8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Platinum mirrors failing to angle down when put in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 07:47 AM

Platinum mirrors failing to angle down when put in reverse

Greetings all,
Wondered if anyone else has had this problem. If so, did they attempt to solve themselves or take to a dealer, was it associated with any other problems?
I am one to not take my vehicle to the dealer for ANY issues but may chose to do so in this case, however, if any of you have experienced this issue and know of the solution, I would love to hear about it.
thanx in advance for you input,

cheers,
Willie
Old 09-19-2016, 08:03 AM

Check your power mirror switch. The tilt-down feature only works when the switch is in either the right(passenger) or left (driver) position. If the switch is in the center, the feature is deactivated.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by wtgkb8
Check your power mirror switch. The tilt-down feature only works when the switch is in either the right(passenger) or left (driver) position. If the switch is in the center, the feature is deactivated.
Bet that is exactly what the issue is (car is not at home at this time) as I normally choose to leave it in the center position so I would not accidently move the mirrors if I hit the toggle.

Thank you very much!!!

cheers,
Willie
Old 09-19-2016, 02:02 PM

Platinum question here too- Is the "SOS" button active on the car? Is it possible to enable or disable it? What is it part of? nissan connect?
Old 09-19-2016, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by wtgkb8
yup, just verified it. I am sure it made the software/hardware easier to adhere to but IMHO, bad design.
thanx again
willie
Old 09-19-2016, 02:56 PM
Administrator

I've got two words for ya: owner's manual.

Welcome to the Org.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by willie2323
yup, just verified it. I am sure it made the software/hardware easier to adhere to but IMHO, bad design.
thanx again
willie
Actually, Nissan was not taking a short cut with this design. When we are backing up and there are no curbs or dangers down low, we sometimes need to see higher up, like backing under a structure or tree limb or near a wall or truck bed, etc, and don't want the mirrors to swivel down.

Where Nissan cut corners in this area was in not giving us power folding mirrors. Because of that shortcoming, we automatically turned down all homes with garage doors less than nine feet wide during our home search last year. That eliminated around 70% of homes from consideration.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:16 PM

Loth that seems a strange qualification for a house purchase to fit your car! Everyone wants different features to fit their needs! That's a new one though. This country gives the opportunity to be so specific it's great. We can buy a car that fits our favorite coffee mug of a house to fit our car ;-)
Old 09-20-2016, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by BIGIRISHSTL
Loth that seems a strange qualification for a house purchase to fit your car! Everyone wants different features to fit their needs! That's a new one though. This country gives the opportunity to be so specific it's great. We can buy a car that fits our favorite coffee mug of a house to fit our car ;-)
That qualification results from over sixty-seven years of driving, and growing very tired of inching into and out of garages that have a clearance of well under a foot from the mirrors to the edge of the opening. That was OK when I was young. But now, being well into my eighties, having a neck that no longer swivels, and entering and leaving the garage an average of probably five times per day, with my wife also entering and leaving with her truck several times each day, we decided that, since we can afford any home in which we might have an interest, why bother looking at homes where we will be enduring this constriction many times every day?

Yes, the overhead view we have in the Platinum enables us to enter and leave close openings if we go very slowly and carefully, but garages with narrow doors usually do not have room to open all car doors fully once inside. Getting very old bodies in and out of cars is much easier when the doors can be fully opened. My wife and I are putting comfort and convenience first in our waning years.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 09-20-2016 at 10:47 PM.