8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Winter Rim Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 08:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Winter Rim Question

Hello,
I purchased a 2016 SR earlier this year and will be using a set of Dunlop Winter Sport M3 tires on it for the winter. With my last Maxima I always had the tires swapped over to the OEM rims for the winter. Given that I have the black 19" rims on my SR I am worried about their ability to hold up in the winter. I am looking for opinions on whether or not I should just keep swapping the tires over as I had in the past or whether I should purchase a set of rims.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:29 AM

If you have the storage space for the tires, just get an extra set of rims with sensors. The durability and aesthetics of a rim will suffer if tires are constantly removed/replaced and balanced...scratches, bends dents, sensor damage...it seems like a lot of hassle. And with them on wheels, you can swap them out in your driveway in 30 minutes. So you don't have to wait for time to get in the shop.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks. Any recommendations on rims? I dont want to spend a fortune on rims. Tire rack has cheap Sport Edition rims but I have read both good and bad about that brand.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:18 AM

I rum my winter tires on the OE rims, and have all season tires on after market rims.

I would consider a moderately priced alloy rim for winter.

Lots to choose from: http://www.autoanything.com/wheels-r...SortPriority=1
Old 12-12-2016, 04:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the recommendations. I am having an issue with the dealership not wanting to install the tires and new rims on the car without me purchasing the TPMS for the winter setup.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:19 AM

The dealer is following NHTSA's regulations. The government believes that enough people are incapable of paying attention to their tire inflation, to justify threatening dealers that don't knuckle under to the nanny state rules.

"To avoid a make-inoperative violation, the service provider would need to decline to install the new tires and rims, use the TPMS sensors from the original wheels (if they are compatible), or convince the motorist to purchase new TPMS sensors and ensure that the sensors are properly integrated with the vehicle´s TPMS system."

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/...NEWS/311239995

I am fortunate to have found a tire dealer that trusts me to keep my tires inflated properly.