8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Condensation in Fog-lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 12:55 PM

Condensation in Fog-lights

Hello Everyone -

New to the forums and have been reading the issues with condensation in the 2016 Nissan Maxima Fog-lights. Now, before I begin my experience with my specific case, I want you to know I have already read through the posts of others having issues and also read through their remedies. I want to start a separate thread so I can have some fresh and current perspective

I was noodling around YouTube one evening about three months ago and came across some vids of people changing out their bulbs on their cars to LEDs. So, I thought I would order some back-up bulbs and license plate bulbs for the rear plate. I ordered these through Diode Dynamics since they were considered one of the top tier businesses to get these bulbs through. I got them in and installed them and I was very impressed with the results. Then I came across people changing out their fog-light bulbs and it seemed pretty straight forward, so I started looking for reviews of those that did this and their feedback. I found this forum, along with some other reviews online, and most people said that they had good results. However, I did read some posts of those who had problems with condensation after replacing the bulbs. I decided to go ahead and order four of the H11 XP80 Cool White bulbs.

I got them in and installed them (easy job), but the next morning I had condensation on the lenses. I came back to these forums and read some solutions that some of you had posted and tried those. I air hosed the water out of the housing, hair dried the housings and set a large floor fan against the housings to be sure they were completely dry before reassembling. Still got condensation. Took the bulbs back out and marine siliconed the rubber gaskets then reassembled. Still got condensation. Switched the rubber gaskets that came with the new bulbs to the factory gaskets (because the factory gaskets were more rigid than the ones that came with the aftermarket bulbs) still got condensation. As you can imagine, I'm pretty much at my limit with this retarded project and ready to break something.

I call Diode Dynamics and explain my plight to them and they said there was really nothing they could do for me. They said the housing for the plug the bulb comes in is a universal plug and is OEM spec'd, so that hasn't changed anything as it relates to how the plug itself seats into the fog light housing. I inspected both factory plug and Diode Dynamic's plug, and the end result was that both were identical plugs. The only difference was the rubber gasket and Diode Dynamic's gasket was softer and a bit taller than OEM. I read that the gasket was the problem. So, I went back and forth with OEM and Diode Dynamic's gaskets, yet still got condensation in the fog light housing.

I wound up taking my car to the Nissan dealer where I get my service done (great crew) and walked through this insane thing I'm dealing with. Of course, because there aren't droves of people changing out their bulbs in these fog lights, they've never heard of this phenomenon taking place. Nevertheless, I got them to order me two brand new fog lights and install them under warranty. The lights came in with factory halogens in place and they then proceeded to get me in and do the switch. They pulled the halogens out and put the LEDs in. I drove out with brand new fog lights and the LED bulbs. The next morning I went to garage and low and behold, MORE FREAKING CONDENSATION!

Ok, I am now at my limit with this satanic ritual I feel I am performing and I surly feel I'm in hell. I call the dealership again and cry about condensation (not their fault) and get them to agree to re-order two more brand new fog light assemblies. I decided to just leave the stock halogens in the lights and call it a day. I just got back from the dealer.

I know this little story (tirade) has gone long, and I'm sure some of you have given up on finishing this read to the end, but if there are any of you that have stuck with me, I would be eternally grateful if you could shine some sort of light on this horrible and evil experience I have endured. I do believe I may need an exorcist at this point to convince me the power of Christ compels me.

There are two breather caps on each end of the housing (blue caps) that can be pulled off. Under each cap is, for the lack of a better description, a small tab of white cellophane on a port that can be peeled off. This white cellophane tab comes sealed from the factory and allows the housing to equalize pressure and ambient temp with in the housing. I'm wondering if I should peel the tabs off so the holes will be then opened. I never had any issues with condensation until I pulled out the stock halogens. After that, it has been a nightmare.

Any feedback would be appreciated. However, I do need a solution, not guesses. I know there are some of you that have had no issues replacing these bulbs. I want to be just like you when I grow up.

Last edited by Ed Hanson; 11-28-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:54 PM

Just ask your dealer to use both seals from the original and replacement bulb. I did it on mine and no condensation till today.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by xydehead
Just ask your dealer to use both seals from the original and replacement bulb. I did it on mine and no condensation till today.
I appreciate the reply. I never thought of using both gaskets. With all the issues I've had, I'm a bit reluctant to pop out those bulbs and try it now. I do still have the LED bulbs and would love to use them. I'll need to ponder this before I make a decision.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:49 PM

It's pretty annoying, my dealer always says some condensation is "normal"... Mine always had small bits of condensation in the corners of the housing... depending on the weather mine goes away. I was going to do LEDS but I read all the horror stories of the condensation getting worse so I went with yellow tinted halogens bulbs.. if you come up with a solution that works please post it here! I plan on trying that double gasket method with the leds soon.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:27 PM

I don't know why everyone is worry, i did my since day one i wash my car truth a carwash at list 2 to 3 times a week,never had issues and i did only one seal.Condensation in Fog-lights-photo432.jpg
Old 11-29-2016, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by A36-SR
I don't know why everyone is worry, i did my since day one i wash my car truth a carwash at list 2 to 3 times a week,never had issues and i did only one seal.Attachment 9907
That's kind of an ignorant statement to make. Obviously others have had issues. You're not the only one that has a Maxima. We're glad you have had no issues, but there are those that have had issues. Ambient temps and humidity in a geographical region will play into this to some degree.

Last edited by Ed Hanson; 12-27-2016 at 06:52 PM.