8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Tips, Tricks, and hidden features!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 05:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Tips, Tricks, and hidden features!

please post any Tips, Tricks, or hidden features you know of.

here are the ones I have found.

Interior Black Out
At night with the lights on turn the illumination all the way down and the gauges and most of the interior lights go out.

Remote Windows Down
Press and hold the the unlock button on your key for a couple seconds and the front windows go down.

Pen Holder
under the arm rest there is a pen holder and an insurance card holder

Glove compartment
glove compartment light works only when headlights are on

Cruise Control
speed adjustments one short click - 1 mph change, long click - 5 mph change.

Last edited by dkswim; 11-25-2016 at 02:44 PM. Reason: add
Old 11-25-2016, 12:50 AM

Glove compartment

Not a hidden trick but a pet-peeve: The glove compartment light won't go on unless the headlights are on.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Found another one today

Cruise Control
speed adjustments one short click - 1 mph change, long click - 5 mph change.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

pressing up or down on the steering wheel station control you will hear a beep and the radio with tune 1 station at a time. short press will advance to pre set

also- remote start of heated steering wheel. i have found you need to turn it on just before turning car off.

anyone on how to turn on front and rear defogger remotely?
Old 12-21-2016, 02:14 PM

Heated steering wheel, front and rear defogger turn on automatically on a remote start when the ambient temperature and in-car temperature require it. (Whether you turn them on before you turn the car off, or not.)
Old 12-23-2016, 05:57 AM

Camera on the platinum only active below 5 mph. Pretty annoying when pulling into a parking spot. Love the feature but would like it to be active sooner.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:51 AM

The phone holder in the little cubby in the console is the perfect size for 2 packs of Trident gum side by side.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by sdomingues
Heated steering wheel, front and rear defogger turn on automatically on a remote start when the ambient temperature and in-car temperature require it. (Whether you turn them on before you turn the car off, or not.)
I have found differently, if i turn on heated steering just before turning off car it will be on and heated when i start remotely. as far as front and rear defrost, we had 5 inches of snow and single digit temps and was not on when i remote started. wonder what it will take for them to turn on?
Old 12-25-2016, 02:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sunroof tilt feature

Ok, most of you may have already known this, I just noticed it the other day after having the car for 5 mo. I am not one to open the owners manual and read everything, lol.
Obviously if you pull back on the sunroof switch it opens and if you push forward it closes. Just realized if you push the switch in (up) it activates the tilt feature, which leaves the front of the sunroof down and only lifts the rear of the sun roof open, which is great at highway speeds because it allows natural ventilation in the cabin and gives a more open feel while driving without as much wind noise when the sunroof is open on the slide.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by WarAdmiral
Ok, most of you may have already known this, I just noticed it the other day after having the car for 5 mo. I am not one to open the owners manual and read everything, lol.
Obviously if you pull back on the sunroof switch it opens and if you push forward it closes. Just realized if you push the switch in (up) it activates the tilt feature, which leaves the front of the sunroof down and only lifts the rear of the sun roof open, which is great at highway speeds because it allows natural ventilation in the cabin and gives a more open feel while driving without as much wind noise when the sunroof is open on the slide.
Heck. I read the manual and totally missed this one - and I had that feature on my previous car. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by holdmtight
I have found differently, if i turn on heated steering just before turning off car it will be on and heated when i start remotely. as far as front and rear defrost, we had 5 inches of snow and single digit temps and was not on when i remote started. wonder what it will take for them to turn on?
Mine works in cold weather by turning on the heated wheel and rear defrosters if I use remote start regarldless of any earlier switch postions.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

No problem.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:13 AM

Question Turning of TC results with no shift points!

Has anyone turned off the traction control and do a 0mph to 100mph test? Not sure if its a tip or a trick but when you turn it off you do get a burn out but what I noticed was there are no simulated shift points you get max RPM all the way thru while you get up to speed. So just want to confirm that this is normal with other models. I am in the 2017 Platinum.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by unreal2k1
Has anyone turned off the traction control and do a 0mph to 100mph test? Not sure if its a tip or a trick but when you turn it off you do get a burn out but what I noticed was there are no simulated shift points you get max RPM all the way thru while you get up to speed. So just want to confirm that this is normal with other models. I am in the 2017 Platinum.
I will try this today! I do not like the simulated shift points.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:15 PM

I got higher shift points it felt like, but it still dropped rpm closer to red line.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher
I got higher shift points it felt like, but it still dropped rpm closer to red line.
I have been away since I last posted on vacation so that car has been sleeping in the parking lot in the city since the 6th of January. So I will have to test out the traction control being off again when I get up in the mountains where I live later this week and update on what I see. Hopefully the roads are not wet this time and I get better results. This is on the 2017 Platinum by the way. I would assume all the trims are the same when it comes to the traction control. Only thing I see different on the platinum is the FEB light turns on when the TCS is off.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:08 AM

AC Unit from °F to °C

Anybody figured out how to make the display on the AC unit show temps in °C instead of °F, if at all possible? 2017 Platinum.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:32 PM

Most of you probably know this, but when you're filling up the tank the fuel door has a holder for the fuel cap. This way it's not hanging down on the paint. This is my first vehicle with this feature.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:00 PM

I am not a front to back manual reader either, so I was pleasantly surprised to find out the horn beeps and the hazards flash when you reach the recommended psi when inflating the tires.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Ambivalent
Not a hidden trick but a pet-peeve: The glove compartment light won't go on unless the headlights are on.
Mt peeve is that I cannot mount a SERPA holster for my Glock 23 as easily in the center console as I have on my Titan...

Hmm....guess I'll have to buy a Glock 27 and SERPA to fit it, huh?

Old 04-05-2017, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by MD36
Most of you probably know this, but when you're filling up the tank the fuel door has a holder for the fuel cap. This way it's not hanging down on the paint. This is my first vehicle with this feature.
This is something that is on 98% of all cars now (and in the past), unless you own a ford of the past 7 years with the quick fill capless feature.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:56 PM

You can turn the entire center console screen off. If for whatever reason you don't want it on. I woke up early one morning, rolled right out of bed and into the car to drive. My eyes weren't even adjusted yet, and even on its dimmest setting, the nav screen was so bright it hurt my eyes.
If you press the day/night switch on the top right of the center console for about 2-3 seconds, the screen goes blank and only shows you the time.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:41 AM

You can scroll thru the radio pre-sets using the rotary **** on the console. this allows you to keep the info screen on the dash on the screen that shows the road your on with the speed limit.

1. Be sure you are in radio mode on the screen. 2. Pull down on the rotary **** until the Audio icon on the bottom of the screen is highlighted in orange. 3. Then touch one of the preset stations. The preset should turn on an orange highlight. 4. While the preset is highlighted, you can scroll from preset to preset using the ****. Just press down on the **** to select the station. Hope this makes sense.

This comes in handy for listening to different sports games, like MLB. I set the game broadcasts I want to listen to on SXM and i can scroll from one to another easily.

Of course you can use the steering wheel control but as far as I understand you have to be in the audio screen on the dash.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Exclamation Lighting & Passenger seating question.

I have a few questions....

I have the base model. 2016 Nissan Maxima.

1.How do you adjust the passenger seat?
2.Is there a way to have all my lights on while the wipers are on?

*I've noticed when you have the windshield wipers on only your lights and fog lights are on, not the daytime running lights. as opposed to at night when they are all on*

3.What's good for cleaning the seats. I have Tan interior and something spilled on the seat and i don't know how or what to use to clean it.
4.How much do you guys usually pay for an oil change?

Help please & Thanks in advance.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:35 AM

I found out yesterday that you cannot set the cruise control over 90MPH. lol
Old 07-31-2017, 10:18 AM

"1.How do you adjust the passenger seat?"

Buy a different car? :P You can't - Nissan is in fully penny pinching mode with this one.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:42 AM

Let me know if you figure it out. I have a 23 and a 17. Both gen 4's. May need to get a 42.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:13 AM

So on my Altimas I found a way to disable the auto locking feature. Not sure if it works on the new Max or not yet as it has more options (like unlock in park) that make it work better. If anyone is interested I can post the steps.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:39 AM

I was sitting in the car yesterday during a rain storm with the radio on and after a few minutes, the doors locked themselves. Then I discovered that if the radio is on and the engine isn't running, the car will cut itself off to save the battery and after that I discovered that when the doors lock and you're inside, when you open the door, the horn alarm will go off.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:17 AM

Is there a way to get the '16-'17 Maxima to stay in "sport" mode so I don't have to remember to push the button every time I get in?
Old 08-11-2017, 07:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

If you have Sirius XM account, all of the "online only" stations are accessible from the head unit. Just need to direct access the channel or crank the tuning **** to the right a bunch of times. No commercials and some good stations!
Old 08-11-2017, 07:42 PM

So I don't quite understand what the shift paddles do if you pull them while in D mode. Does it basically cause it to "downshift" the ratio for passing or shift it up if you are done accelerating and want to force it into a higher ratio? I haven't played with it much - I thought they weren't active unless you were over in the manual shift gate.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Iroll3
If you have Sirius XM account, all of the "online only" stations are accessible from the head unit. Just need to direct access the channel or crank the tuning **** to the right a bunch of times. No commercials and some good stations!
Can you please give some more detail on how you did this? I tried inputting the channel numbers (750 for example - Cinemagic) from the direct input screen (SXM Menu -> Direct Tune [you have to be stopped for the option to be available]) and all I got was a message that the channel was unavailable.

Do you need some kind of Nissan internet service? Because it's not coming over the satellites as best as I can tell.

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:09 PM

Key link?

What the heck is the "key link"?
Old 08-17-2017, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by macdonjh
What the heck is the "key link"?
Key Link is super useful, its used for saving settings rather than using the buttons on the driver's door. It ties steering wheel/seat settings to each key, so if for example you and your wife share the car, when you use your key, it automatically sets the seat to your preference. When she uses her kay, it sets them to her preference.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by jgilbs
Key Link is super useful, its used for saving settings rather than using the buttons on the driver's door. It ties steering wheel/seat settings to each key, so if for example you and your wife share the car, when you use your key, it automatically sets the seat to your preference. When she uses her kay, it sets them to her preference.
That's what its used for?! Wow I never knew that! How do you set the seat preferences in the memory?
Old 08-18-2017, 09:44 AM

Key link?

Too bad I have a "S", not so useful for me.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:29 AM

I just found out about the color customization of the Maxima icon when you start up the car. That's so cool!
Old 08-18-2017, 05:36 PM

I have an SR so mine doesn't have memory seats and the power tilt/telescope steering wheel, but I believe the other thing the car will recognize between keys is the radio presets. I know this works in my wife's Pathfinder Platinum, I assume it is similar in the Maxima. It does flash a message in the instrument cluster screen when I start the car indicating which key is in use.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by drakutis
I just found out about the color customization of the Maxima icon when you start up the car. That's so cool!
You got me. What do you mean? I've had my Maxima for 2 weeks. Tons to learn!

Quick Reply: Tips, Tricks, and hidden features!