, 08:16 AM

I thought we decided to leave it alone... If you can't afford the car you can't afford it again enough said but not wanting to and can't are semantic but important differences. $350K is a good salary that I'm sure would be fine to support a single car unless you can't manage money at all or have other flagrant expenses. I have an extended warranty that goes past the last payment on it if I choose to keep it that long.
I don't have a "single car". I have multiple cars. Wife. Family House. And unfortunately I'm paying for a second home (apartment) on my own dime since I commute to another city for work. $700/mo + $6000-8000 upfront - and missing features that the Maxima has - isn't fiscally responsible. A Maxima gives you a TON for the money. Yeah, there's hard plastic in the footwells where my BMW had nice carpet. But the leather is better in the Maxima (I've had Dakota leather because BMW Nappa wears terribly - especially with kids - and Merino is a fortune [Individual]).

Also read the comment about vacations - part of the point here is that I take vacations (paid in cash) 2-3 times/year.

@lindros I'm not sure why you had so many bmw's if they were such money pits and just total crap cars. I've noticed the fit and finish is better than a lot of cars including the max.
Read the comment in context.

I loved the BMW's. Leasing (term) was fine. Once it goes off lease (>3 years or >35-45k miles), it becomes a money pit.

Which was my point with the 7-series which someone decided to post photos of.

I also really liked the BMW, but the audio system (non-HK on my last car - big mistake) was awful. No rear door tweeters left a huge gap in the audio stage and audio cut out for about half a second every once and a while for no reason.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:51 AM

So I understand more now that you explained more. You have a play car I assume and don't want to have two expensive maintenance cars? Did you lease your maxima? Why or why not? All cars have TSB's etc. Honda, Toyota and any others you can think of. They all have huge issues and the more informed we are the more we find out the bad more so than the good. Don't forget that the chassis you have purchased is basically 10 yrs old and there have been huge issues with blocks and trans. Anyway I would like to know if you downsized to reallocate money to something else then that was a decision based on your needs and not so much the quality of one car over another. You didn't want to afford the bmw anymore so you chose to move away from them for something more well rounded and economical. I'm in a different situation and don't have extra cars so that's is, for all intents and purposes, my sports car and family car. So I think we an agree to not disagree but acknowledge different circumstances. My car has a warranty past the pay off date which gives me piece of mind as well. I'm in for a new experience and I'm sure just like your new max there will be some highs and lows. I would appreciate to turn this into a discussion rather than a debate so we can learn from one another as opposed to keep score...
Old 09-03-2016, 11:11 AM

So I understand more now that you explained more. You have a play car I assume and don't want to have two expensive maintenance cars? Did you lease your maxima? Why or why not? All cars have TSB's etc. Honda, Toyota and any others you can think of. They all have huge issues and the more informed we are the more we find out the bad more so than the good. Don't forget that the chassis you have purchased is basically 10 yrs old and there have been huge issues with blocks and trans. Anyway I would like to know if you downsized to reallocate money to something else then that was a decision based on your needs and not so much the quality of one car over another. You didn't want to afford the bmw anymore so you chose to move away from them for something more well rounded and economical. I'm in a different situation and don't have extra cars so that's is, for all intents and purposes, my sports car and family car. So I think we an agree to not disagree but acknowledge different circumstances. My car has a warranty past the pay off date which gives me piece of mind as well. I'm in for a new experience and I'm sure just like your new max there will be some highs and lows. I would appreciate to turn this into a discussion rather than a debate so we can learn from one another as opposed to keep score...
I leased my Maxima too - I think in this thread and others, I noted total out-of-pocket costs (including the stupid Georgia TAVT = 7% of value up-front or capitalized over loan) were $16.5k.

I'm just at a point in which I don't want to spend $53k for a lease over three years (2016 BMW 750i xDrive, I'm looking at you).

And the Maxima has great features, the leather is nice, it's unique (ish), is reasonably quick, etc.

What else was I really going to get in this price range? Acura TLX 4-cylinder (I hate the navi - that's why we dumped our 2014 MDX early)? Kia? Hyundai? Buick?
Old 09-03-2016, 12:49 PM

Now that's a discussion. I'm trying on a new pair of shoes with this 750 and I test drove new max and I have two boys who are already growing like weeds. The back sea of my max was taking a beating and now they can't even reach it! Not sure on leases as I've never done one but been tempted as I could potentially get a new high end car but don't like the "left with nothing" at the end you know. So why do you lease? Write off? Company allowance? I've always owned cars and even when I sell early I'm always right side up with $K's of equity to use on the next. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2016, 02:10 PM

We've got about 800 miles on our new Max and are REALLY enjoying it! Over the years, we've had cars that were faster and some that were more luxurious, however we both agree that this new Max is the perfect blend of everything!

We bought the 2017 Platinum with the Medallion Package. Bordeaux Black with Charcoal interior. We also paid and extra $950 to have the dealer install the SR 19" wheels and tires.

Here are some of the vehicles we test drove extensively before buying the Max and our reasoning for the choice we made. We test drove each of these vehicle at least three or more times each over a two month period. We made sure to test each one in real life city and hwy conditions. We worked the heck out of each of these sales associates. We also made sure to leave great internet reviews for the Sales Associates that we did not buy vehicles from, for all the time they invested in us.

2017 Lincoln MKZ
Reserve Model Equipped with Luxury and Technology Packages
pros:
-3.0 Twin Turbo had really good pull above 40 mph!
-Has great "cockpit" feel front cabin.
-21 speaker Revel stereo system was impeccable!
-Very smooth and quiet on hwy. Significantly better than Maxima.
-Nice rear passenger legroom.
-Massaging front seats are great!
-Nice looking rear end that set itself apart from other cars, especially with the "all-across the back" rear brake light.

cons:
-Poor front headroom and legroom. I'm 5'11" and my legs were always bent and my head would hit the ceiling every time I looked upwards. The model without the sunroof had a little more headroom.
-Price was about $8,500 more for equally equipped.
-3.0 engine performance is mediocre until the turbos get spooled up.
-Sport mode stiffened things up but car was still not "Fun to drive" like the Maxima.
-Did not have 360 camera view system like Maxima. Only rear camera.
-Lincoln has very poor value retention.
-Very restricted exterior and interior color combination choices.
-Front end and sides look to generic like too many other cars on the road.

2017 Honda Accord
Touring Model
pros:
-About $6,000 less than Maxima.
-Nice rear passenger legroom.
-Quiet and smooth on the hwy. Seemed a tiny bit better than Maxima.
-Very good looking front end!
-Really liked the blind-spot camera and how it automatically comes on when trying to make a lane change to the right.

cons:
-Sides and rear end are very "blah", especially the "plain Jane" rear end. Looks just like most other cars on the road. Doesn't stand out in traffic whatsoever.
-No 360 view camera system.
-No fun factor. Looks, performs and handles generally well, but nothing exciting about it.
-Center console way too low. Doesn't have the nice "cockpit" feel we were after.
-Dual touchscreens just look out of place and seems like there's "too much going on" for the dash area. Not appealing at all.
-V6 engine has good pickup with only one or two people in the car. Really loses acceleration with three or more adults in the car. Very noticeable drop in performance.

2017 Acura TLX
With Advance and Technology Packages
pros:
-Great interior and exterior color combination choices.
-Smooth and quiet on hwy. Slightly better than Maxima.
-Exact same price as the Maxima we bought and having the Acura puts you in a "luxury class", which has a little better service amenities than a non luxury vehicle like Maxima.

cons:
-Horribly ugly "Metal Beak" on the front grill!
-Hated the way the engine shut off every time we came to a stop. Very noticeable and the Air Conditioning seemed to quit blowing cool air when we sat at red lights. Very cheesy way of trying to meet EPA standards!
-Worst rear passenger legroom of any car we test drove. Very bad.
-Center console way too low. Doesn't have the nice "cockpit" feel we were after.
-No 360 view camera system. Only reverse.
-Looks too much like a Honda Accord and doesn't set itself apart from other cars on the road. Too generic. The Accord is much less expensive than Acura, and has way more rear passenger legroom and even has the blind-spot camera. Can't believe Acura doesn't have the blind spot camera like Accord??
-Just like Accord, V6 engine has good pickup with only one or two people in the car. Really loses acceleration with three or more adults in the car. Very noticeable drop in performance.

We were also considering the Infiniti Q50, but didn't even test drive it after we sat in the one on the showroom floor. Very cramped and the rear seat leg room was just as bad as the Acura TLX. It just seemed too much like the old G37 to us.

The Maxima won us over every time we went back to test drive it. We've never owned a Maxima before this one. My wife really loves the 360 view camera system. It also had the best "cockpit" feel over any other car we test drove. We took our two adult sons out to dinner in it last weekend. It still has great pickup, even with four adults in it. Both of my sons are over 6' and we all had plenty legroom, front and back. We purchased the car in LA while visiting family and drove it back to Texas where we live. We got 33 mpg (actual hand calculated) on the hwy trip from Luling, LA to Magnolia, TX running about 75 mph most of the way. We also like the way this Maxima stands out in a crowd. It's very polarizing and stunning appearance sets it apart from other vehicles quite well!! All the compliments we have been getting from strangers is pretty cool too, makes it kind of fun to take it out in public. Don't know what it is about the Maxima, but it seems like it brings out the friendliness of strangers?? kinda weird but we enjoy the quick conversations and compliments nonetheless.

I owned a 2012 Altima Coupe SR with the 3.5 V6 a few years ago. That car was allot of fun, however the new CVT in this Maxima seems better and snappier. Even though that Altima was much smaller and lighter, this new Maxima seems like it has more pickup and tighter handling. Luv this Car!! It's a blast to drive, whenever I can get it away from my wife

I think everyone should own a Maxima, at least once in their lifetime.

Hope this information was helpful to someone!

Kind Regards,
Lou

Old 09-04-2016, 05:09 AM

Has anyone priced the extended warranties? I would like to buy the 75k mile warranty since i have it on my 7th gen and ysed it quite a few times over.

$950 for the 19" rims and tire that is cheap.. did the dealer take tge other ones back?
Old 09-04-2016, 05:45 AM

Did anyone cross shop against the Volvo S60-R Polestar thingy?
Old 09-04-2016, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by stodge
Did anyone cross shop against the Volvo S60-R Polestar thingy?
It's a rare car, expensive, and pretty old (doesn't have the new infotainment, etc. of the XC90/S90/V90).

Even if I could lease it, it would be a very poor decision.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by andremike
$950 for the 19" rims and tire that is cheap.. did the dealer take tge other ones back?
Yes, the dealer kept the wheels and rims that came with the car. Keep in mind that the car we purchased had the Medallion package and came with the Medallion wheels, which the dealer would have less trouble selling than the standard Platinum trim wheels, so that gave us a little better bargaining leverage.

Also, $950 was a "negotiated" price. They originally offered to swap the wheels for $1800. But by going back and forth between three different dealerships, I was able to get them down to $950.

It's just my opinion, but the SR wheels really compliment this new Maxima and should have been the standard wheel for Platinum trim
Old 09-04-2016, 07:19 AM

It's a rare car, expensive, and pretty old (doesn't have the new infotainment, etc. of the XC90/S90/V90).

Even if I could lease it, it would be a very poor decision.
How so? Because it's an old model?
Old 09-04-2016, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by stodge
How so? Because it's an old model?
No - normally the highest-end, specialty model (BMW M3/M4/M5, Mercedes-AMG CLS63, etc.) have terrible leases. Lowest-end cars (320i) are great leases, since you're residualizing the core and no frills.

That's also why Acuras are good lease vehicles since the packages make it easy to retain value without oddball single options like painted wheel center caps (Porsche).

In the Volvo's case, it would lease terribly because it's a $60-70k S60, when the base model starts at $32k. Same idea as a midrange M5 vs. 535i ($120k vs $60k-ish).

The "old" comment was regarding the interior and infotainment. This is the same reason I got the Maxima over an Audi A6, which is about to be replaced.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:09 AM

No - normally the highest-end, specialty model (BMW M3/M4/M5, Mercedes-AMG CLS63, etc.) have terrible leases. Lowest-end cars (320i) are great leases, since you're residualizing the core and no frills.

That's also why Acuras are good lease vehicles since the packages make it easy to retain value without oddball single options like painted wheel center caps (Porsche).

In the Volvo's case, it would lease terribly because it's a $60-70k S60, when the base model starts at $32k. Same idea as a midrange M5 vs. 535i ($120k vs $60k-ish).

The "old" comment was regarding the interior and infotainment. This is the same reason I got the Maxima over an Audi A6, which is about to be replaced.
Ah I see, thanks.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This is a good thread and I appreciate the honest evaluations of the cross shopped vehicles...interesting note about the noticeable perceived acceleration drop off with the Accord V6 when fully loaded with passengers...always good to have lots of real world feedback!
Old 09-04-2016, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by niceguy
This is a good thread and I appreciate the honest evaluations of the cross shopped vehicles...interesting note about the noticeable perceived acceleration drop off with the Accord V6 when fully loaded with passengers...always good to have lots of real world feedback!
Based on owning a ton of Honda/Acuras, I think it's a combination of how the transmission handles load (6-speed auto -- the 4-cylinder comes with a CVT) and one of VTEC's inherent flaws (great at higher RPM; not as good with low-end torque under heavy load).

I experienced something similar with my 2011 Acura MDX, but wasn't as noticeable on my 2014 MDX.

The HP/torque numbers are pretty strong (278/252).
Old 08-09-2020, 09:10 AM

Seemed every bit like a fair exchange to me. You come into a Max site extolling the virtues of your 7-series, posting pictures it (bet you got that cheap!), dissing the Max, and then when challenged by more than one Max owner you claim one-sided. Had a good chuckle on that one.